• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Commercial type plastic foam padded handgun case.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know many of you fellow BP enthusiasts have bought and sold handguns which were shipped by one method or the other.
I have a couple BP handguns I'm considering selling. my question is this, will a commercial plastic foam padded handgun case be substantial enough for safe/secure shipping? I've never shipped any firearms through the mail, and I really don't want to make boxes.
Looking for your opinions,advise.
Thank you!
Merry Christmas everyone!

i dont think you would want them going through the mail in a pistol case , lookin like a pistol. [ think about that] i would put the case in a box. or by making boxes do you mean like a wooden padded box? merry christmas.

i dont think you would want them going through the mail in a pistol case , lookin like a pistol. [ think about that] i would put the case in a box. or by making boxes do you mean like a wooden padded box? merry christmas.
Yes, I was thinking about a home built padded wooden box. I would put the plastic case in another cardboard box.

I would put inside another box as well. Makes sense to me.
Another thing to consider is the weight. Anything over 15 ounces and over 12 inches is extra. Unless it fits in a flat rate box. 1851 Navies fit in a small flat rate box in two pieces. Remington or fixed barrels will fit in a medium. These are Priority mail. If you use your own box it can go Ground Advantage and cheaper. I don't know about UPS or FedEx. They are too far from me and don't use them much.

I’ve shipped a lot of handguns. Plastic case is great. Put it in a USPS flat rate box. Fed X and UPS are more expensive and prone to theft and Gorilla damage. Dont ship to an address with a Gun Shop or Pawn shop address. Good luck

I bought an 1860 Army from a fella on here. No original box, just a heavy cardboard box. I think the bubble wrap and packaging tape weighed more than the revolver. She arrived perfect.

It doesnt matter what im selling, i overpack so there is no possible way for damage (and no possible way for the buyer to claim damage from light packing.) Since I dont discard original boxes nor original stuff inside them, I take all of that and into a much larger box full of bubble so that nothing bounces around. Whatever the shipping charge, then thats what it is, sorry!

Veering off the topic, years back I bought a marine sextant from India and the seller so grotesquely overpacked the thing I started laughing. It took a good 20 minutes to finally get it all undone but it was in perfect condition. I should have made a video of that unboxing. Another time, I bought a small external HD directly from Seagate and it arrived in a pretty large box. It was the HD surrounded by 7 inches of dense, car seat foam on all sides -- impossible to damage. When I sell house stuff on Ebay, sometimes its the item in a box, then in a larger box, then in a third box, each pumped up with bubble taking up plenty of space on all sides of each box.

Likewise, if I bought something out of here I would ask for overpacking, not the minimum. We're only going to do it once so do it right, screw the charges.

Last edited:
Throughout the years I've received two revolvers and one rifle with the barrel sticking out of the box. So for sure, protect the muzzle and the tang if applicable.

I once received an old bolt action French unmentionable rifle with the bolt handle sticking out of the box. Some shippers are lazy when it comes to packaging.

I have been packing and shipping rifles for my son and I for many years. He has always declared contents and printed his own labels. I dumpster dive and find boxes from toys or camping gear etc. and reconfigure them leaving the discription visible. Of the hundreds of guns I have shipped I have never had someone claim damage. I also tend to over pack using a fair amount of cut to fit styrofoam.

Walmart sells plastic cases at very reasonable prices for both handguns and long guns. I have shipped long guns in their cases without any problem via USPS. I use packing tape to help secure the closed. I also go to Harbor Freight and buy a padlock. I mail one key separately for the recipient to use. As said, never a problem.

Latest posts

Back