• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Harpers Ferry Percussion Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I hope you had a good Christmas, and that your New Year will be happy and full of muzzleloading fun! Here is a review of my new Pedersoli made Harper's Ferry .54 caliber smoothbore percussion pistol. Enjoy!

This gun is a new offering from Davide Pedersoli of Italy. It is a rendition of a Harpers Ferry flintlock military "horse pistol" that was converted to a percussion lock system. This conversion was actually done to some of these trusty pistols when that system of ignition came into widespread use during the late 1830s-early 1840s. Original conversion can be seen on various auction and history websites. This style conversion allowed these venerable guns to serve alongside more modern .54 caliber smoothbore military pistols, like the M1842 Aston Johnson guns among others.

Like the later M1842 pistol, these guns were often called "horse pistols" and were used extensively by cavalry, who usually carried two of them that were stored in holsters on either side of the horse's body, offering two quick shots for closer in engagements that were still out of range of a saber.

The Harpers Ferry conversions most likely would have seen use early on during the U.S. Civil War, mainly in the South when more modern arms were difficult to come by. The actual gunsmithing work of replacing the old flintlock mechanisms with percussion locks was carried out by local militia gunsmiths. They were most likely replaced as soon as possible with Colt's or other maker's revolvers for increased firepower as soon as they became available.

This Pedersoli rendition exhibits excellent fit and finish. I should state however, that this is actually the second specimen that I received from Dixie Gun Works. The first pistol I got had some issues with it. Some bubbles in the finish, an off threaded nipple, and off center hammer meant the gun went back to Dixie. They handled the exchange very nicely, and made a point to inspect the second pistol, which had none of these issues. Here it is, with a .530" round ball for scale:

hp1.jpg

hp2.jpg

As you can see, the pistol is finished in high-quality American Walnut wood, with brass fixtures, with a notable brass butt cap that was historically used as a club once the pistol was fired. The tapered barrel is made of stainless steel, at least I believe it is, and has a brass front blade sight with no rear sight. The lock plate shows a well done "U.S." crest with "HARPERS FERRY 1807" also printed on it. The gun comes with a ramrod stowed below the barrel, though I chose to use a sturdier one with built in short starter for the purposes of loading.

Disassembly of the pistol is relatively straightforward, though most screws on the gun are very tight, especially the barrel tang screw. Removing said screw as well as the ramrod frees up the barrel from the wood stock. Removing the nipple and percussion drum screw is largely all that is needed to clean the pistol after shooting. The lock can be removed by unscrewing the two screws on the left side of the gun, and is held on by the brass connecting piece there. This is normally not necessary however. I found my normal cleaning method of using a 4:1 mix of water to Ballistol to work nicely on the gun, using some wire brushes and cleaning jags to scrub the bore and exterior surfaces down.

Now, on to the shooting review!

Today I ran about 20 shots total through the pistol. I will say that I had no failures of any kind. I was using Remington #10 caps, .530" cast lead balls from Track of the Wolf, authentic GOEX brand FFG black powder, and .010" lubricated Ox-Yoke .50-.59 patches. All components worked very nicely, and the patched round ball fit nice and snug down the bore, without being excessively tight.

hp3.jpg

Per Pedersoli's recommendations, I started with 35 grains of powder and held their, bumping up to a 50 grain charge for a "grand finale" shot at the end. :cool:

The gun had a very different recoil to it. It certainly does move in the hand upon firing, but the recoil impulse is more of a "shove" than the sharper feeling of a smokeless gun. I have to say, it's very interesting, and fun! Here is a 1st person video I took of me firing the gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtW_0Is26Mg As you can see, there is some recoil but like I said, it's an enjoyable push. The gun creates a nice cloud of fragrant black powder smoke, as you can imagine. Here is an alternate view of shooting, from the side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol3HDdKuBos

Firing offhand at a paced range of seven yards, the gun was shooting about 5 inches high. Adjusting point of aim to a six o'clock hold dropped the point of impact to the proper level. The gun grouped very acceptably for a smoothbore gun:

hp4.jpg

The first few shots were high and wide, though as you can see by the end of session my groups shrank significantly as I settled down. I am sure this gun can group under 2" at this range, perhaps easily better with a properly tweaked load. I have seen people shoot these smoothbore guns offhand out to 25 yards or so, keeping them within a hand-sized group. Though certainly not as precise as a rifled barrel, a smooth bore isn't much of handicap for this type of pistol. They most likely would have been used when on horseback, fired at relatively close range. For that usage, this accuracy is very acceptable indeed.

I should mention that I was using a wire frame target stand from Wal-Mart, and that it quickly met it's demise against the mighty horse pistol. Said target stands will not survive being shot by a .530" lead ball at speed! A cardboard box was handy and served as a suitable backup target. I will also admit that I was greatly tempted to fire a load while doing a mock "cavalry charge" on my four wheeler, though I decided I better not!

hp5.jpg

In military service, this gun and those like it would have been most often loaded with paper cartridges, like almost all other service arms of the period. I definitely want to try my hand at making such cartridges at some point in the near future. If anyone reading this knows how to make proper ones, any details would be greatly appreciated.

From my research, it appears that Pedersoli developed this model primarily for use in the N-SSA smoothbore pistol event.

All in all, this Pedersoli gun is a fine piece of shooting iron. While not as high firepower as the percussion revolvers that supplanted them in service, these horse pistols served soldiers and explorers alike faithfully during the first half of the 19th century and some years thereafter. If you are in the market for this type of gun, you would do well to get one as I have found mine to be extremely fun and enjoyable to shoot.

Take care all, and have a great New Year!

Earl Burlin

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job on your review of your new pistol. Informative and a very enjoyable read, especially with all the pics. Hope to hear more from you in the future as you acquire new guns. Or write-ups on your old guns as well. And a happy new year to you also!

Thanks! I am working on making authentic paper cartridges for the gun now. Soon I should have some proper ones made, and I plan to make some videos of reloading with them and will be sure to post some links here. :grin:

Very enjoyable post, Earl. :thumbsup:
Any one of those shots would have stopped an adversary, or dissuaded him long enough for you to deliver the coup de grace with the butt. :grin:

Was that the 35 grain charge or the 50 grain in the video? Looked like a lot of fun to shoot. And did the 50 grainer impact the target?

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Grumpa: In both videos I am shooting a 35 grain charge. The 50 grain shot did impact the paper if I recall, but I don't remember where!

I have since practiced much with this gun, and am getting very good groups with it! Here is a group of about a dozen balls put into a 2.5" group at 10 yards, minus a flyer or two. Load was the same used in my review:

uytre.jpg

I just got done making a batch of paper cartridges for this pistol, based off original .54 caliber military cartridges.

pc2.jpg

I am using .520" cast lead balls from Track of the Wolf (Rush Creek Roundball brand), Duck brand packing paper, and linen thread I got from a book binding website. The finished cartridges measure out to almost exactly .540" in diameter at the widest point, and are easy to push down the bore yet I believe will give good accuracy results once the bore becomes a bit fouled. These are charged with 54 grain of GOEX FFG powder. That might seem like a stout charge for a pistol, but is the correct charge given the ordinance manuals of the time called for 130th of 1lb of powder for the handgun. I believe this was to account for the priming powder needed on flintlock horse pistols such as the M1836 et al.

I plan to hit the range this weekend to test them. I also am going to start work on authentic combustible envelope cartridges for my Colt Navy as well, and plan to post about that too! :grin:

Have a happy New Year everyone! I look forward to discussing this fine hobby with you all soon!

That is indeed a fine looking pistol. How long is the barrel? My reason for asking is that a barrel must be .50 caliber, or larger, and at least 12" long to be legal to hunt with in Indiana. Inquiring minds want to know. Keep yer powder dry........robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup:

Those groups would be better with a modestly tight PRB I wager.

Nice pistol. Kind of big and unwieldy. They make decent guns. Sucks that the first one had so many issues. I could have seen past the finish issues, as I would just strip it and fix it myself, but that cross threaded nipple is an almost unforgivable offence from the armory. They make these things for a living....get it right!

I made a few more cartridges today. Here is a close up picture:

grfds.jpg

Hopefully this weekend, I'll be able to shoot some of these off and compare accuracy to my normal PRB load.

Stay tuned, and Happy New Year!! :grin:

Thanks for that review. I'm completely new to flintlocks. I'm really considering my first purchase to be a Pedersoli Queen Anne. Although this is a different model, being from the same manufacturer gives me a idea of what to expect. thanks!

I have a flintlock version of that pistol. I shoot it more than much more expensive guns. It is a hoot to shoot. Lots of noise, smoke and fire. Once you get used to it, it is reasonably accurate for not having a rear sight. Boy, does it make a big hole.

I have a Pedersoli LePage that is a real tack driver. It is the flint version and really throws a good spark.

Earl, outstanding review! And you certainly know how to make a handsome cartridge. One thought: When I made similar cartridges for my old Brown Bess, I dipped the wrapped ball end in melted beeswax and let it dry. Seemed to help with fouling control and accuracy.

Mine takes a 56 cal ball and I use 25 to 30 gr
of 3f with a 15 thousands patch. This I use in
competition shooting and am one of the top scorers.
Why so much powder in such a short barrel ? It's
only paper not a Bear...Make sure you use a two
hand hold,,,,Good luck
Wulf

Back