• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Old" Canteen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 922

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a relatively simple canteen I turned from pine. It's made from two turned shells, identical except for a lap joint detail. The interiors were sanded and coated with beeswax, then glued together. The sheet metal bands were pressed into place.

The exterior was painted, sanded back to simulate wear, then roughed up a bit. The metal bands and staples were "enhanced" by Mr. Dangler's browning solution. The stopper was turned from maple.

The markings are for the 4th Regiment of the Connecticut Line in 1777.

OldCanteen34x5_zps0b5a9e6f.jpg
OldCanteen24x5_zpsd4d2a903.jpg
OldCanteen14x5_zps3374c8f3.jpg

Rifleman1776 said:
Well done canteen.
But a really super job of antiquing.
Actually, a lesson to the gullible when buying "genuine 200 year old.....".
Ye dun gud. :hatsoff:

"Ye dun gud" and a half! Great job!! :hatsoff:

Thanks, all. Bill, I used "Old Village" paint that I've had for 20 years or so. I think it's oil base - it takes forever to dry. The color is Bayberry and, after sanding it back and applying a mahogany color stain, it turns a nice warm green color. I don't remember where I got that paint but I also have a can of dark red that I'll use for the next one.

Bill. I'm thinking about doing that with the next one. Anyone with a Jet mini lathe, or any lathe for that matter, can do it. Stay tuned.

Back