• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Conical Bullet For Ruger Old Army.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Certus

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anybody recommend a commercially available soft lead conical bullet that would be suitable for use in a Ruger Old Army.
Thanks
Brian

I recently purchased two Eras Gone bullet molds for .44 caliber revolvers - Kerrs & the Johnston & Dows bullet molds. I have yet to try them as this COVID-19 issue has kept me from the public range near me.

Some people sell cast bullets from Kaido’s custom Lee molds. I shot the 240 grn version out of mine instead of the 255 grn version, but back then it was too pricey, which is what got me into casting. I could buy a pound of lead for $1. That makes quite a few 195 grn bullets!

I knew a fellow that found an old "collar button" 45-70 mould that he fired in his Ruger. I located an odd English designed wad cutter from Lyman, for the Webley in 456 that weighed 192 grains in soft lead and was basically a cylinder .456 in diameter and .460 inches long. It had a slight cone in the center. It did punch perfect holes in paper at 25 yds. I also tried a 225 grain 45-70 mold, but it took too effort to load it.. Lost the molds and the Ruger in a house fire. Below is a picture, a 22rf for size, the 45-70 bullet and the 456 Webly wad cutter.

Attachments

• 345 bullet.jpg
    345 bullet.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 105
I bought a Lee 456-220 R Mold which worked quite well in both my ROA. I sized tem to .451 in my Lyman Lube sizer and after loading the first cylinder (in both) I came to the conclusion that I need to size to .454 (die on the way) from Tennesee.
My top punch was putting a ring around the bullet, new top puch Fifteen quid!!! 30 minutes on the lathe and I made my own, albeit aluminium but it only has to stand compression.
Top Punch.jpg
Top Punch.jpg

I’ve never sized those bullets. One of my old army’s has been reamed to .456 and the other is .454 according to my pin gauges. The Lyman bullets fit well as cast. Kaido bullets do too and they are very accurate as well.

I sized for three reasons, consistent diameter, to add lube to the rings and, as the bullets are flat based, being much bigger than the cylinder they were awkward to start. I don’t have pictures but the 25m groups were better than with ‘unprocessed’ bullets or with balls. Casting more today for testing next week.

A morning's work, 200 bullets for the Ruger.
Bullets.JPG

Straight from the mould they mike at .455 (.45 Lee Mould) and sized in a .440 lube sizer they mike at .450. Pure lead seems to be more springy than I imagined.
Wads.JPG

And 400 lubed wads for a fiver. Keep me going for a week-end's shooting I hope. :thumb:

For those that wonder the bullets left to right are
Swaged .454 round. 143
Dick Dastardly EPP-UG 145-50 .455. 150 grain.
Hensley and Gibbs Wadcutter .460. 177 grain.
Hensley and Gibbs Conical. .451 187 grain.

Lee used to sell a mould specifically for the ROA. It came in two versions, round nose and hollow point. I had one in hollow point. At one time the ROA was the only handgun I owned so I kept it loaded as my home personal defense firearm. I also did some highly 'scientific' tests with it to compare results against a round ball. The medium I shot into was a rotted stump. The bullets punched holes but did no other noticeable damage. The round balls tore large chunks out of the wood where they hit. I cannot explain why but after that I switched my defense loads back to round balls. Part of the explanation might be in velocity. The round ball allows larger charges to be put in the cylinder. And, of course, the rb is lighter in weight so will go faster. Based on that, IMHO, there is no advantage to be gained by using bullet style projectiles.

Back