• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Army Modifications (long post)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldNo7

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all:

I previously posted these Ruger Old Army Modifications on another forum where they were well received. Sorry this post is so long (putting all 5 Mod’s on 1 post), but I figured that some members here would like to see them too. Let’s start off with”¦

Mod #1, Target Front Sight
I hand cut and filed one each of these for my Dad's and my Old Army's years ago, as the undercut partridge-style sights are much better (for us) for target shooting. Plus, we don't plan to be doing any "fast draw" with the ROA’s anyhow!

Old_Army_front_sight.jpg

Mod #2, Target Rear Sight
Because every decent front sight deserves a decent rear, my Dad and I added Millet rear sights to our Old Army's. Some might question what this sight offers versus the stock Ruger model, and the basic answer is the WIDE and FLAT rear blade, which is the entire back of the sight. To us, this sight blade is more consistent in all lighting conditions; whereas the stock Ruger blade is inset into the sight body and you can sometimes pick up some glare off the sight itself.

Old_Army_rear_sight.jpg

One note... While we bought Millet sights intended for the Ruger Blackhawk series, if I remember right, we had to do some minor and careful filing* to fit these correctly. (* As my Dad would say, “go slow and check the fit often, as the metal-take-off tool works MUCH better than the put-back-on tool!”)

Mod #3, Smooth Trigger
This modification is entirely personal; some may want it, others may not. My Dad kept his ROA trigger stock, but I didn't like the feel of the grooves on the trigger, especially with heavy loads, so I filed them out. I know I'll never have to shoot my ROA "double action", but I do like the way the smooth trigger face feels.

Old_Army_smooth_trigger.jpg

The next Mod will dig even deeper into trigger work...

Mod #4, Trigger Work
First, a necessary disclaimer: You are on your own and assume any and all liability for messing up your ROA (or anything else!) if you work on your trigger without knowledge and/or guidance. The writer assumes no responsibility for anything you do.

Whew, with that out of the way...

I'll admit I got some expert help on these trigger mod's, but it well worth it and greatly improved the trigger feel and pull on my ROA. The small red rectangle imposed on the pix below represents a "trigger stop", which is a small piece of aluminum inserted in the rear of the trigger pin (forget the exact name of that Ruger part). This piece is fit by trial & error, and was recommended by a friend who shoots ROA's in the NMLRA Territorial Matches. He walked me through the process, and with his help and a good set of gunsmith screwdrivers -- and a whole bunch of disassembly & assembly steps! -- the trigger stops dead just after she releases (used to be another 1/8" of travel or more!).

Old_Army_trigger_work.jpg

The dashed red circle indicates careful polishing work to the trigger's internals... I won't say any more, other than it was “polishing only” (not “metal removal”) and the trigger now releases clean at 2.75#, using the stock springs. These two trigger mod's are the best changes I've made to my ROA and are most responsible for the great shooting she can do -- when I do my part, that is.

Mod #5 will complete the external changes and finish this series. I hope you all have been finding this informative so far.

Mod #5, Custom Grips
After all the prior mod's were done, I finished her off in style with a set of silver & black laminate grips custom made by Lett's. They used to be the custom grip maker for Ruger, but I believe they are out of business now. I really like the way the silver & black contrasts with the stainless finish.

Old_Army_grips.jpg

Not to worry if you want a new set of grips for your ROA, as with the explosion of interest in Cowboy Action Shooting, there are many more makers of custom handgun grips around today. And as I'm sure most know, the ROA takes the same grips as the Blackhawk.

Summary
Well that's it for all my ROA Modifications ”“ until one of you posts your own mod's and gives me some new ideas!!!

Tight groups and white smoke to all!

Old No7

thanks for a fine post #7, sure enuff the ROA is worthy of some personal touches. got any load data you can share? :hatsoff:

Hey OldNo7 - fancy meeting you here! :grin:

Last time I looked, you were over at the Ruger forum.

Your ROA still looks great. :thumbsup:

Bringing this "back to top" for those who have recently acquired ROA's... :thumbsup:

Tight groups! :hatsoff:

Old No7

Back