• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A morning at the range with my new to me Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A good friend (thank you GaryPL) ran into a deal on a couple of Ruger Old Army handguns. He graciously held one for me at a great price. The gun is a stainless adjustable sighted model made in 1978. After a careful inspection, I can not find any indication it had ever been fired. I remedied that today.

This gun shoots great. I used 30 grains of Goex FFFG, a homemade over powder card, a homemade wonder wad, and a cast .454 diameter ball. I also shot it some without the over powder card. I am not sure the card really helps with accuracy, maybe just longevity when keeping it loaded for long periods.

8 Inch plates at 20 yards were easily hit. I did not try for accuracy, simply plinking away one handed at some steel and an IDPA target. I will put it on the bench rest and maybe chronograph a few loads next time out. I will also try some .457 balls and maybe a different powder charge. You can shoot the 30 grain charge all day long with no fatigue or fouling problems.

I fired 48 rounds today without cleaning anything. This is a fun gun to shoot and I am sure you could hunt with it if you wished. The accuracy is certainly there.

I might add, when I cleaned the gun , there was no buildup of fouling on the base pin or the cylinder face to speak of. Certainly not enough to cause issues in the rounds I fired.

I am very pleased with this gun and look forward to sending a lot of lead downrange with it in the future.

Attachments

• VID_20210827_135424493.mp4
    1.9 MB
  • Ruger Old Army 1st rounds.jpg
    Ruger Old Army 1st rounds.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20210827_131834145.jpg
    IMG_20210827_131834145.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 95
Oh man, are you in for some serious target fun! Definitely try the .457 round ball, they are all I use or see recommended and I've found that 30 grain load to be the most accurate.

Oddly, two of my ROAs appeared to be unfired (that didn't last long) and I've seen remarks from others saying the same thing. I can only assume they were gifts where the recipient didn't want to use black powder with the extra work to maintain. (There are such unfortunate people.)

Jeff

In my Ruger, starting at 25 grns of powder, I found 35 to be the most accurate. However it may well be working below 25 grns you’d find an ever more accurate load if that’s your desire.

I’ve four of the beasts. Two have conversion cylinders 45C and 45ACP. Three stainless and one blued. We’re I limited to one percussion revolver it would be the ROA.
As to no powder fouling on the base pin. If you look at the cylinder there’s a protruding bushing it deflects gases and soot around the pin. The Remington NMA doesn’t have that and fouls more easily. Rogers and Spencer’s use the same method.

Not sure why you are using 'a homemade over powder card,[and] a homemade wonder wad'.

I've never used either, let alone two of 'em.

Also, as noted already, the ROA was made specifically to shoot with the .457" ball, for which Lee actually make a dedicated combination ball and conical mould.

Each to his own - it you like to do it, go for it.

Agree on the “card” over powder unless the revolver is left loaded for long periods and a lubed felt wad is also used. I do that in 45C cartridges loaded with Goex for the conversion cylinders. I prefer a felt wad over the powder as opposed to grease over the ball.

Thanks guys.

I owned a pair of Old Armys some years ago when I participated in the CAS matches. I sold those and bought the pair of Pietta Remington's in the photo. I was trying for less gamer and more of the original look in the matches. I shot that category (Frontiersman) for several years with the pair of Remingtons. The Pietta are slick as goose grease, reliable and very accurate. They have seen a lot of rounds downrange while I played at being a town marshal.😃 I am also happy to find out the loading tool seems like it will work fine with the new Ruger.

As for the over powder card, I was curious as to what, if any, effect it would have on accuracy etc.
IMG_20210829_170600021~2.jpg

A good friend (thank you GaryPL) ran into a deal on a couple of Ruger Old Army handguns. He graciously held one for me at a great price. The gun is a stainless adjustable sighted model made in 1978. After a careful inspection, I can not find any indication it had ever been fired. I remedied that today.

This gun shoots great. I used 30 grains of Goex FFFG, a homemade over powder card, a homemade wonder wad, and a cast .454 diameter ball. I also shot it some without the over powder card. I am not sure the card really helps with accuracy, maybe just longevity when keeping it loaded for long periods.

8 Inch plates at 20 yards were easily hit. I did not try for accuracy, simply plinking away one handed at some steel and an IDPA target. I will put it on the bench rest and maybe chronograph a few loads next time out. I will also try some .457 balls and maybe a different powder charge. You can shoot the 30 grain charge all day long with no fatigue or fouling problems.

I fired 48 rounds today without cleaning anything. This is a fun gun to shoot and I am sure you could hunt with it if you wished. The accuracy is certainly there.

I might add, when I cleaned the gun , there was no buildup of fouling on the base pin or the cylinder face to speak of. Certainly not enough to cause issues in the rounds I fired.

I am very pleased with this gun and look forward to sending a lot of lead downrange with it in the future.
there is no doubt the ROA is the Rolls Royce of percussion hand guns. It also does not take a back seat to the kind we don't mention either. Italian guns are a kind of sort of working kit gun. The ROA is shootable right out of the box no problems. If it were not for the odd caliber ball I would not have passed on a very good one a couple of years ago.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk..

Hey Bunk, the ROA is definitely king of the hill "out of the box" but it can be improved substantially!! That said, the Remingtons can hang right with it with some improvements. I'm sure you know this but the .457 size allows for more bearing surface to take advantage of the Blkhk twist, .454 would be fine ( shoulda got it!!! Lol)
Mine shoot cartridges

Mike

Hey Bunk, the ROA is definitely king of the hill "out of the box" but it can be improved substantially!! That said, the Remingtons can hang right with it with some improvements. I'm sure you know this but the .457 size allows for more bearing surface to take advantage of the Blkhk twist, .454 would be fine ( shoulda got it!!! Lol)
Mine shoot cartridges

Mike
Cartridges? Cartridges? we don' use no stinkin' cartridges!
Bunk

Back