• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One HIGHLY chiseled Petronel!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Something to shoot for (pardon the pun) in my retirement, i.e., as in building ....

Petronel1.jpg

Petronel2.jpg

Petronel3.jpg

It was hung over a fireplace and the fire got too hot, it melted the stock….😇

Greetings,
Hope it's OK to chime in here, I like this very much but if you do, do it, you want to check with your barrel maker. I did a Barrel a couple years back and the Maker used 8620 Steal Alloy " Not Fun" if you're going to try this kinda work find a Barrel Maker that will make it out of something like 12L14. The originals where Wrought Iron and that is really nice to work. Modern alloys are a gripe. Thanks, Hank

LOL !!! If you're serious, keep an eye out for Czerny's auctions. Similar original, ornate miquelet locks often turn up there. if sold, usually at a reasonable price.

Now, the barrel: As Henry mentions.....that is a whole challenge in itself. LOL

Rick

LOL !!! If you're serious, keep an eye out for Czerny's auctions. Similar original, ornate miquelet locks often turn up there. if sold, usually at a reasonable price.

Now, the barrel: As Henry mentions.....that is a whole challenge in itself. LOL

Rick
It seems like these auctions sometimes have cool old barrels for sale. Otherwise, flint may have to learn Pukka Bundook’s archaic ways!

It seems like these auctions sometimes have cool old barrels for sale. Otherwise, flint may have to learn Pukka Bundook’s archaic ways!
Yes, barrels do turn up occasionally. And they often sell for more than the locks for some reason. Especially if they are very old.

Rick

Greetings,
Hope it's OK to chime in here, I like this very much but if you do, do it, you want to check with your barrel maker. I did a Barrel a couple years back and the Maker used 8620 Steal Alloy " Not Fun" if you're going to try this kinda work find a Barrel Maker that will make it out of something like 12L14. The originals where Wrought Iron and that is really nice to work. Modern alloys are a gripe. Thanks, Hank
What kind of tooling were you using to carve the barrel you did?

What kind of tooling were you using to carve the barrel you did?
Greetings,
I wish I could give you a quick list but can't. I use everything in the shop. The French barrels were 8620 Round Tapered so I needed to take a bunch off. I used a 3/4" Round Diamond Rotary File in the Foredom I also used my GRS Engraving setup but had to use the C-Max Gravers because the HSS gravers wouldn't hold up. Don't look too hard they aren't perfect it's just me trying to figure out how it might have been done. I also used Different Stones. Finishing I used Different Rubber Abrasive Wheels and Points. The Miquellets were nicer to work on because they were 12L14. I used the GRS and Hammer and Chisel also my Hand Chasing Tools. Now you might say back when they didn't have GRS Power Gravers or Foredom but they weren't using contemporary Alloys. Working Wrought Iron is doable with Hammer and Chisels and finishing in stones. I hope this helps and if you have other questions I'll try again.
Thanks,Hank

Attachments

• 20231207_161047.jpg
    20231207_161047.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231207_161218.jpg
    20231207_161218.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Greetings,
I wish I could give you a quick list but can't. I use everything in the shop. The French barrels were 8620 Round Tapered so I needed to take a bunch off. I used a 3/4" Round Diamond Rotary File in the Foredom I also used my GRS Engraving setup but had to use the C-Max Gravers because the HSS gravers wouldn't hold up. Don't look too hard they aren't perfect it's just me trying to figure out how it might have been done. I also used Different Stones. Finishing I used Different Rubber Abrasive Wheels and Points. The Miquellets were nicer to work on because they were 12L14. I used the GRS and Hammer and Chisel also my Hand Chasing Tools. Now you might say back when they didn't have GRS Power Gravers or Foredom but they weren't using contemporary Alloys. Working Wrought Iron is doable with Hammer and Chisels and finishing in stones. I hope this helps and if you have other questions I'll try again.
Thanks,Hank
Sir Elwood,
Outstanding work!

Sir Elwood,
Outstanding work!
Greetings,
I thank you for your kind thoughts. I forgot to be more specific about the Polishing Stones. These are from The Congress Tool Inc. They have a nice selection of Regular Size Stones but also Pencil Stones and Ultra Fine Ceramic Polishing Stones those are kinda steep. Also they have Hand Held Stone Holders. I like them very much because they allow you to hold the Stones in something larger for your hand to grasp. The Folks at Congress have always been helpful.
Thanks,Hank

Greetings,
Thanks,Hank
Very impressive, they look fantastic! If 8620 is too tough for a glensteel graver then I'll be looking for a different barrel material for the petronel i am starting to formulate. Thanks so much!

Very impressive, they look fantastic! If 8620 is too tough for a glensteel graver then I'll be looking for a different barrel material for the petronel i am starting to formulate. Thanks so much!
Greetings,
It's truly my pleasure. I'd like to follow your build. If I can be of any help, I'll give you my best information. Thanks,Hank

Latest posts

Back