• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oops! I did it again.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not know Pear wood could be that beautiful. Very nice.
Any wood can look great when a talented artist is involved! I could potentially take the most beautiful piece of wood nature ever created, and if if not appied correctly, make it look like manure!
Edit: It's funny how PC has taken over. The word I used was a 4 letter word that started with the letter "C". It was automatically changed, without my permission, to "manure"?!

Last edited:
I wonder how gunstock blanks are sawn. It can make a huge difference in the appearance of the wood.
I have a quarter sawn sycamore kitchen counter. Flat sawn sycamore would be a contender in a contest for the most boring wood. But quarter sawn sycamore runs from beautiful to gorgeous.

I wonder how gunstock blanks are sawn. It can make a huge difference in the appearance of the wood.
I have a quarter sawn sycamore kitchen counter. Flat sawn sycamore would be a contender in a contest for the most boring wood. But quarter sawn sycamore runs from beautiful to gorgeous.
Quarter sawn is the most used method. The grain must be straight, especially in the wrist area.

If I am paying big money for a rifle it better be the coolest figured bling bling that man carries. Just me though every one is different. I am part Hungarian so that’s the Gypsy coming out…

Not necessarily plain. In my experience, It's not uncommon for it to have some figure. At least the pear I've used and had available. I consider it to be a fantastic stock wood. Creamy smooth in texture that carves great. I have a custom rifle stocked in pear that I built years ago on my website. Check it out.

Rifle #3

If memory serves me I thought that pear wood can be brittle also, but sometimes my memory serves none. I guess it would depend on specific species and region of harvest. When you see the Bradford pears snapped off at the ground (callery pears) it makes you wonder. They are in the rosaceae family as are apple, cherry, plum, and peach. If it accidentally breaks you can use it to smoke your pork butt with it, on the positive. I think it's a nice piece of wood.

I have a Woodsrunner stock hanging up that was shaped from a nice piece of pear. It's probably my favorite stock we've run in months and we run some fantastic curly maple. I've not seen any issues with it being brittle or shearing across the grain. In fact, it really is a great stock wood in all regards. At least in my view...

It could be the variety of pear as well, I think the sometimes the species getting hybridized can affect everything, nice size and shape, great flower/fruit- terrible structure in grain which causes faults as it ages then it can get brittle like how some sassafras or locust varieties become.
But as a landscape plant it looks great for the first 8-10 years (ramblings of a farfetched horticulturist from long ago). I am and always will be learning this long rifle building affliction and my woodworking abilities aren't anything to brag about but that's why I enjoy this forum, just being able to bounce ideas off and absorb information on the subject is great. There are a lot of true craftspeople online. Could a long rifle be made with an heirloom variety of peach or apricot, or possibly apple? I think they used to make clock gears out of apple wood.

Back