• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not done yet but pic

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just to show i do have some couth. may be un but then again may be just every day plain couth, i will address the OP.
Brother Crow, the wonderful thing about playing with these is you can work them as little or as much as you care to for your self satisfaction.
way back in the first comments someone stated your panels were fat, or obese, or chunky or some such. being your first endeavor of course it was. fat girls need love too!
even if you have put a finish on the stock you can still go back as you learn more and dress it up to be as it should be.
i have one build i rescued, or am in the process of rescuing that gets worked on monthly, and has for several years.
use your rifle as a yard stick to measure your advancement. the most important thing you have is the will to attempt the job in the first place. nobody is going to steal your birthday if your creations don't match theirs.
we will just bluntly criticize it until you are in tears!
cherish that first one.

Which kind of hospital?

The kind with screen on the windows or the regular kind?
1692122021345.png

If the o.p. isn't whining about Mike's response,,,, then what's the problem?
Some of you will attack anyone over anything, and it would seem deliberately misconstrue,, or pretend to not understand, what certain people say, just to make comments in an attempt to get the person you think you don't like to say something that will get them banned.

Why do you supposed "men" take, or make, everything personal? An honest critique of a gun's flaw, that could be corrected, isn't an attack on the person. The way some of you behave you'd think Mike insulted Crow's mother and questioned his family lineage. Get real.

It's on the ALR under tutorials if this link doesn't work.

If all you Nellies in pink ladies underwear will take note, I have been trying to teach people the craft for many years, with great effort and no financial gain.
That's a great tutorial. Thanks for posting it. It's easy to see you spent a lot of time putting it together. You should be paid better!

...but this place is so predictable it's boring. Obviously, I have nothing to offer here as any advice is cast aside immediately for some odd reason...... You bore me beyond belief. In fact, internet forums suck. 🥱
Obviously your time and efforts aren totally wasted here and your talents, knowledge and expertise might be better appreciated elsewhere.

... a certain amount of sarcasm applied ...

Obviously your time and efforts aren totally wasted here and your talents, knowledge and expertise might be better appreciated elsewhere.

... a certain amount of sarcasm applied ...
Uhmmm.. nope, Mike has helped me more than he will ever know, by reading his freely given comments and watching his tutorials.. his presence here is much appreciated… even his sense of humor. It’s builders like Mike Brooks, Ken Netting and Rob Miller that influence new builders to build “ better”. Mike is fine right where he is..

The artistic are often social outcasts while they are living. ...
You're talking about me, no?
Artistic is inventive, not same-oh, same-oh, don't "overthink", overything known is already known. No need to be inventive and artistic.
No artist was ever appreciated in his day simply because he was doing something completely different.

You're talking about me, no?
Artistic is inventive, not same-oh, same-oh, don't "overthink", overything known is already known. No need to be inventive and artistic.
No artist was ever appreciated in his day simply because he was doing something completely different.
I don’t know, but the infinite monkey theorem does come to mind.

This pic is just to show that the wood does show. I just don't have the finish done yet. The pic also shows the barrel and lock color same as all the metal. It's about medium grey. I've really had a time trying to get this lined out. It's a SMR from pecatonica. 32 cal.
I sure hope the next one does much better.
In spirit of your last sentence about the next one going better.
First thing, you are a " rifle builder".
You build a good rifle. Your rifles are better than most mid-20th Century (1950s-80s) builds.
You can build a very fine rifle instead of a good rifle.

Here's what I see.
You overdo the lock panels and underdo the architecture.

If you get the architecture right everything pretty much falls into place. The best way I can tell you how to form a lock panel is not to form a lock panel.
Lock panels just appear.
If the lower forestock is right, If the wrist is right, If the tang area is right. If the trigger area or belly of the stock is right, the lock panel will appear as the wood is shaped to or away from the drawn line around the lock. It's just a matter of removing wood and it just appears.
Tweak it, shape until it looks right but do not overdo it.
Tools for this....
A pattern makers rasp I like a #50. This type of rasp is flat and round. (This starts the general shape as you transition from the plane of the forestock and the plane of the lock panel.)
A rattail rasp or course rattail file. (The rattail gives the tighter radius and really helps define the panel.)
Scrapers
flat chisels (sparingly)
Maybe a dowel wrapped in sandpaper......
This helps remove any humps in the transition from the panel to the forestock or wrist. It takes a light touch.
Let's start with the forestock and show the transition to the lock panel....
Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr
^^^^^
One of the basic rules of architecture is that the lower forestock is 1/8" wider than the barrel at it's widest point. The upper forestock is 1/16" wider than the barrel at it's widest point. The photo above is the rear sight where the upper forestock transitions into the lower forestock.
My finger is just below the widest portion of the upper forestock. Notice the glare. The forestock is V'ed on this particular rifle. Above the widest point it rounds into the barrel flat with a feather edge. Notice that most of the ramrod is showing and a great deal of the side barrel flat.
Above, my finger is the widest point of the lower forestock. The forestock is rounded and it to rounds from the widest point into the barrel flat with a feather edge. Notice that it's wide point is below the wide point of the upper forestock. This is common longrifle architecture.
Above you can see the transition from forestock into the side/lock panel. You can really see the detail on the side plate side as the frizzen hides a lot on the lock side. Notice the smooth transition. This is seen on the original 1810 Matthew Gillespie.
Think about how you can use your rasp, file and other tools to make this transition. It's not a blob at the lock, it's a smooth transition.

IMG_0443 by Travis Brown, on Flickr
An original Jacob Roosa 1840....
My Gillespie....
Notice how the top of the side panel corresponds or continues the line of the side flat of the barrel. Architechture....
IMG_0446 by Travis Brown, on Flickr
The Gillespie Swoop....
Notice how the barrel channel drops revealing a great deal of the side flat and then swoops up into the breech face of the stock. Architectural feature of some Gillespies and early longrifles. Again, notice how the barrel side flat line continues on into the top side panel line. Notice the transition from forestock into the nose of the side panel. Yep, it's cracked. That's what happens when you clean a delicate longrifle like a musket. Heel of the stock on the ground, at an angle.....it was too much for it. I was a little too hard on it at the Fort. You need to clean these delicately.
Lock side.... It's a little different but they do not have to match perfectly.

Crow, I'm not trying to be critical. I'm trying to help you improve. My rifle has a lot of boo boos, but it does have good architecture.
Study original guns, handle them if you can. Go to shows, get the books.
I priced one of Tracks cheapest kits, It was over 900 bucks for their base kit. That's a lot of dough. That's a lot of money to spend. I hope I have helped some.
I hoped I helped you to start getting the eye for architecture.

Latest posts

Back