• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oldest photograph of a dog.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's where alot the more aggressive dogs belong, rural and "out on the farm".They are not what you'd call community minded.
My daughter was given several dogs that had bitten people and were unruly because they had not been properly trained. She took them out to several friends farms where they were trained (by the pack and people) to hunt and become more sociable around people. It worked.

A rescue is definatly the way to go.
I'm almost 72 and some mobility issues due to crummy knees...(a 'gift' from my dad). My current pup, Spirit, is diabetic, blind, and 11 or 12. We don't know as she was a rescue - as were the vast majority of the 14 dogs we have had the pleasure of living with since I was a 'pup'. When Spirit, my current companion, goes I don't want a real young dog as I might 'leave her behind' so I am thinking of a senior rescue dog....assuming Spirit does not outlive me!!

Possibly the oldest photo of a dog. Albus, photographed in September 1842 by David Collins.
Loving the net game bag in the background.View attachment 211450
The dog looks like an English setter to me . I like the fact that the oldest photo of a dog is firearms associated , and muzzle loading at that . I know they used string game bags but have never seen an origional , they probably had a short life before the string rotted .
Field bred gundogs such as Labradors , Springers and Cockers are now quite different than their show bred relations . Any number of very old paintings of Gentry have a gun and at least one dog , the dog usually looks like a Pointer , Setter or Spaniel type .
There is some theory that the word Spaniel has Spanish origins from the Napoleonic wars , I doubt that ,Mary Queen of Scots was a spaniel lover and was jealous of her husband who was given a Water Spaniel in the mid 16th century . There is a Gaelic word "Sparnel" which means Hard working or arduous , which I think suits the breed .
When my current dog gets to 8 or 9 I get a new pup as the old dog helps train the pup and I am never without a trained gundog .

My daughter was given several dogs that had bitten people and were unruly because they had not been properly trained. She took them out to several friends farms where they were trained (by the pack and people) to hunt and become more sociable around people. It worked.
Many home insurance companies will not provide coverage for certain breeds or dogs at all. Neighbor got canceled when his little pooch nipped a kid. Company "shared" the cancellation putting him in high risk category.

Many home insurance companies will not provide coverage for certain breeds or dogs at all. Neighbor got canceled when his little pooch nipped a kid. Company "shared" the cancellation putting him in high risk category.
In 40 years with Labs never had one bite anyone. Least of all a kid. Our Labs had kids and grandkids all over them, literally. When it got to be too much for them they would go off and hide.

In 40 years with Labs never had one bite anyone. Least of all a kid. Our Labs had kids and grandkids all over them, literally. When it got to be too much for them they would go off and hide.
Sadly insurance rules todays world. Even if a kid provokes dog to bite guess who is held responsible. FWIW Just called for a quotes last week on a new property. First 3 (of many pre quote questions) were "distance to hydrants, do you have a dog and do you have a trampoline"!!!!! If your more than 1000' feet to hydrant or answer "yes" to last two they would end the conversation.

Speaking of insurance, I would love another dog but this time with a doggie health insurance policy. Last one about broke the bank.

Sadly insurance rules todays world. Even if a kid provokes dog to bite guess who is held responsible. FWIW Just called for a quotes last week on a new property. First 3 (of many pre quote questions) were "distance to hydrants, do you have a dog and do you have a trampoline"!!!!! If your more than 1000' feet to hydrant or answer "yes" to last two they would end the conversation.

Speaking of insurance, I would love another dog but this time with a doggie health insurance policy. Last one about broke the bank.
Rural here and NO hydrants. Instead they asked us distance from fire company. Do not recall any insurer asking about dogs. They did ask about wood or coal fired heaters. One did ask if we had horses.

Rural here and NO hydrants. Instead they asked us distance from fire company. Do not recall any insurer asking about dogs. They did ask about wood or coal fired heaters. One did ask if we had horses.
The questions are the first step. They send out inspectors now before policy is fully issued. Any dog or other issues would end it on spot. When we lived in a high fire zone no one would insure us at all. When we sold it only Lloyds of London provided new buyer with limited coverage then canceled after a year. Remember the Titanic?

I see even Costco has doggie insurance ads up now. Am becoming leery of vets.

Played with the color option on my phone. Now the photo of Samson looks a lot older.
5DDBE029-99CF-4C3F-BE8D-A3BCA051529D.jpeg

We enjoyed 20 years of dogs.
Duke was the older brother, and Maggie learned from him.
After Duke trained Maggie to go bark at folks on the bike path behind our house, he would stay on the porch, and let her bark at people. Duke only left the porch when there was something important to bark at, like another dog.
We have their ashes, but I can't come up with a time to spread them in their yard.

Attachments

• 2022-06-15 Maggie.jpg
    2022-06-15 Maggie.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
The Smithsonian has a number of photographs taken by David Collins, who worked with his brother as photographers in the 1840’s and early 1850’s.

The International Center of Photography credits him with the earliest known photograph of a dog taken in 1842. If this is indeed his photo, as indicated, that would put it in the 1840’s-1850’s and would likely be the first photo of a dog.

https://www.icp.org/browse/archive/constituents/david-c-collins?all/all/all/all/0
not with that window molding

If I saw someone hurting a dog there likely would be teeth, hair and eyes everywhere.

The most physically damaging brawl I ever got into years ago was with a guy starting a Dog fight, we smashed each other up over it but it was worth the trouble.
BTW I dont usually brawl over anything.

I wont tolerate cruelty in any form, its despicable and cowardly.

Back