• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OIL and FOULING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I sometimes see a person new to muzzleloading asking about using petroleum oil to lubricate their patches or to protect their bores in their muzzleloaders

This invariably gets a big DON'T from us old timers which usually raises the question, "why not?".

It has long been believed that petroleum oils will cause black powder fouling to be much worse than the fouling that is created in a bore which was lubricated with a natural oil. I know, I've said this many times but it was always based on other peoples comments.

Because I had the time, I decided to test this myself but taking a picture down inside the bore of a rifle isn't easy so I chose to use a flat piece of galvanized steel.
As I wasn't looking to see what kind of rust would be created I figured the zinc coating wouldn't be a problem.

This first picture shows the test bed.
TEST-002A.jpg

After marking the type of coating at each location, I used a clean paper towel coated with the material being tested to wipe a light coating on the metal.
The "oil" used was Castrol GTX 10-30. Mobil 1 10-30 synthetic oil was used in the second area, regular vegetable cooking oil was used in that area, pure caster oil, TC 1000 Bore Butter, Stumpys Moose Milk and "nothing" finish out the "coatings".

Each pile of powder is 24 grains of Schuetzen 3F.
These piles were burned by lighting the pile on one end. Its burn ignited all of the other piles in one big "whoosh".
I then poured another 24 grains in each burn location and lit it off from the other end.
This was repeated one more time resulting in 72 grains of powder being burned in each location.

This second picture shows the results from the three burns.
TEST-004A.jpg

At each location outside the wiped area a light gray coating was deposited. A similar coating appeared at the TC 1000, Stumpys MM.

To try to approximate what would result from wiping the areas using just pure water, the right side of each "burn" was wiped with a pad made from a paper towel which was first dunked into the water and then lightly squeezed out to eliminate any of the drips. Each "burn" was wiped with one downstroke. Then the pad was turned over to prevent "recontamination" from the dirty pad surface and wiped with one upstroke.
This was intended to represent the results of "wiping between shots" with one wet patch.
The results are shown in this photo:
TEST-007A.jpg

As you can see, several of the areas cleaned up nicely including the bare "spit patch" area but the ones which used the oils did not.

Finally I decided to "wipe" the area with some water/dish washing soap solution.
Using this solution and the same technique I wiped the left side area of each "burn".
TEST-009A.jpg

From this experiment I think it is safe to say petroleum oil and synthetic oil creates the thick black fouling just like the old words of wisdom says it does. The Caster oil (which is a vegetable oil) area seemed to be about as bad with a plain water wipe but I think this was partly due to the thick nature of the stuff because it seemed to leave a thick gummy layer in the wiped area.

Now, what will I test next?

(EDITED TO REPLACE PHOTOBUCKETS PICTURES WITH ONES THAT WORK.)

Last edited:
Marmot oil!

Interesting test. I've been shooting castor oil thinned with alcohol. Looks like veg oil will clean up just fine and cost less $$.

How about olive oil and peanut oil?

I would not use a petro lube on patches but have for many years used it to lightly lube the cleaned bore and always wipe it out before loading and have never had a problem with fouling or cleaning the gun after shooting, and can shoot quite a few shots before cleaning depending on the gun.

Thanks Zonie that was interesting.
I use spit patch in cold weather and deer tallow in warm weather. Both easy clean up. For extended storage I will use gun oil. Doc

I use Birchwood Casey Sheath or Barricade (which seems to have replaced Sheath) to protect the bores of all my guns and it does a great job of it.
Although it is a petroleum product it seems to dry leaving little or no trace of it and I haven't had a problem with hard fouling. I do throughly wipe my guns bores before shooting them.

I want to thank you for the excellent fouling lesson that was presented to our group. I always learn something new here. Keep up the good work.
BPWRL

Nice, informative post. Thanks for the results of it. Your findings speak volumes.

Nice job and thanks a lot. :hatsoff:

snagg

Thanks for your hard work and sharing with us....cant wait to see your next BP test :hatsoff:

Not PC but how about 777, since BP is only available by mail order in most area's. I see 777 stocked in places that carry regular smokeless. know several that use it and don't seem to have any problems. PeashooterJoe...

I'll see what I can do to test Pyrodex because I have a few pounds of it. I would like to say I'll test 777 but don't hold your breath. I don't own any of it and I can't see me buying any because the idiots at the local gun stores think the stuff is worth over $25/pound. Also,I would probably never shoot it because black powder is so superior to any of the synthetics.
The only reason I have the Pyrodex is because I was running low on black powder and went to the local gun store to buy some powder for my percussion guns. Pyrodex is all they had at the time.

Zonie and others,
I don't understand why you all keep doing these experiments? :confused:

Before shooting you should clean all oils from the bore, nipple (pan) and breech areas.

I store my firearms with CRC power lube or Sheath and clean before shooting.
I "do not" shoot with a fouled bore, neither my ML’ers nor my cartridge firearms.
These natural lubes just what are they made of, vegetable, animal fats or rendered fish oils?

I see regular old crude oil as being about as natural as it gets. Crude is plant and animals cooked down at Xstream temperatures and pressures.

Petrol based oils are designed to stop friction at designed temperatures by using a mix of ingredients. Therefore, motor oil will leave a residue after burning powder on top of it. It was designed to work in high temperature areas. I.E. piston rings and cylinder walls.

Dish soap is designed to remove baked on & burned products, which after all are natural be they plant or animal byproducts.

I'm not going to rely on some home-made goop or a Natural lube to protect my barrels.

Besides, that yellow stuff was designed by a machine shop as a cutting lubricant. Really try some next time you have to drill steel!

For as far a "seasoning a bore" WHY would anyone in their right mind want to fill in the metal pores & rifling with goop and burned powder residue.

Regards, BPB

Latest posts

Back