• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-traditional powder measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guncobbler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Or maybe they are traditional as we all probably used an empty brass case to measure powder when we were kids. Well anyway today is a cold indoors kind of day and I needed to work up some measures for shooting my 36 CVA Bobcat for the first time. Pulled out 19 empty cases from my collection and the scale and started to weigh how much Goex FFF fit in each one. Dixie probably has this in the back of their catalog but I didn't think of that til I got to the 59 AE. Here is the chart:

25 Auto - 5
32 Auto - 8.5
22 Mag - 9
380 Auto - 11
9MM - 13
30 Luger - 15.5
38 Super - 17
357 Sig - 18.5
40 Auto - 19.5
30 Carbine - 19.5
10 MM - 22
7.62 Nagant - 23
38 Spec - 22
357 Mag - 25
45 Auto - 25
357 S Mag - 31
44 Mag - 36
45 Colt - 40
50 AE - 48

Happy Shooting - GC

Good list. Too cold to go out to garage. Any one know what a 45/70 case holds?

Clutch

The Dixie GW catalog measured old casings. The new casings hold about 62 grains of water. They have much thicker bases, and initial sidewalls, than the old, " Balloon head " casings Dixie measured. Because so many companies offer load in .45-70, there is some variation in the capacity of different brands of casings. You probably had best measure the casing for the Black Powder you are choosing to use.

If you could find a piece of Brown bess barrel you could make a BIG measure!! :rotf: :rotf:

Maybe one'a the bigwigs could put that list in the member's resources forum, so's I kin find it agin. :bow: :bow:

I use .45-70 cases for powder measures in some of my guns and they hold 70 grains of 2F. I weighed five charges from each case to double check.

AB

Wes - I may just have a piece of Bess barrel from somewhere. Was thinking of driving a cork part way down so the measure would be adjustable. Thanks :) GC

Back