• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Northwest Trade Rifle kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a Track of the Wolf and in the end I found the gun didn’t fit me well. However it was an excellent kit, and end result was easy on the eyes and a good shooter. I sold it here on the forum for the cost of the kit.
I delt with Sitting Fox and got a great kit from them. Ray gave excellent customer service. Their NWG is not as accurate copy as Tracks.
Perdisoli trade gun is pattern off a NWG and makes a good looking product but more of a low quality fowler then a NWG.
Track would be my first choice or Pecotonic

I would respectfully suggest that Northwest guns were smooth bores. There were certainly trade rifles, also, but they were configured more like the sporting rifles of the time.

With that said, it is possible, nowadays, to get a Northwest "gun" with a rifled barrel. I would recommend you check with Danny Caywood. He builds as fine and authentic a Northwest gun as you'll find. I'm not certain, but I believe you can order one from him with a rifled barrel, if that's what you want. I'm sorry, but I don't know how to post a link from this borrowed touch-screen device, but if you Google "Danny Caywood flintlock" the link ought to pop right up. I'm pretty sure he offers kits, but I know he sells guns "in the white" (assembled but unfinished) and as completely finished firearms.

The Caywood guns cost a bit more than some of the others, but quality costs, and it is generally worth it.

I know Clay Smith builds and sells Carolina trade guns, but I didn't know he produced Northwest guns. I'll need to check on that!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I'll second the smoothbore or rifle question. I built a Track Northwest gun several years ago, it was relatively easy and made a good gun.

I would respectfully suggest that Northwest guns were smooth bores. There were certainly trade rifles, also, but they were configured more like the sporting rifles of the time.

With that said, it is possible, nowadays, to get a Northwest "gun" with a rifled barrel. I would recommend you check with Danny Caywood. He builds as fine and authentic a Northwest gun as you'll find. I'm not certain, but I believe you can order one from him with a rifled barrel, if that's what you want. I'm sorry, but I don't know how to post a link from this borrowed touch-screen device, but if you Google "Danny Caywood flintlock" the link ought to pop right up. I'm pretty sure he offers kits, but I know he sells guns "in the white" (assembled but unfinished) and as completely finished firearms.

The Caywood guns cost a bit more than some of the others, but quality costs, and it is generally worth it.

I know Clay Smith builds and sells Carolina trade guns, but I didn't know he produced Northwest guns. I'll need to check on that!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Oops, I meant smoothbore but fingers didn’t type that. I’ll check out your suggestions, thank you!

Here is a link to Danny Caywood's Northwest gun page: Northwest gun

It looks like he offers a kit, as "semi-finished kit," the gun in the white, or the completely finished firearm. His website is a little tricky to navigatw, but this will take you to his pricelist: Caywood Pricelist

Also, I think Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading used to offer a Northwest gun. They had it in an old catalog I got from them some years ago. They no longer list a Northwest gun on their website, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Let us know what you decide to get!

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back