• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Caps-Are these corrosive?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Dixie Gun Works caps, maybe from the 80’s/90’s. Are they corrosive, ok to use?
View attachment 304516
Back in the late 70s Dixie had Italian made number 11 caps in their catalog at a very low price (this was before HAZMAT fees). I remember the catalog saying they were corrosive but so was black powder. I bought quite a few and still have a couple of tins, although the tins are plastic. They worked just as well as the Remington, CCI or RWS caps that I used over the years and wished I had bought more.

I still occasionally shoot some old CVA caps in the plastic container from the late 70s and they work okay. I’m sure they are corrosive but like Mike said I don’t worry about it because I have to clean the gun anyway. I normally pull the nipple and drop it in a small container of water with a drop of dish soap while I flush the barrel. Same thing for a revolver. Then clean and dry everything, lube and reassemble. The black powder or substitute is corrosive anyway so corrosive caps make little difference.

Anything related to bp is corrosive AFTER ignition. That is why we must be dedicated to cleaning our guns well after use. I have some really old caps and would not hesitate to use them.
Exactly.

It's amazing how many used percussion guns have very visible corrosion around the drum or snail, often hammer and lock areas as well. When I see corrosion in any of these areas, especially around the drum of snail, I figure the bore is likely to be toast. There's just no room for sloppy cleaning practices with muzzleloaders.

Oh yeah, I'd use old corrosive percussion caps and then clean my gun the way I always do.

Back