• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old hooks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petlis

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok,thank you Claude.What I'm in need of knowing is some information on some old hooks.I posted this on another site dealing with fly fishing and only received 2 reply's,then I thought of this bunch and how interested in history,object,tools and ways of the past that most seem to be,I thought this might be a better place to ask.As BrownBear said,I too own more rods and reels and fly tying stuff then I do guns!If I sold the reels and rods collecting dust in my shop I would be able to buy several custom made flinters :hmm:.Any way on to the question.
I came into possessiion of a cigar box full of old hooks.There are 18 boxes of one hundred hooks each box.If anybody can shed some light on these hooks I would greatly appreciate it.I would hate to just leave them sit in the basement and rust or take them to a reenactment and sell them off for a few bucks per. dozen only then to find out that they were highly sought after or worth a small fortune.I will try to provide as acurate a discription as I can.
First lot of hooks consist of 10 boxes 100 hooks each box.Boxes are constructed of light cardboard wrapped in white paper.Box measurements are 52mm.long[url] x45mm.wide[/url] x19mm.thick.The hooks are blind eye,tapered shank,black in color or a dark blueing.Hook measurements 38mm.long x 20mm. wide,with a barb.The following is printed on the paper label as best as i can duplicate it on this comp.

No. 663

FIRST QUALITY
Spring Steel
KENSEY HOOKS,
Samuel Allcock & Co.,
Redditch
No. 9 100

This paper label is a light blue in color with all print in black,the border is not x's but a series of little lines like flowers.Their is also a picture of a stag on the upper right with the words TRADE MARK under it the No. 9 is hand written.Lable measurements are 44mm.long x[url] 30mm.wide[/url]

The second lot of hooks consist of 8 boxes each containing 100 hooks.The box is constructed of light cardboard and wrapped in white paper.Box measurments are 60mm. long x 51mm. wide x 24mm. thick.Hooks again appear black or a dark blueing,Blind eye ,straight shank with indentations on first 18mm of shank.Hook length is 41mm long x22mm wide.the label is Black with all printing in gold.Label measurements are 38mm.long x 21 mm. wide

H. MILWARD & SONS'
Superfine Cast Steel
HOLLOW POINTED
KINSEY TROUT HOOKS
No. 9 marked, 100

In the center of this label is a picture of what appears to be an armored arm holding a sword.
I hope this isn't too long winded but I thought that the more detail I could give the better.I would like to take the time now to thank everyone and anyone who might be able to help me. Thanks ...Pete
If you would like you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I googled several of the names you listed, and it was feast or famine. Nothing on Kensey or Kinsey, but bingo on Allcock hooks. They were very highly regarded by Carey Stevens, and based upon growing interest in that era of fly fishing, there may be significant collector interest if you're lucky. I'd do some browsing, but I bet you can zero in on some helpful info and contacts. You might even consider putting one box of each on eBay to test the water. Considering the contemporary price of premium hooks, I wouldn't have any qualms about putting a fairly high reserve on them just to cover yourself. In the boxes you describe you might be delighted with the results.

This is part of what I like about this list ~ diversity of knowledge. I'm guessing your hooks are from around 1900.

According to McClane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia, Reddich is a small Worchestershire town that became a center of hook manufacture around 1730. The machinery used to make needles was adapted to hooks by 1730.

Samuel Allcock was born in 1829, and purchased the assets of the George Andrews Co. & renamed it to his own. In 1893 he entered the U.S. market
In 1893 the Model Perfect hooks were introduced into the US market with great success. Samuel Allcock commented that the American angler

Thanks for the info. You know I thought that with the internet it would be easy to find the info I'm looking for NOT!!Any way keep it coming it's a big help and I'll keep searching myself.Thanks...Pete

Anyone can plainly see that Stumpy's kinfolk simply took their hat off as camouflage and started the big dollar hook making business.

I bet he still has stock!
:sorry:
Terry

Close. There's a 200+ year old English company that makes silk thread and floss as is distantly related.

duck.gif

Pearsall's Silk

Some of the very oldest fly patterns call specifically for Pearsall's silk. And, of course, those fine split bamboo rods had to have Pearsall's Silk for wraps and ferrule whippings.

Partridge & Orange (aka "Soft-Hackle")
Brians%20P&O.jpg

You might also try contacting the Orvis people. They have numerous fly shops around my state, and probably have franchises all over the country.

IM jaybe :thumbsup:

Back