• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NorthStar Canoe Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I am going to stay with my 44" barrels I guess if I get a canoe I will just get a 30' one so as to be to scale with the rest of you.

Scalper

The NSW canoe gun I have ordered is going to have
all brown steel , bright lock, sling swivels front and back, brass NSW front site and early serpant side plate.

After this one, I plan to order a NWTG, from NSW, with 30" barrel in 24ga.

P

Other than the obvious, like the longer barrel, do you expect to ask for anything different on the 24 guage?

I am thinking about the silver NSW front site or even the silver turtle. I belive I will go with sling swivels again. A longer LOP, maybe as long as 14". I do like the looks of an old date on the lock, so if I can get one I will. The Tombstone Fox of HBC looks good to me as well. Also I really like the sharper detail and finer look of the Early Serpant side plate, so I will go with that as well. Lee makes a 2 cavity mold in .564, so with that and some flints I should be good to go!

P

Those lightstick things work great to mark your trail with. use about 40 grns. :rotf: safe way to mark your deer also. put one on top our your load and touch her off. yahoo........ :haha:

thought a need to lighten things a bit...

ironjaw

I may have got ahead of myself when I said I was having a date stamp on my Canoe Gun. What I wanted to say, is I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A DATE stamped on the lock plate. Does anyone know who can do a nice clean stamp or a sorce for a stamp that won't break the bank?? (1812-1830)

Thank you kindly
P

The least expensive way will be to have someone engrave it, a custom made stamp done in the correct font for your period will cost you an arm and a leg. See if the maker will do it, they should be able to do that little bit of work pretty quickly.

Well now.....I just read all 6 pages of this thread. Very entertaining with some thoughts offered to the original poster as well!

I would like to hear from those that shoot prb's out of these "canoe" guns. How tight are your groups at 25 and 50 yards?

Also, I would like to hear from anybody that has taken turkey with these guns. At what range do you no longer have a good, dense turkey killing pattern with the 20 gauge? Maybe Laffindog will comment if few respond to my queries.

As always, Many thanks! :bow:

Skychief

I don't have my 16ga canoe gun yet, but one of the things that I liked was while reading a Muzzlerloader Mag. The fellow had a 24ga(?) and shot a 5 shot raggidy hole at 25yards.

I will use mine for desert crusing here in Yuma (got to keep my eyes pealed for them 'Pache's) and Dove hunting.

P

"I don't give a fig what it's called or how many were made in 1787"

were figs PC/HC for that time period?

:rotf:

I thought this one went to bed a long time ago. Nine months later ( a gestation period?) it pops back up again.

I love this forum, ya' never know what will happen next. Now it's about figs. :idunno:

That frost might just be what it takes to make the nostrils on those old Blacktail Bucks flair up and their attention turn toward the ladies. :grin:

Hello, I shoot a North star Trade gun that was 36
and I cut her down to a 30 and love it!!!
it is more balanced and the swing is more like a
shot gun. you will like the 30 inch Gun!!

ken

Wow, what a ride this thread was! So, just my $.02. I have a NSW 24ga in 30" barrel, and it is as accurate as I can shoot any smoothie, and I have won a few smoothie matches. I also know two people with real important sounding names that carry a lot of respect cause they earned it who shoot short barreled smoothies regularly in matches. One is a 20" and one a 24", and they can win any given day. As far as killing, I would not want to be a deer standing out there about 60yds or so with any of us behind the sight of that NSW, short barreled gun. Get the short barrel, they are really cool, and handle great. You will not give up any appreciable advantage if you practice, practice, practice.

CoyoteJoe said:
Since this has gone to seven pages I may as well ad my own two cents. I'm thinking strictly of performance in the field, I know nothing of historical accuracy.
I think that in terms of roundball performance barrel length means very little beyond the obvious effect of sight radius. With birdshot I think it does make a considerable difference.
I consider anything under 28-30 inches as a short barrel and anything under 24" as very short. I believe the issue is gas pressure at the muzzle, purely my theory of course. For any given load the pressure will be higher if the muzzle is closer to the breech. High gas pressure is still pushing the wad and shot column so when the shot escapes the confines of the bore that high gas pressure will drive the wads into the shot column, thus disrupting it. Any very slight disruption and deviation from a straight line course occurring right at the muzzle will be multiplied many times over as the pellets continue downrange, thus a very wide pattern spread.
Why do people saw off shotgun barrels but to get a wider pattern spread? Why were blunderbusses much shorter than same caliber muskets but to get a wider pattern spread.
I don't give a fig what it's called or how many were made in 1787, if you like short barrels go for it. I don't think you'll lose much in roundball ballistics or accuracy but with shot you'll have to accept some limitations.

Canoe guns can't shoot worth a damn! :haha: :haha:
Not a North star but has a 24 inch barrel.
I perfer a 42 inch smothie but for casual woods trampin or canoeing, nothings wrong with a easy carrying gun you can sling over your back :wink:

DSCF5139.jpg

DSCF5140.jpg

"Why were blunderbusses much shorter than same caliber muskets but to get a wider pattern spread."

I think you will find that most short guns in the past were made that way for the sake of ease of use in limited space and method of use, Coaches, boat decks, and other places a longer gun might not serve as well, with a handfull of buckshot down a .75 or so bore a few inches of barrel length one way or the other is not going to effect the pattern enough to be of concern when the target is a man bent on doing you an injustice but bringing that gun up and on target fast is a very cruicial part of the dance.

Back