• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Northstar West Tradegun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have stumbled accross a Northstar West Tradegun.
It is 75 caliber....I was just at thier website and it said the tradegun is only produced in .54 , .58, & .62 caliber, or 28, 24, 0r 20 guage....
so what is the deal? did someone switch out a barrel? or were they made long ago in .75 cal ?
TG.....You should know the answer!!!
I sure dont

Don't forget to glue your hat on before you pull the trigger. They were notorious kickers in their day. I haven't seen one of those since the mid 80's.

I suppose the amount of KICK is due to the light weight? I had one of Curly's early 8 bore Blunderbuss's and I didnt mind the kick it produced with 80 grains 3FFF and a full load of lead...but then again I am purty stout nowadays at 250 pounds of Mountain Muscle...still goin strong at 54 !

hahaha...I think I'll Love it!
I've been kicked my whole adult life..!
Rich....I guess I'LL be buying more flints from ya now on...!!!

Nice find, some have built larger than normal NW guns and I believe there were also originals done the same way, should be a good gun but will push hard as it is likely pretty lightweight. Try to get some pics and keep us posted.

Here are the only photos I have so far:
sd530087_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

sd530086_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

sd530093_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

TRADEGUNBUTTPLATE.jpg

Sellers said it was a .72 caliber and he was shooting a .710 ball in it....
He said the gun has no damage...I did notice that the lock plate does not seem to have a sitting fox and it is not stamped Barnett...
perhaps it is an early Curley gotomoski gun?
The seller call it s NORTHWEST trade gun...he did not specify North Star WEST...does this mean anything???

Might be signed under the barrel... could have been made by anyone. Also possibly from a kit.

Mike....on the NSW website is states:
About North Star West
North Star West, inc. began in 1980 with a tool-and-die maker and second generation Polack named Curly Gostomski who wanted to make a better reproduction of the gun of choice during the North American fur trade era; the flintlock smoothbore Indian Trade Gun. Clever and innovative fellow that he was, Curly used museum pieces and antique guns in his possession to copy exactly all the parts of five types of guns and a pistol.

The molds that he created 27 years ago are still used today in Superior Montana, headquarters of North Star West, Inc. In 1992 Curly ”“ sometimes referred to as the Grandfather of Muzzleloading ”“ sold the British Pattern side of his gun business to Bob Rathbun and Bill Wescombe, who changed the name to “North Star West”. In 2002 Matt Denison purchased the business with the aim of continuing to provide North Star customers with a gun that is historically correct, nice looking, great to handle and is accurate and fun to shoot.

....so I guess in 1980 curly was making guns..but without the NSW logo ?
...I dont know...I am just hoping someone here does know.

On NSW website you can custom order your tradegun with or without stampings on the lockplate or barrel....
you can also order kits with or without stampings....

I had a real light .72 fowler a few years ago and it pushed back a bit, I made up a brass ramrod for it to add some weight and had a rammer that would never break. That looks like a NW gun and should be a good shooter, as long as the lock and barrel are quality, big medicine with ball for Deer, enjoy the journey.The current owner of NSW hangs out here now and then he may have something to add, he is very helpfull if called upon for parts or kit advise.

TG....yes...I was just reading a few of laffindog's posts...I hope he sees this one and does make a comment...
or else I will look him up on the members list and give him a shout!
I just got this pic of the serpentine sideplate
MyTradegunsideplate.jpg

Just like the one that is supposed to be there...Old English style I believe...

I remember NWTG's in kit form back in the 1970's. Long guns and blanket guns in 12 and even 16ga. Were these Curly guns also?

Back