• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OK, now what.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been a muzzleloader for a lot of years but just getting into smoothbores. Haven't even fired one yet !! I bought a T/C hawkin with GREAT wood that had been rebored to 20 gauge smoothbore, but with a full choke. (I know, I know, but I was sucked in by the figure in the wood). I measured it with my choke tool and it is full choke. I bought 20 gauge wads and cards and now have discovered that I can't use the wads because of the full bore diameter, they just won't go in. Now what do I do ? Should I take the barrel to my smith and have the choke opened up to cylinder ??? Or what ??? Hoping for some help for a novice from you great guys. Thanks.

You can "squish" a fiber wad in your fingers a bit, it'll then slide into the muzzle and come back into shape when pushed down with the rod,, at least one that has a proper size jag on the end.
I do it all the time.

send it to Danny Cawood gunmakers. can remove choke n make it a jug choke. much easer to load with wads you now have. can use 20ga. shotcups, cut piston off, 2 over powder cards can lube the #2 shotcup. 1 1/4 #6 shot then wet lube cushioned wad on top. good pattern to 35yd. the jug shoots fine with ball n patch. caywoodguns.com 870 423 4741. good man I have 2 of his smoothys .20 n 28. squirrels dont like the 28.

Thanks to all, don't know what I'd do with out ya. I'm going to call Danny Cawood Monday and see what his schedule is like to do what planefixer suggests. I've read about jug chokes and would like to try it. I'd like to get it back in time so I can try out the load planefixer suggests for turkey for this April. Planefixer what powder load do you recommend ?

You have a choked 20g and want to hunt turkey in April but it needs machining!
I'm confused.....
Yeah, me too.
I guess being able to "drop" a 3 cent wad down the bore is important, :dunno:
I wonder how Turkey's ever got killed before the advent of fiber wads an modified plastic shot cups?

Last edited:
I must admit that I agree with @Britsmoothy and @necchi. Three over powder wads can be moistened to slide in sideways to get past the choke. Then a card over the shot and the deed is done.

How is anybody going to load one of the Colerain Turkey choked barrels? These are 20 gauge bores choked down to 58 caliber.

Do a search here on the forum for Turkey Choked Barrels.

So let's get this straight.
You have a choked 20g and want to hunt turkey in April but it needs machining!
I'm confused.....
Yes and yes. The choke is full and I can't get the 20 gauge wad to enter the bore. Neither the cushion wads or the over powder cards. So it needs the bore opened to cylinder I believe.

Ok guys, I don't need the (to me) sarcastic comments. I've seen it too many times here before, and it's not needed. I qualified mysself as a dumb a** regarding smooth bore shotguns right off the bat. I'm seeking wisdom not smart a** comments. At the risk of being ridiculed even more, I've tried to force the wads/cards down the bore and they all broke from the pressure. Even sideways they won't fit. I'm using CircleFly wads and cards too. I don't know about Colerain turkey choked barrels or anything else, I'm interested in mine only. I'm asking a simple question from (presumably) my more learned peers, I don't need your holyier than thou attitudes. I've been a history re-enactor for over 20 years as a mountain man of the 1830's and I can tell you a thing or two about BP rifles and shooting them, but not BP shotguns. I've killed plenty of turkeys in my life with unmentionables, now I wanted to try BP. And YES, "dropping a 3 cent wad down a barrel is IMPORTANT", don't you think !!! That comment shows idiocy and contempt. Or do you just drop in the powder and shot without wads and pull the trigger !!! Are we a group with common interests here or are you here to show your superiority......... I don't need any of it. Good day.

Last edited:
I believe what they're telling you is to use multiple thin over shot cards which WILL get past the choke if pushed in sideways with a slight curl to them,then they WILL set across the bore properly when seated against the powder if you use the right sized ram. Just use several in place of a nitro card or cushion wad. Or you could even ram wool or such down there. No need to get anything machined if you want the choke AND are not going to shoot ball out of it

I have a question for you, are you 100 percent sure it’s a 20 gauge? All of the full choked 20 gauges I’ve ever handled were able to accept a 20 gauge wad, it needed bent a little, but it fit. Unless I missed this already and I apologize if I did, but I would mic the muzzle and see what it reads. Another option is using different material for wadding, such as hornets nest, tow and other types of material. If I ever got my greasy hands on a full choke Fowler or trade gun I’d for sure use it as such.. especially for turkey. The pattern would be/ should be significantly better than a jug choke or cylinder choke. Just my opinion.. good luck and let us know what you decide and I’d love to see the results.

Gee Bigpete, wouldn't it have been nice for these know-it-alls to just say that !! And wouldn't it have been nice to suggest where to get thin cards !!! But then to do that would have compriomised their super superiority wouldn't it ??? I guess it's just more fun to poke fun at a newbie. Hope I can return the favor someday.

Last edited:
I have a question for you, are you 100 percent sure it’s a 20 gauge? All of the full choked 20 gauges I’ve ever handled were able to accept a 20 gauge wad, it needed bent a little, but it fit. Unless I missed this already and I apologize if I did, but I would mic the muzzle and see what it reads. Another option is using different material for wadding, such as hornets nest, tow and other types of material. If I ever got my greasy hands on a full choke Fowler or trade gun I’d for sure use it as such.. especially for turkey. The pattern would be/ should be significantly better than a jug choke or cylinder choke. Just my opinion.. good luck and let us know what you decide and I’d love to see the results.
Thanks S. Kenton. Maybe I'll try hornets nest or tow. I was trying to follow Superchief's technique. I really appreciate your time and help, much more than you know !!! I haven't mic'd the barrel but my choke gauge reads a full choke. I'll let you know how it turns out. Again, thanks.

Back