• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chestnut Canteen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 922

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a segmented canteen that I made from Chestnut that was recovered from a 150 year old barn in Berks County, PA. The shell is formed from 23 pieces and turned round on the outside.

NewCanteen1_zps4cbf2e8c.jpg

I cut a groove in the center and inlaid a band of Walnut and a section of brass. The brass is formed at each end and slips under the Walnut band. The nails go through the band and the brass, and are anchored in the shell. The spout is turned from Chestnut and the stopper from Walnut.

Canteen2_zpsc28e4a21.jpg

Canteen1_zps4000fbd0.jpg

Canteen3a_zps3f54762f.jpg

Always impressed by the attention to detail, creativity and finish of your work. Top notch.

Very nice, man you got to dread those first dings and scrapes!

I had to go back and look at the pics again. I think I just realized what I was looking at!

The ring for the body,is the chestnut that has been rabbited to accept the sides. The difference in color of the inner and outer part of the ring is because the inside has not been stained!

Is that correct?

So do you coat the inside with beeswax for use as a water canteen?

How in the world did you figure the amount of angle to cut the pieces for the ring to get them to fit correctly? That is like barrel slats!

The more I look at this the more I realize how much work went into it! :bow: :shocked2:

50: After gluing the 23 segments (more later) together I put the ring on my lathe and turned the outside surface round. I then cut the reveal on both sides that allows the side panels to fit flush. I applied shellac sanding sealer to the outside, which is why you see a color difference. There was no stain used.

The inside of the ring and both surfaces of the sides were also sealed with shellac. The ring, sides and spout were glued with Titebond (waterproof) but hide glue would probably work as well.

I calculated 18 pieces with a 9 degree angle on each side. However, my angle was a little off (1/2 degree is hard to see but it makes a big difference) and, fortunately, I made extra parts. 23 pieces completed the circle nicely. I glued the parts and held the ring together with band clamps.

The final finish was friction polish (shellac and wax) and paste wax. The wood color is natural and will, probably, darken with age.

Yeah, there was a lot of work on this one and a lot of figuring out how to do things - which is fun. The next one should be easier as I learn.

As a turner, albiet not with your level of talent, I am absolutely awed. That is masterful. :bow: :bow:
You gave the angle for the cuts. But, I'm wondering :hmm: how you chucked the ring to turn the outside. :confused:
Beautiful item.

I have, what's called 8" Flat Jaws that attach to a scroll chuck. Penn State Industries (www.pennstateind.com) sells them. They grip large circles on the outside or inside. I held the shell on the outside, turned half the surface and, then reversed the shell and turned the other half. I did the same thing when I cut the 1/16" groove for the band.

I do all my work on a Jet mini lathe, by the way.

Beautiful work. I have tried coopering on the tops of two small trunks that I built and I can tell you from personal experience that getting the angles exactly right is not easy. It is easy to figure what angle you want but getting that exact angle is where the difficulty comes in. I envy your masterful work.

BucksCo: What would I give to spend a couple of hours watching you at work in your shop. I have a Jet lathe that I need to learn to use, but even after a thousand hours I doubt I would have anywhere near your abilities. It takes a fine eye and a steady hand -- neither of which I possess.
If you keep this up, you are going to be collectable, amigo!

:hatsoff: :applause:

Back