• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Army Conicals-Ruger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Check out March 24 issue GUNS Magazine; well known gunwriter John Taffin has a short 2 page article, Conical Bullets and the Ruger Old Army. Contains lots of info in a short space about the RO's and conical bullets from Eras Gone, Johnston & Dow, Kerr, and Lee Precision Old Army. His favorite BP substitute is Pyrodex P, and for +P power, the H777. Overall GUNS is one of the most interesting gun monthlies but I get several publications; the guys who write in and say, "Your magazine is the best, and the only one I subscribe to" are missing a lot.

I got molds for both of those bullets so I would be interested in what John Taffin has to say about the ROA and those bullets - thanks for the info.

I got molds for both of those bullets so I would be interested in what John Taffin has to say about the ROA and those bullets - thanks for the info.
I have used my Lee Conical Mold over 40 years and really like those bullets when I carry my Old Army when hunting. I also shoot round balls when I target practice but when I am shooting distances of 75 to 100 yards at steel plates, I use the conicals. When hunting I carry Pyrodex P Pellets and pre-lubed conicals just for ease of loading and less stuff to carry. I tumble lube the bullets with liquid Alox and have never had any leading issues.

A bit baffled as this seems a duplicate.

I did try conical s in the ROA and the accuracy was pretty poor with Pyrdodex Pellets and Pyrdoex Loose with a ball in it.

I did not pursue a lot as it was too cold and fingers going numb.

A bit baffled as this seems a duplicate.

I did try conical s in the ROA and the accuracy was pretty poor with Pyrdodex Pellets and Pyrdoex Loose with a ball in it.

I did not pursue a lot as it was too cold and fingers going numb.
Loading conicals for accuracy has to be done carefully. You have to get them started squarely at the cylinder mouth. If you were fighting the cold it might of just been that simple. Also remember every gun is different. My Old Army likes the Lee conicals lubed and without a felt wad under it. My Colts and Remingtons shoot better with a felt wad under the ball or bullet. I have a Colt Dragoon that shoots black powder with a ball and is more accurate than with Pyrodex. If I shoot it with a conical it is more accurate with Pyrodex P. Go figure.

If you have a Lyman or RCBS bullet sizing press try sizing the hind end of the bullets to 0.001" smaller than the chamber, to slip into the chambers when loading. Leave the front ends big to shear on the chamber mouths same as any other bullets. That way you get a better opportunity for maintaining good alignment.
An easier way to go is a bullet shaped something like the old Ideal/Lyman #45266 (later #452066) with a big bevel on the base. But as always, whatever diameters your chambers are and whether they're round or oval will dictate what works and what won't.

Right now I'm waiting for the machining to be done on an experimental cylinder, to have an internal step of larger diameter added. To let a straight sided bullet slip into the chamber and then meet the tapered step as it is seated on the powder charge. I'm taking advantage of what was originally a Pietta 1858 with their typically undersized chambers, making lemonade so to speak. Looking forwards to trying her out with a variety of bullets from old molds for revolver and pistol designs, round noses, wadcutters and semi-wadcutters.

Check out March 24 issue GUNS Magazine; well known gunwriter John Taffin has a short 2 page article, Conical Bullets and the Ruger Old Army. Contains lots of info in a short space about the RO's and conical bullets from Eras Gone, Johnston & Dow, Kerr, and Lee Precision Old Army. His favorite BP substitute is Pyrodex P, and for +P power, the H777. Overall GUNS is one of the most interesting gun monthlies but I get several publications; the guys who write in and say, "Your magazine is the best, and the only one I subscribe to" are missing a lot.
I’ll be looking for the magazine. John Taffin knows his way around a sixgun…

What did he have to say?

Back