• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not done yet but pic

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 245989
I thought I was a hater. :dunno:
Don't think so. But then, I can take constructive criticism and even brutal honesty. Might argue until I fully understand the reasoning though. Won't cry or get my panties in a wad, and will say thanks when enlightened.

I did take the opportunity yesterday to TWIT two relatively short timers at this site. I've read many of their posts. Don't recall a single constructive or instructive comment or post from either in the year or so they have been here. Lots of whining, arguing and complaining posts though ... and I did not have to see a single word of it today! The twit filter (that's a technical :rolleyes: term from the Usenet days before Big Al invented the internet) aka Ignore Button on this PC site, really does work. I should have twitted them long ago. May add a couple more soon.

Life is good!

Wow just read 9 pages of basic manure. Just so you all know. A long time ago I joined the the ALR forum. Pryor to that I had built several kits. T.C. and CVA and others.
Then I got a blank of wood a Getzs barrel and an L-R classic flint lock. Then I posted on the forum if I made a good choice of parts. Mike Brooks in his normal comments. Which are if you pay attention are brutally short and to the point. He said the lock is junk, sell it and get a Chambers late Ketland. At the time I didn't listen and used the L-R.
Absolutely was a stupid thing to do on my part.
But I was like some of you..! Who the hell is this guy?
What does he know...?
That was 12 years ago, and I have met Mike a few times since then and got to know him.
He's blunt and to the point but he KNOWS what he is talking about...! You don't want to listen to his advice. Then don't ask for any...! SIMPLE because he's not going to sugar coat it for you...
But if you DON'T know who he is....you better get your head out of the sand.... Ignorance is not bliss... Oh and please block me too...! Because I'm real tired of the "" I don't know manure about building guns crowd". but I think I'M an expert....!.....In your dreams maybe...😂😂😂

Last edited:
20230819_150456.jpg

We need to invent a time machine and send Mike back to help Mr. Dening with his lock panels, too. This is just ugly.

The more I look at originals the more I'm glad I never committed to copying any one school, but to make my own to suit my fancy just like the original period makers did.

View attachment 245989

Don't think so. But then, I can take constructive criticism and even brutal honesty. Might argue until I fully understand the reasoning though. Won't cry or get my panties in a wad, and will say thanks when enlightened.

I did take the opportunity yesterday to TWIT two relatively short timers at this site. I've read many of their posts. Don't recall a single constructive or instructive comment or post from either in the year or so they have been here. Lots of whining, arguing and complaining posts though ... and I did not have to see a single word of it today! The twit filter (that's a technical :rolleyes: term from the Usenet days before Big Al invented the internet) aka Ignore Button on this PC site, really does work. I should have twitted them long ago. May add a couple more soon.

Life is good!
I blocked a couple too. Much better.

Here's another one, are you kidding me? If I built something like that and posted it here the laughter would be heard around the world.

View attachment 246285
It's not hard to pick ugly guns from both the old days and today. But that's no reason to not make them right today.

If you shop Kibler's website for blemmed kit specials and read the descriptions you'll discover that Jim Kibler fixes the blems with CA.

how's that for going off on an entirely new tangent?
Glue rhymes with you.

Yes your build certainly influenced that line. Everyone uses glue. Unfortunately I could not find anything that rhymed with phallic muzzle treatment. I must apologize for that lack of imagination on my part. I hope you can forgive.

It's not hard to pick ugly guns from both the old days and today. But that's no reason to not make them right today.

Agree 100%. Some of tje original Pennsylvania rifles and others look like the maker was just trying to cobble the lock, barrel, and style of his school into one piece whether the first two fit the third or not.

While we're on the subject of lock panels, I would like to hijack the thread back on topic and ask two things about early English trade guns. First, the lock plates on many were inletted deeper than the face of the stock cheek and the wood around the plate beveled toward the inlet like a funnel. Why was this done instead of filing the cheek down flush with the panel? Also, did I make the border around my lock plate too wide? I started to bring it up tighter but studied a few originals and this seemed about right for some of them, minus the bevel on the mortise side.

20230819_180118.jpg

You could go about 50% thinner although I have a hard time going that skinny myself.
I am unfamiliar with what your describing with the funneling g of the lock panel down towards the lock. I personally haven't seen that on originals
You have to be careful with photos as they can be deceiving. I have never seen origins with the locks inlet deep.

We need to invent a time machine and send Mike back to help Mr. Dening with his lock panels, too. This is just ugly.

1692684645282.png

I have a couple of points for this one.
We do not know what this gun looked like originally. That is a percussion lock plate with typical 50s-70s Dixie Gunworks flint lock junk parts. Look at it. Will it even work?
This is a typical 60-50-year-old restoration. It's also possible that wood was replaced.
Who knows what the original lock looked like?

1692685244216.png

^^^^
A Bedford Rifle. Again, another horrendous percussion conversion using Dixie Gunworks junk. At least the Dening was originally flint before it was converted to percussion.
The Bedford above was built as percussion. You can tell because of the engraving under the frizzen spring.
Bedfords are different with unique architecture. That lock with the unique Bedford style percussion hammer would have a totally different look.
Bedfords were their own thing. If you know Bedfords, it works.
What was done to that one is almost criminal.

Last edited:
Earlier a post was made about a teacher and instructor being different.

How are they different from one another?

Earlier a post was made about a teacher and instructor being different.

How are they different from one another?
According to what we were taught at Navy Instructors school:
* an instructor presents material and it is the student's responsibility to become proficient with the material.
* a teacher assumes a noteworthy part of the responsibility for the student's proficiency.

Most, if not all military training is done by instructors.

Primary K-12 education is normally assumed to be done by teachers, as their students are minors.

Latest posts

Back