• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non European Matchlock-Reproductions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farren55

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So does anyone know any good source for non-european, and non-standard muskets Like Ottoman Fitilli Tüfek, indian Bandukh Torador, or Hungarian Szakallas?

Are you planning to lay siege to the West?

My Hussite arquebus is custom made as a copy of an original per a collaboration between the maker and myself (the only Serial #1 he ever sold, wooden cased and all), but he's long since gone off the reservation. However, The Rifle Shoppe has a kit for a hook gun and that's probably the closest you'll find of a regional Szakallas I presume. Consider their serpentine to make it a later-model with that ignition system -- customizing it yourself.

The quality will be above anything from India but the the timing will be hit or miss, I assure you.

Patience is a virtue.

How is it to shoot? I bet the unusual, or at least unwestern stock is a learning curve. Some of the paintings of Japanese matchlocks in use look like positions yhis fat boy could never try.

No siege... yet still have to form the Jannisary corps :grin:

At the point of going to the Rifle shoppe, I might just buy the parts and make a the stock from scratch, the ottoman Fitilli Tüfek doesn't seem too difficult.

Well, my people wouldn't have been too fond of the Jannisary to say the least. However, custom is your only alternative for authenticity as far as I know except...

...there are actually plenty of original such-type arms generally available if you look around and pretty affordably.

I'm going to be sticking with modern repro, that way I can be a little more sure of safty, and feel free to use it/ not be overly worried about damaging it.

Hi Farren. Interesting request. Didn't know there was anyone else interested in "shooting" these guns, other than myself. :haha:
There are probably three ways you can approach this:
1) You can have a custom builder actually copy the gun of your choice using specs and photos (many) of originals. This would be the most time consuming and expensive route.
2) Purchase an original gun you like that is complete, but in poor to fair condition, to keep the price low. The builder now has an exact original in his hands that he can duplicated. THEN, after the new gun is finished, re-sell the original to recapture some of your cost.
3) Another variation of #2 above would be to have a collector LOAN your builder a gun to duplicate. This is not really as hard as it sounds.
4) The way I do it - as Alden mentions above - is to buy an original in decent condition. Better than a wall hanger, but not so good to have a real collector value. Then refurbish it to firing condition. There are talented gunsmiths that can fix just about anything. At least that's been my experience. As well, original iron barrels can bored out and new STEEL liners installed for safe shooting. And, going this route is also the least expensive.
If your interested, I can send you some pics of these Ottoman Empire type guns that I had restored to firing order.
Good luck with the project. Rick.

Hi Chris. LOL!! I have only two matchlocks. One is an original, munitions grade Japanese in firing condition. The other is an Indian Torador - that is my current project - that will be especially interesting. All the others are flintlock and would not be appropriate for this Thread. I'd have to start a new Thread in the Photos section. But thanks for asking. Rick. :hatsoff:

Yes I have fired it. In fact, it has a new steel liner inside the original iron barrel for safe shooting. Liner from Bob Hoyt. The thing you want to be careful about is the lit match, while in firing position, sits VERY close to the pan. So it would be easy for a lit coal to drop in the pan and the gun go off accidentially. Don't ask how I know this. :redface: :shocked2: When firing, you bring the gun up to your cheek pointing down range then open the pan cover. They are much fun to shoot. Rick. :hatsoff:

This is not a source reference where you can buy what you are interested in but maybe you could get pictures to reference a build. The Ross beard collection housed at the Camden Archives, Camden S.C. has a number of these type of guns on display. When I was there I saw a very old Chinese wheel lock along with what looked like Brittish sea service pistols which had been stylized to look ( for lack of better words) Arabic with embellishments added, I assumed they had been captured by Barbary pirates. There were some very impressive Ottoman type miquelet lock guns. There was also an original old carbine which used a roll of paper caps like the kids used to put in the cap pistols instead of percussion caps.

http://www.cityofcamden.org/departments/archives-museum/museum-exhibits/ross-e-beard-collection

Last edited by a moderator:
Back