• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-horn powder containers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondoro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I see so many powder horns, were other materials ever used? I have a nice piece of leg bone that would hold a good amount of powder. Were they used? What else was used?

Thanks

Have seen leg bone versions as you mention as well as glass bottles, gords, large diameter cane, tin containers and pottery jugs. Don't imagine these were seen in large numbers but anything works in a pinch! :thumbsup:

Bones are porous, where antler, and horn are not. To use a leg bone for a priming horn, for instance, would require much more work, and the need for a sealant to make it watertight. Why would you use such a material to make a powder " horn " when horns were just as available as those bones? The bones were used to make tool and knife handles. NDNs broke the leg bones up to make sewing needles, and awls.

All sorts of things were used for powder horns, whether right or wrong in the eyes of us modernists,I am sure that if it looked like it would work, someone has tried it at least once.I have seen a lot of them made of wood, so a naturally hollow leg bone would be a sure target.

I was curious and it seemed like less work. If they were rare or improbable I have lost interest in using a bone. But every description I have seen of making a powder horn sounds like a hellacious amount of work.

Drilling a hole, and fitting a plug to the end of the horn are rather simple if demanding tasks. It is smoothing the outside of the horn, and then decorating it that takes the hours. Putting some kind of groove in the top end of the horn to hold a leather thong, or string, does involve careful cutting and or filing. Deciding how to mount the other end of the strap on the plug end is next. Further decoration, dying, carving, scrimshawing are all things that many owners do after they get the basic horn done.

If you can find a horn that has been polished or partialy polished most of the work will alreday be done.

I think people used horns for a number of reasons.

1. They are very lightweight, in proportion to the amount of powder they hold.

2. They are virtually unbreakable, compared to wood or some other materials.

3. They have a natural taper that makes them perfect for pouring.

4. If chosen properly, they curve tightly around the body when carried.

IMHO, of course.

They also don't have condensation issues like metal might, I believe.

Powder horns are actually not that much work. Use a rasp and/or drawknife to whittle it down, then scrape. A knife works fine for that, a cabinet scraper even better. Sharp scrapers cut like 60 grit and leave a surface like 220. Once you have tried scraping, you'll never want go back to sandpaper!

Seen a couple leather ones at the flea market, the owner said they were Japanese. They were about five inches in diamiter and looked like canteens. On the one the plug was hallow as if used as a measure and had designs around it.

I got one that is made from a small coconut. Has a cane "handle" or spout. There are instances of their use. Tougher that a gourd.

Ronnie

Back