• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-tapered Barrel supplier?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farren55

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Starting out with making muskets, and I've been trying to find a supplier (with little success) that carries round smoothbore barrels without a taper.

Can anyone help?

I would be happy to have this posted in members services or wherever appropriate. If this is something Dennis can and is willing to do I would appreciate it. Charles's current price listing.
These prices are current for 2013, you get more information at fcibarrels.com

Flintlock Const. Inc.
Custom Muzzleloading barrels
2011 price list

Straight octagon to 1-1/8” to 48” $165.00- $185.00
Straight tapered octagon to 1-1/4” to 48” $185.00- $235.00
30 & 32 cal straight octagon to 48” $200.00
30 & 32 cal straight tapered $225.00
Swamped B & C weight to 48” $250.00
Swamped A weight to 48” $285.00
Octagon to round smoothbore to 48” $240.00
Octagon to round rifled to 48” $260.00
1-1/8” Light Bench w/ False Muzzle $450.00
PISTOL BARRELS STARTING AT $ 85.00
All barrels come with flared or straight tang breech plug installed
Barrels over 1-1/8” at breech add $35.00 per 1/8”
7 groove square or round bottom rifling
Calibers available: 30,32,36,38,40,44,45,47,48,50,52,54,58,60,62
Delivery 6 months. Prices DO NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING.
50% DUE WHEN PLACING ORDER, REMAINDER DUE WHEN BARREL RECEIVED.
ALL BARRELS ARE BLACK POWDER ONLY!!

CONTACT
Charles Burton
250 s. Liddie Way
Morehead, KY 40351
phone (606)780-7709
e-mail- [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just realize that such a thing would weigh three times or more what it should. :wink:

I don't think.

There is no ITAR restrictions against shipping black powder barrels of any description from the US to Canada.

And on the Canadian side the only thing our customs cares about is who is going to pay the import tax :rotf:

I have had barrels shipped that had "muzzle loader barrel" (Rice) on the customs forms, 12L14 tubes (MBS), rifled barrel (FCI), custom barrel (Oregon) and all of them breezed through customs after they calculated the Canuck Tax and tacked the bill on which had to be paid at time of pick-up at the post office...

Actually I'm getting them because I'm just starting out on making my own muskets and a untapered barrel seems easier to fit than tapered.

Well.....not really, as a straight line cut into wood is still a straight line. Now a swamped one is somwhat more work, but I have done straight and tapered......same amount of inlet work....
The most accurate one I have assembled to date was a Burton 54cal taper octagon outside, 46-1/2"....I think the breach end was 1-1/4" :shocked2:
It was rather heavy, to me anyhow.....but the buyer just loved it......and one raggy hole at 50yds with them big ol balls made it a "keeper" he said!
Marc n tomtom

farren55 said:
Actually I'm getting them because I'm just starting out on making my own muskets and a untapered barrel seems easier to fit than tapered.

It might be marginally easier to inlet, but if you ever want to sell the muskets you make, I can't imagine anyone who would want one with a 12 lb barrel.

Back in the late 60's I made a shotgun barrel out of seamless tubing the we used for aircraft hydraulic cylinders. It was not tapered and shot well but was really hard to ballance. But for my first gun it was a learning experience. :idunno: :idunno:

I to can't imagine many people wanting that heavy a barrel either :idunno: besides, If your going to be a musket builder, do it correct and go with a tapered barrel. Really not that difficult, I did it and I'm not a gun builder!

Rick

Back