• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Odd spots on curly maple stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mweaver41

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m building a percussion rifle from a curly maple stock and there are a few spots of soft wood right around the lock that looks like it’s gauged. We last worked on it 3 days ago and it didn’t look great in that one spot, but it definitely didn’t look this bad and the gauges weren’t defined like this. My dad has built several rifles and never seen anything like this. Has anyone encountered this before and if so, how did you fix it?

Our default reaction is to mix wood shavings with stain and epoxy, fill it in, and work it down.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpeg
    IMG_0316.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0315.jpeg
    IMG_0315.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
+1 for bugs.

I've seen an army of ants do that in some Black Locust I was trying to save for projects.

If it were me, I'd reduce the thickness of the bolster/fence, inlet the lock a tad deeper and sand those marks out of the lock panel.

You may need to eliminate the carving.

Good luck with her.

Last edited:
Hey Yvonnne, the is Bruce. Those look like worm/beetle holes (tracks), usually they show up in some of the softer maple(s). You can fill them with your mixture, but they will probably still show. I am assuming that the lock plate is inletted to it's full depth and going deeper is out of the question. Based on the pictures it looks like you have quite a bit completed on this stock and I would go ahead and fill them and proceed on. Instead of epoxy, I recommend you should try Titebond wood glue, shavings/dust and your stain. Another option is to use a rounded chisel, dish out the affected area and glue a replacement piece of wood in it. A third option is to overlay it with a thin brass plate, but you would need to consider the aesthetics and design to make it look intentional and not an afterthought.

Hey Yvonnne, the is Bruce. Those look like worm/beetle holes (tracks), usually they show up in some of the softer maple(s). You can fill them with your mixture, but they will probably still show. I am assuming that the lock plate is inletted to it's full depth and going deeper is out of the question. Based on the pictures it looks like you have quite a bit completed on this stock and I would go ahead and fill them and proceed on. Instead of epoxy, I recommend you should try Titebond wood glue, shavings/dust and your stain. Another option is to use a rounded chisel, dish out the affected area and glue a replacement piece of wood in it. A third option is to overlay it with a thin brass plate, but you would need to consider the aesthetics and design to make it look intentional and not an afterthought.
Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful!

You probably need to verify that there are no active bugs (powderpost beetles) in the wood. Finishing over active beetles will not kill them. There are specific chemicals for these insects ( Tim-bor comes to mind). All I know of are borates. Heat in the 169*F range is also very effective. To determine if there is activity, place the stock on a dark surface at room temp., and leave it undisturbed for a few days. If bugs are active you will likely see little piles of dust known as frass under the stock. Good luck.

As the others have pointed out, if it was my project I cut out the entire lock panel then use Tite-Bond to glue in a closely fit piece of matching wood. It’s unfortunate that this showed up but the finished product will be around a long time.

As the others have pointed out, if it was my project I cut out the entire lock panel then use Tite-Bond to glue in a closely fit piece of matching wood. It’s unfortunate that this showed up but the finished product will be around a long time.
Great idea.

I would only add to use Tite-Bond III because it's waterproof.

I’m building a percussion rifle from a curly maple stock and there are a few spots of soft wood right around the lock that looks like it’s gauged. We last worked on it 3 days ago and it didn’t look great in that one spot, but it definitely didn’t look this bad and the gauges weren’t defined like this. My dad has built several rifles and never seen anything like this. Has anyone encountered this before and if so, how did you fix it?

Our default reaction is to mix wood shavings with stain and epoxy, fill it in, and work it down.
I would work the worm ‘carving’ results into the design of the finish carving/finishing. Not the first nor last time this type of opportunity has presented itself. ‘Patch’ with epoxy, wood glue and sawdust or whatever, it will still be a patch that will look like a patch if you look close. Every piece of wood is unique, work with it. Every time I have used ‘patch material’ in a visual area I have later regretted it. The old line ‘nothing to see here’ just doesn’t cut it in my opinion.

Last edited:
That's gonna be about it,,
That's a local source blank isn't it?
Shavings? Maybe if you can get some from the rasp work,, mixed with a little sanding dust.
Look's like a lot of that area is pretty soft, so "when" the fix is added in the process will be the key. I wouldn't use epoxy, I'd stick to a water base wood glue.
No matter what you do it's not going to be an exact match, but easy enough to pass as "character" of the build.
Tough call, your far enough into the build time wise so it's hard. Put a "band-aid" on it, or scrap it and start over.
You do know what a pro would do right? We don't know your budget,,,
Good luck,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back