• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

old bottle corks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffffg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i ordered a bunch of different size corks from this outfit [url] http://www.widgetco.com/s.nl?sc=7&fromsla=T[/url] i use old bottles from antique stores in my possibles bag for oil, lube, and wipe solution, even a little extra 4f in a glass bottle.. but the corks are impossible to find becouse the local crafts stores only have token sizes of corks.. these will fit most any hole if you get the right ones.. order plenty becouse 1/2 of them are not usable. (i guess a problem with natural cork) . but the real deal.. (ps :watch that there are no thin spots when buying the hand blown bottles, especially in the bottom edge) dave..

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of cork I whittled a stopper out of scrap maple.
Slightly tapered and out or round,it locks into my antique bottle with a twist.
I also have it attached to the bottle with a strip of leather so I don't lose the little bugger.
Hold 4f powder just fine I haven,t tried with liquids though. :hmm:

You can find corks in Lowe's and Home Depot. They're in with the aisle that has all the nuts and bolts. Not sure why they choose that aisle, but they do. I found them by asking at Lowe's and then looked for them when I was in Home Depot. They come in packs of three or more depending upon size.

I got some small clear bottles at Walmart. They were in with the wedding supplies aisle as a pack of six or so. They have cork stoppers, hold only an ounce or two. If you want to you can stick the "love potion" labels on them that come with the package. Good news is the labels aren't already stuck on them so you don't have to scrape them off. Perfect size for shooting bags.

You can find a good supply of cork stopper bottles in lots of sizes (including 16 oz. or more) at AC Moore's if you have one around you. Some are clear, some in brown and some in light green tinted glass. The light green is more of an "old thick glass" green than as opposed to the sunglass tint. Some come with corks and some don't - most do. These are great if you're trying to keep a PC gunning box in with your kit.

Hope this helps,
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

My local ACE hardware has corks in various sizes in the hardware isle.

Thanks,
Mark C. Foster

Whoo! Reading the title to this thread brought visions of shooting corks at dogs that mess in the yard, noisy neighbors, and at ATV riders that disturb a quiet camp. :rotf:

I'm glad that everyone is talking about using those corks to close bottles. Besides, hot dogs fit down the bore of besses better than corks, as do little smokies in a 20 ga. :nono:

Don't ask. :blah:
J.D.

twisted_1in66 said:
I got some small clear bottles at Walmart. They were in with the wedding supplies aisle as a pack of six or so.
LOL I thought I was the only one who knew about those bottles!

They are a bit thin though.

Back