• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chestnut Canteen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BucksCo said:
I have, what's called 8" Flat Jaws that attach to a scroll chuck. Penn State Industries (www.pennstateind.com) sells them. They grip large circles on the outside or inside. I held the shell on the outside, turned half the surface and, then reversed the shell and turned the other half. I did the same thing when I cut the 1/16" groove for the band.

I do all my work on a Jet mini lathe, by the way.

OK, got the picture. I have one of thos flat chucks with the rubber grippers. Haven't mastered it yet, as soon as I start a cut the piece flys out of the chuck. :cursing:
I have the large Grizzly 43" EVS lathe and mostly make small items, like duck calls. Go figger. :doh:
You did fine, that is a great piece you made. :hatsoff:

gorgeous work! ... they're trying to get a strain of chestnut which is resistant to the blight, but nothing really viable yet - I think the fellow said that you may get some nuts, but the trees die before any useable lumber can be harvested.

your turning skill are way above mine, that's for sure. what speed are you using (we have the same lathe)?

Thanks for the post!

What an honor to see that!!PRICELESS!!!!Hope you got a bunch of that tree!Gosh-o-Mighty!! :bow:

I mounted the shell on 8" flat jaws to round the exterior and cut shoulders for the ends. I used the second slowest speed 'cuz, frankly, all that metal spinning around is a little scary. I went up one speed for the ends. I created a shoulder on the inside and used #3 round jaws to hold the parts. After turning I removed the shoulders with a chisel. Not necessary as they're not seen but it did reduce the weight and add more space for liquid.

Latest posts

Back