• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oops! I did it again.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got another Kibler kit on the way. Paid for it this morning. This time it's an SMR with figured pear wood stock. My previous order was for a cherry woodsrunner.

Pear is not at all a commonly used, and almost never for gunstocks. Most pear used in the US is imported from Europe.i can imagine this rifle being one of a kind -- still a Kibler, but with an unmatched stock. Pear can run from a pale, pinkish, Caucasian-white to a toasty brown? It changes hue as it oxidizes. Pear weighes more per cubic foot than walnut. I have no idea yet how I'll finish it, perhaps I'll wait for it to oxidize. I don't want to srain it dark, as maple generally is, rather I want it to be obvious it is some kind of fruit wood

I have other projects to finish, and the Woosrunner will come first. There will be pictures as I can take them.

Pear wood is slightly heavier than walnut. It is very hard, so you best spend a little time sharpening your tools! Then sharpen them some more!

I've got another Kibler kit on the way. Paid for it this morning. This time it's an SMR with figured pear wood stock. My previous order was for a cherry woodsrunner.

Pear is not at all a commonly used, and almost never for gunstocks. Most pear used in the US is imported from Europe.i can imagine this rifle being one of a kind -- still a Kibler, but with an unmatched stock. Pear can run from a pale, pinkish, Caucasian-white to a toasty brown? It changes hue as it oxidizes. Pear weighes more per cubic foot than walnut. I have no idea yet how I'll finish it, perhaps I'll wait for it to oxidize. I don't want to srain it dark, as maple generally is, rather I want it to be obvious it is some kind of fruit wood

I have other projects to finish, and the Woosrunner will come first. There will be pictures as I can take them.
Please share pictures!

I have to agree with that. I personally like only the highest figured curly maple. Of course, spalted maple can be eye candy, as can fiddleback walnut.
I respectfully disagree.

I think plain wood can be beautiful, certainly leaves less to hide imperfections behind as well.

I am slowly taking my first steps toward getting a muzzleloader out of the states at great expense. I'm thinking cherry over highly figured maple.
I do have a cz550 with fiddleback walnut and a hawken with nicely figured maple, both are beautiful.

I respectfully disagree.

I think plain wood can be beautiful, certainly leaves less to hide imperfections behind as well.

I am slowly taking my first steps toward getting a muzzleloader out of the states at great expense. I'm thinking cherry over highly figured maple.
I do have a cz550 with fiddleback walnut and a hawken with nicely figured maple, both are beautiful.
There are several suitable woods for gun stocks. Ash makes a great choice, and there are other woods that can be on the plain side, so to speak. What really makes a good stock? Someone who has the talents to make the proper lines and fit.

Very nice , that was going to me my next one the kibler SMR in 45.. but the wife just got me a very nice .62 rifle so for now I am happy with my Kibler cherry stock smoothbore 58 colonial and my custom. Maple 62 rifle. Can't wait to see the pictures of that pear wood!
I would like to see pictures of your .62. I have a Hawken .62 full stock flint. I shot three deer, and none of them had to be tracked. Too old now to hunt big game. I can still carry tree rats out of the woods with no problem. Tasty, fried with gravy, biscuits, and taters with onions!

I would like to see pictures of your .62. I have a Hawken .62 full stock flint. I shot three deer, and none of them had to be tracked. Too old now to hunt big game. I can still carry tree rats out of the woods with no problem. Tasty, fried with gravy, biscuits, and taters with onions!
+1 on more information and pics of the 62

The pear coming my way was thought to be worth a premium wood price. I phoned and asked about ash. When I was told how nice the pear is I jumped on it. Agreed pear can be plain, I've carved a bit of it, but the SMR stock is supposed to be the opposite.

Last edited:
The pear coming my way was thought to be worth a premium wood price. I phoned and asked about ash. When I was told how nice the pear is I jumped on it. Agreed pear can be plain, I've carved a bit of it, but the SMR stock is supposed to be the opposite.
It will be a neat wood to work with. Maybe ask for a few additional pieces of scrap wood so you can try a bunch of different stains.

Back