• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NorthStar Canoe Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be so much easier to put some sort of importance to people's opinions if I weren't dealing with just a screen name. Real names would go alot further to giving weight to experience. :v

I think that the time period and location are real big factors on this one,many are loking at getting a gun for F&I/AWI and the short gun docums come from much later, just an observation.

I know there are a few written accounts of whites running buffs, but these instances seem to be amusement more than anything else.
With all due respect Mike there are LOTS of written accounts of whites running buffalo, including Bill Cody, who used the running method for his meat hunting - it wasn't until the 1870's that stand hunting for hides became the predominant method.

tg - the 24"-30" barrel lengths first show up in the 1830s, whihc goes hand in hand with the increase in the robe and salted/smoke tongue trade. Trade records show that by the mid-1830s hundreds of thousands of robes and tons of tongues were being shipped east. The great kill of started much earlier than most think, especially considering that most robes were from the cows and calfs.
In 1846 Ruxton noted that there few if any buffalo within 500 miles and they were several days ride in any direction from Bent's Fort, which was one of the major robe/tongue trading posts.

"With all due respect Mike"

Labonte

Generally, people who deserve respect have a reputation for giving it. You waste your effort.

Regards

Dan

With all due respect Mike there are LOTS of written accounts of whites running buffalo, including Bill Cody, who used the running method for his meat hunting - it wasn't until the 1870's that stand hunting for hides became the predominant method.
I wouldn't say "LOTS" of written accounts, but there are some, and Bill Cody was the one that came to mind for me. Seems there are some accounts written by Englishmen also. Also seems they were running them with pistols if I recall.... I'll bet none of them pulled out a hack saw real quick and cut off their Sharps. :haha:
tg - the 24"-30" barrel lengths first show up in the 1830s
Apples and oranges. 1830's is WAY late for the flintlock period and way later than the period of the guns that are being sold as stubby guns by today's dealers, with the exception of NSW.
If you're going to be PC and walk around with a stubby gun you better be doing NDN and doing a western impression, buff running guns weren't a white thing.

DanChamberlain said:
"With all due respect Mike"

Labonte

Generally, people who deserve respect have a reputation for giving it. You waste your effort.

Regards

Dan
I'm confused...am I a jerk or is LaBonte a jerk? :idunno:

Mike Brooks said:
It would be so much easier to put some sort of importance to people's opinions if I weren't dealing with just a screen name. Real names would go alot further to giving weight to experience. :v

Agreed,Mike BUT I suppose some people find security in their anonymity.Now having said that if you in your dotage should start using the user name-"Chicken man" I would recognize you eo instanti and as always give full credence to your opinions and statements.I might disagree but after all does not honest disagreement often lead to shared knowlege? :bow:
Tom Patton aka Okwaho, building up a good supply of pearls :v

Just Curious Sir...
On a forum such as this, What difference does a name make? If folks used names insted of "handles", how whould you know if it was real or not? Why would that make a difference?

My name is Mike, But maybe its Simon Kenton. When posting, what difference would it make in the validity or not of the post.

Please understand, Not a quibble but a serious curiosity of your opinion. :grin:

Because, lets say we were talking about barrels and/or rifleing and somebody like LC Rice posted using his name. I'd tend to pay alot more attention to him than say somebody posting with the handle of "mugwamp dingleberry".

Hello Mike,
Well, That would make sense for the .05 % of folks that fall into that catagory.
Lets take YOU for instance... I accept what you post on the reputation of what you have posted in the past and how relevent and accurate I have found it to be. Your name makes no difference. I dont know you by your name, Just your post reputation.
I do understand your position and can see your point though.
Thanks for talking with me. :grin:

Shawnee Mike said:
Hello Mike,
Well, That would make sense for the .05 % of folks that fall into that catagory.
Lets take YOU for instance... I accept what you post on the reputation of what you have posted in the past and how relevent and accurate I have found it to be. Your name makes no difference. I dont know you by your name, Just your post reputation.
I do understand your position and can see your point though.
Thanks for talking with me. :grin:
Just call me old fashioned, I like knowing who I'm talking to. :v

"Just call me old fashioned, I like knowing who I'm talking to."

Mike, I have no doubt you make fine rifles as others have attested to the fact. I've looked at your tutorial several times and have nothing but respect for a person who can take wood and steel and build a thing of beauty.

But my experience on this forum tends to illustrate that you spend a considerable amount of effort talking "down" to people who don't agree with you.

You call it being "honest." I suppose that's a way to justify boorish behavior. It's just not gentlemanly.

I've used short barreled shotguns for years. Evidently others have as well. It's not your thing. But "your" experience isn't the only experience in the world that counts.

If this gets me banned, then so be it.

Regards

Dan

But my experience on this forum tends to illustrate that you spend a considerable amount of effort talking "down" to people who don't agree with you.

You call it being "honest." I suppose that's a way to justify boorish behavior. It's just not gentlemanly.
Okey dokey! :wink: Boorish, I like that. I don't think I've ever been accused of being boorish before. :haha: Now go back to your lower status and listen to more of my superior lectures. :blah:

Now, back to names. I have a poor memory who's handle is who's.
Okwaho. Tom Patton. I had no clue who Okwaho was and put little stock in his posts for quite some time untill I found out who he is and the fact he's been studying French guns longer than many of the board members have been alive.
Labonte/LeGrand...two different people and I can't keep their handles straight. One of them is from out west and builds really nice holsters and knows his western history, I believe his name is Chuck....but I can't remember his last name because he posts with an alias....very annoying. The other one I don't have a clue about and I suspect might actually be the Pope hiding behind an alias.
Laffindog. That was a mystery for quite some time untill I learned he's the guy that owns NSW and has alot of experience and knowledge about trade guns. Don't know his name because he uses an alias.... :idunno:
Shawnee Mike AKA Simon Kenton is really who? :idunno: Just when I got used to one handle he changes it. Confusing, very confusing. :shake:
Dan Pharris...one of my favorite posters. You know who he is and where he stands.
The "V" man. I rarely agree with the "V" man but he does use his name and is fun to poke with a stick. :haha: But, we all know who he is and what he thinks.
I can't figure out what's really wrong with using your real name, sure makes the score card easier to read. :thumbsup:

Good points Mike, you are absolutely right. I use my name elsewhere but for some reason or other, when I came to this site I chose not to. Don't know why.

Anyway, every time this topic comes up, and it comes up a LOT, there is the same old "discussion" on whether the short barreled guns are acceptable to use in a historical sense. They are not. ( :nono: My opinion and I am allowed that.) But to others, they are acceptable and if people in the past had had them, they would have used them. This can and will go on for ever and ever, neither side will ever convince the other.

My apologies to anyone that I will offend with this but maybe this topic should join the class of discussing inline guns. More heat than light.

I can see your point Mike,I use initials because I am lazy and it is faster just using the initials to the name some folks have called me for 30 years,if anyone wants to know more click on my profile. My name and other info is there where I only had to write it once :thumbsup:

Back