• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

old muzzleloader!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjackson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Link old muzzleloader was on location and the tool hand told me, he had an old muzzleloader in his pick-up, asked me if I was interested. I go look at it, and it was OLD!! I asked him how much, he says, 100.00 bucks and it's yours! needless to say, I'm the proud owner of a very old muzzleloader!! I hope with all of ya'lls smarts and wisdom I can get some info on it. here is what I do know about it, barrel is 36 inches long, overall, 52 and a quarter, id at muzzle is 0.555 and od of muzzle is 0.898 it's full stock, has two wedge pins, very ornate even on the top of screws no numbers that I could find, just the word on top of barrel L Westphal. in Peine, so I'm thinking Germany? but about what year? and caliber, 58 mini is too big, and 54 round ball is too small would like to get it cleaned up, maybe new stock? WHAT SAY YE?? :)

That rifle looks incredibly cool from what the pictures show. Regardless, you stole it for a hundred bucks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The engraved letters on the barrel read:

L. Westphal in Peine

This is not the makers name but rather the area of Saxony Germany where the rifle was made at a gunworks.

You may see different first initials but the "Westphal in Peine" is typical for pistols, rifles and shotguns built by these gunmakers.

It is probably easily worth 10 to 20 times what you paid for it if it's in shootable condition.

If it were mine I would not consider replacing the stock, unless it's in such poor shape that some TLC would not fix. In the condition shown in the photo's I think it could be kept original and possibly make a great shooter. Like glamb said probably worth 10-20 times what it cost you.

looks like it could be shootable, when I use a thick patch on a 54 ball, it seems about right. and the barrel cleaned up nice, the lock and trigger seem fine, nipple threads are good, stock is in terrible condition, but for sure should be able to shoot. I'm taking it tomorrow to shoot with a 30 or 40 grain charge and work my way up.

Mate, the thieving b........d stole that 100 bucks often you, I will pm my postal address and give you 150 for that piece of junk as I would hate to see someone taken for a ride on this forum. :rotf:
That rifle is a steal !! and as someone else said likely a good shooter. Patched round ball would be the go. A lovely european hunting rifle of considerable quality. Do post again if you shoot her.

cheers

Heelerau

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Jen...adertarget002_zps3a5cec17.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

went to the range this morning , I shot out to 50 yards 5 times, first missed target, second shot on paper, third shot low and to the left, 4th shot was closer,and 5th shot was on the money! 70 grains pirodex rs, cci caps, gun shot flawlessly , very nice trigger, not going to do anything but clean it up and put it in my gun closet! only take it out on special occasions! :) thanks for all your info!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That would have been a steal even if it was only a fireplace wall hanger. I hope you bought a lottery ticket 'cause your rabbit's foot is definitely working. I'm green with envy. :bow:

Fantastic find!! Deals like that don't come along more than about once in a lifetime.....if you are lucky. I'm green with envy. I'm still waiting for my "once in a lifetime" deal to come along. :hatsoff:

Mix up some wood finish to make it look better. 3 parts linseed oil, one part turpentine and one part vinegar. Shake it up and apply, rub it in until the wood gets warm. You will be surprised at how good that stock will look.

Burn the rags after use so they don't spontaneously combust or keep them in a tightly sealed mason jar.

Don't shoot it. It has to be CAREFULLY inspected and proof tested before this.
I would not modify it till I found out what it was and what it was worth. When its worked on it needs someone who actually knows what they are doing. And these are hard to find. DO NOT oil the stock or anything else. Just leave it for now. I will send you a PM.
Dan

Dan is spot on with his post.When I get an old gun in rough condition the ONLY treatment I do and this is not the case in all guns like this is to LIGHTLY wipe it with a DAMP cloth.I have seen too many gun values drop by well meaning treatment.I once got a Springfield model 1861 with a frozen rear sight.It took two weeks with a soft rag,400 steel wool, and lemon juice but I got a good functional sight without harming the wood patina.I can't tell what type gun is here but my thinking is to DO NOTHING until a pro looks it over.It's awfully easy to turn a fine old gun into a wall hanger by well meaning treatment.
NUFF SAID.

shortstarter, PLEASE listen to Dan and Okwaho. Even a little well intentioned "cleaning", and especially the addition of a finish will destroy the value of an antique gun. You may have gotten it cheap - you did - but treat it carefully, you might be surprised at it's actual value.

Be patient and, for heaven's sake, don't shoot it. You will likely find someone who wants it as a collectable that will buy it at enough profit for you to buy a shooter or trade a proper shooter at no cost to you.

:bull: Yea, just go ahead and "proof test it" :youcrazy: you just might destroy a nice rifle, "making it a wall hanger" that's in pieces. IMHO he has already proof tested it by taking it out to the range and shooting it a few times. Read the Topic on proof testing in the Gun Building forum. Now taking it to a good (blackpowder type) gun smith or 2 and having him, them? look it over I agree with. I would also take it out and shoot every now an then, that's what these guns were made for.

"[i]maybe new stock? WHAT SAY YE?? [/i]"

What say I? I say only a fool would restock that classic gun. What, with some piece of curly American maple?

Sorry to be so harsh but leave it alone. If you don't like it for what it is then sell to someone who will appreciate it.

You can never restock it and capture what that gun has/had in its day. If you ant a shooter then sell it and use the money to buy one.

mho and I don't appologise for my position.

:hmm: I have a WWII rife that the stock has some issues, so I got a shooting stock, the old girl can go to the range without cracks widening or bits coming lose. Yet stands in the safe all original. :idunno:

Much more costly when the stock would need to be custom, but a way to shoot a rifle with a delicate stock.

Latest posts

Back