• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Needing some answers to some questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can find one…think about a swamped barrel.

A 46” barrel has heft, the swamped barrel (if you can find one) will be lighter than a comparable strait barrel and the tapered cut and flaring of the barrel moves the firearm’s center of gravity closer to where your forehand supports the rifle, making the gun feel lighter…just food for thought. But seriously, try and physically hold a gun with a 46” barrel, before you plunk down your hard earned money.
Another :thumb: on the swamped barrel. Lighter and handles better.

I have a 44" barrel and it's a pain to carry in the truck. 46" would have been ok for a man on foot or horse back but not in a Ford F150. Looks are cool but remember the old advice that form follows function.
Luckily for me I went retro and drive a 1961 International Scout with two sets of gun racks mounted in rear. The travel top is 6 foot long so the rifle should fit well on that. But I do see how a 5 foot rifle would make things interesting to transport.

I joined this forum yesterday after stumbling upon it during a Google search. I've been floating around reading threads and well I believe it's time that I ask some questions and find some answers, possibly gaining a little knowledge along the way. That being said here are my questions.
1). I want to get a 46" barrel Flintlock rifle in .40, .45 or .50 calibers maybe even .54. I want one of considerable length as even when I was younger watching the old frontier/ Colonial movies the "Smoke Poles" were always cool looking. Would a caliber like .45 be effective enough for ranges of 50 yards to maybe 75 yards maximum. I doubt I will be making shots like these on the normal but I just figured I would ask. Does anyone hunt with a .40 or .45 normally if so what are your results ?

2). For smaller game ( Squirrels, Rabbits, birds) would a Rifle of smaller caliber be a good choice or should I try to find a shotgun ( I know that's not what the shot firing muzzleloaders are called but I can't remember the name for them). Opinions here would be nice as well as I have actually only ever hunted Deer with a Muzzleloader and it was a shot of a mere 14 yards as the deer ran up to me and stopped.

3). What are good powders to use ? I've been seeing a lot of "Out of Stock" on Black Powder and I know you can't use the fake stuff in flintlocks. Should I also buy a horn for powder and a bag for all the stuff like on Black Powder TV ?

I dont want to ask any more questions as I know these questions leave a lot of gaps and I will try to answer as many posts as possible if anyone does reply to this post. I'm sorry I cant really elaborate better but I am kinda just walking in the dark looking for a light switch right now. Thank you to everyone who replies and lends a word or two to this post. If these questions make me sound a bit dull or daft it's probably because I am lol.
The only deer rifle I have is a .62 caliber, rifled barrel. It shoots a 340 gr. lead ball and 80 gr. 3fg or 95 gr. 2fg. I haven't tried it, but I have seen video's of short range shooting #5 shot.

There are forum members that say a .40 caliber is OK for deer. It is legal in Arkansas, but you need to check Maryland's regulations. Mentioning my .62 again, it will put a deer down, every time!

Small game: Again check your local regs. Arkansas says I can't use over .36 caliber for squirrel or rabbits. I actually like the .36. I can use 000, (.350 dia.) buckshot in mine.

Smooth bore, or fowlers: Several of our members use a smooth bore and say they are as accurate out to as much as 75 yards with a lead ball. You can use either balls or shot, which makes them versatile. I don't have one, but sometimes wish I did.

You are definitely going to need a hunting bag to carry all your accouterments. Extra flints, screw driver, vent pick, ect. You also will need a powder horn or a flask and a separate powder measure. I prefer horns myself.

Powder: For now, buy anything you can get your hands on, 2fg or 3fg. Goex will not be back on the market probably until 2023. Graf and Son, Schuetzen, or Swiss. Swiss is more powerful and cleanest burning, but more expensive. I can shoot 2fg or 3fg in my .62 with no problem, but my .36 doesn't like 2fg. You can use the same powder for your main charge and your priming pan. You don't have to use 4fg for priming.
Larger calibers have more oomph, but gobble up a lot of powder and lead. Smaller calibers are more economical and don't have as much recoil.
I get roughly 73 shots from my .62, and 280 shots per pound from my .36.

I may have rambled a bit, but I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

Last edited:
The only deer rifle I have is a .62 caliber, rifled barrel. It shoots a 340 gr. lead ball and 80 gr. 3fg or 95 gr. 2fg. I haven't tried it, but I have seen video's of short range shooting #5 shot.

There are forum members that say a .40 caliber is OK for deer. It is legal in Arkansas, but you need to check Maryland's regulations. Mentioning my .62 again, it will put a deer down, every time!

Small game: Again check your local regs. Arkansas says I can't use over .36 caliber for squirrel or rabbits. I actually like the .36. I can use 000, (.350 dia.) buckshot in mine.

Smooth bore, or fowlers: Several of our members use a smooth bore and say they are as accurate out to as much as 75 yards with a lead ball. You can use either balls or shot, which makes them versatile. I don't have one, but sometimes wish I did.

You are definitely going to need a hunting bag to carry all your accouterments. Extra flints, screw driver, vent pick, ect. You also will need a powder horn or a flask and a separate powder measure. I prefer horns myself.

Powder: For now, buy anything you can get your hands on, 2fg or 3fg. Goex will not be back on the market probably until 2023. Graf and Son, Schuetzen, or Swiss. Swiss is more powerful and cleanest burning, but more expensive. I can shoot 2fg or 3fg in my .62 with no problem, but my .36 doesn't like 2fg. You can use the same powder for your main charge and your priming pan. You don't have to use 4fg for priming.
Larger calibers have more oomph, but gobble up a lot of powder and lead. Smaller calibers are more economical and don't have as much recoil.
I get roughly 73 shots from my .62, and 280 shots per pound from my .36.

I may have rambled a bit, but I'm still on my first cup of coffee.
.40 caliber is the legal minimum caliber for Maryland thanks for the breakdown of what I'll need like the vent pick didn't even know that was and thing. I need to do some brushing up on all the things I'll need to care for the muzzleloader.

.40 caliber is the legal minimum caliber for Maryland thanks for the breakdown of what I'll need like the vent pick didn't even know that was and thing. I need to do some brushing up on all the things I'll need to care for the muzzleloader.
.40 is a good all around caliber. Many competition shooters prefer them. There are many video's on shooting flinters and I suggest watching more than one. Vent picks are a necessary tool because you can get a blockage in the vent hole. I use old T-shirts cut up for rags to wipe the pan and flint between shots. I will only use English flints from Tom Fuller. Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gun Works carries them. Get at least a couple dozen of them. Learn how to knap them as well. The cut agate flints are garbage. There are many items you will wind up carrying in your bag!

.40 is a good all around caliber. Many competition shooters prefer them. There are many video's on shooting flinters and I suggest watching more than one. Vent picks are a necessary tool because you can get a blockage in the vent hole. I use old T-shirts cut up for rags to wipe the pan and flint between shots. I will only use English flints from Tom Fuller. Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gun Works carries them. Get at least a couple dozen of them. Learn how to knap them as well. The cut agate flints are garbage. There are many items you will wind up carrying in your bag!
Thanks for the pointers I will go on track of the wolf and get a list of things I'll need. I was watching blackpowder videos all last night. Sounded like a small skirmish in my house lol.

There’s a good looking .32 cal Pedersoli in the For Sale items on here now!

I’ve never owned a Pedersoli, but lots of people shoot them.👍

Latest posts

Back