• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Northstar West Tradegun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had many long visits with Curly Gostomski and Charles E. Hanson, Jr. at the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron. Curly never stopped dreaming of building just one more tradegun right up to his last days. Between the two I now have several shoe boxes full of pictures of original tradeguns they passed on when visiting them. Hanson had the guns and Curly had the skills, both great guys. If its a Curly gun hang on to it "there ain't no more". :(

scalper said:
Buck, I see you commented on the NorthSTAR West trade gun post,,,,

I have a few pics here....could you take a look at them and tell me if you think my trade gun was made by Curley? It dosent have a band near the muzzle like Northstars guns...and its a .72
northstar dont make em that big.... there is No sitting Fox stamp anywhere,,,,no stampings at all.... just wondering if it is actually made by Curley. please reply

thanks STEVE DANISH aka * SCALPER *

Steve like already mentioned Curly sold guns completely finished, in the white and kits.

He would do what ever the customer asked, do some of the work, tune the lock, what ever was asked he wanted to please his buyer. Boy has that attitude went down the road - customer service. :(

Looking at the pictures its hard to say whether he did or didn't build the gun. As clean as the lock plate is someone really shined it up and removed any stampings if there was any? The placement of the screws seen on the lock they look correct when compared to one of Curly's guns I'm holding. Some of the Italian/Spanish of resent years has the second screw (bottom one) behind hammer located further back than what's shown in your picture. Plus the full cock on those guns sits further back in this position. As for caliber Curly sold .28, .24, .20, .16, .12 gauge guns. I have had a few of the smaller to larger caliber ones in 42", 36", 20" and a ,12 ga blanket gun (that one hurt when it goes off).

Everything looks correct as one of his early guns, theres no way to know if he built it or it was a kit gun put togehter my another. In any case it is a good looking trade gun, be proud of it and use it safetly. Curly made them both ways with or with no barrel band (I know that doesn't help sorry).

Another thought, if it was my gun I would contact North Star West (406) 822-8778 talk to Matt he's a really nice guy. He has offered to stamp a Caywood lock with the "sitting fox" for me, just haven't had the time. I need to call him also as I have a good drawing (taken from a photo of my original pre 1816 Sharpe tradegun) its the earlier sitting fox used on the NW Guns that he would like to have a stamp made for.

I'm in kinda late on this topic. But, I can tell you Curly was making trade guns long before 1980. That date just signifies the company being sold to the west. I started in muzzleloading in 1973, and Curly was well established at that time, and was a regular at many midwest rendezvous. The last I saw him, was when he came to our winter rendezvous here at Kalispell, just before he died. He was certainly one of a kind!
I did have a 12 bore Curly gun years ago, put together by Phil Creech. It killed at both ends.
I have one of his guns I put together about 25 years ago, and it is still one of my favorites to shoot.

Buck, You said, "Curly sold guns completely finished, in the white and kits. He would do what ever the customer asked, do some of the work, tune the lock, what ever was asked he wanted to please his buyer. Boy has that attitude went down the road - customer service." Are you saying that North Star West does not have good customer service? I haven't heard about that before...

North Star west bought the concern that Curley built up over the years. Curley stood behind his stuff far beyond what a normal merchant might have. The practices of the current proprietor are unknown to me. I have no information one way or the other. Never heard anything bad. They have been in business since Curley sold out, and longevity alone says something for them. Don't take long in muzzle loader circles for bad word to get around. (For example, Accusporter. Sold to a new proprietor and closed up within a short period.)

I can tell you that the current North Star West stands behind their product, as much as Curly ever did. I have seen Matt exchange firearms that the owner had basically ruined when building kits. He has more forbearance than I, as I would have told them, you screwed it up, you own it.
I can't think of any other businessman as honest and willing to please as Matt Denison.

I don't own one of NSW's guns but I've seen and shot a few and they are first rate in every sense. Their owners swear by them and are very happy with Matt's customer service.

Le Grand said:
Buck, You said, "Curly sold guns completely finished, in the white and kits. He would do what ever the customer asked, do some of the work, tune the lock, what ever was asked he wanted to please his buyer. Boy has that attitude went down the road - customer service." Are you saying that North Star West does not have good customer service? I haven't heard about that before...

No I didn't say anything referring to NSW. If you read the whole remark I also said; "Another thought, if it was my gun I would contact North Star West (406) 822-8778 talk to Matt he's a really nice guy".

Matt has taken Curly's original business several levels higher with many more options and seen on the Internet really improved their service.

Today we find more and more of the larger business going south because of sales and in some cases poor customer service helped. How often have you had to ask for help and have the clerk know less than you? The list just keeps growing with some of the old standby's we knew as kids. Builders Square, Foleys, Albertsons (now closing stores in several states), old standby brands now gone, its pretty sad to see this happen. I'm sure in days of old business came and went, but there was always customer service.

"No I didn't say anything referring to NSW."

That's good, because is seemed like it. I just wanted to hear the straight scoop from you.

Buck...I just found a youtube post by a gent called Cosmoline who also has a .72 Trade gun
By Curly !!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2sZ0NBA3-g

There is at least one more "other than mine"
out there!!! His sure dosent sound very inpressive in the video....squib load perhaps?
Mine's a real Boomer !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Curly kit gun that a friend put together.

24 ga. with a rear sight. That gun has shot ragged one hole groups at 25 yard offhand.

Back