• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED No more WANTED postings by me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I’ve sold for a friend a couple times. But I have the items in my hands and I’m responsible for the correspondence, sale and shipping. Not all old farts are computer or phone savvy. So I help him out.
And I’m in Texas 😜

Years ago, I had a sports car for sale and had it advertised on Craigslist and some other sites. Well I get an email that this guy wanted to buy and would send me a cashiers check for more than I asked. Now the reason he was sending more was he was going to have someone else pick it up and ship it to him. RED FLAG IMMEDIATELY!! So I played along and kept emailing back and forth. Well, I get a piece of mail from Fedex and inside is a cashiers check. Now this Fedex cost the sender over $50 to send. But apparently he thought he would reap some huge profits...LOL! I looked the check over very well. Along the top where you would normally see serrations, it was clearly just torn, as you would use a straight edge and tear a piece of paper apart. Then I got the number of a local chase bank. I gave them the number of the cashiers check, they came back on the phone and told me it was fake, and turned me over to the fraud division. I ended up faxing all the info and images of the emails and checks to them. They told me to take the info and also give it to the sheriffs office, which was kindof useless, because if any of you know Trinidad, Colorado, that office is a total joke. Hell they couldn't even find my house...LOL! Anyway I did what they said. Now another important RED FLAG was that the FEDEX package had an address from Uganda....LOL!!! So I led the guy along for a while and then I finally told him him and the check were frauds and he wasn't getting anything. He was ******, threatened to sue me and call the sheriff and all kinds of manure....I was lmao! I finally told him that I was at the sheriffs office and would he like to talk to him....never heard from him again and the guy was out $50 bucks!
I've been through similar scenarios like that selling on Craigslist dealing with scammers. It's very easy to detect and screw with them. Now several times I actually had good transactions with selling a vehicle and meeting up with the buyer. However, when I do meet up with a buyer, i have another male person with me, usually one of my sons, and we are always packing.

Years ago, I had a sports car for sale and had it advertised on Craigslist and some other sites. Well I get an email that this guy wanted to buy and would send me a cashiers check for more than I asked. Now the reason he was sending more was he was going to have someone else pick it up and ship it to him. RED FLAG IMMEDIATELY!! So I played along and kept emailing back and forth. Well, I get a piece of mail from Fedex and inside is a cashiers check. Now this Fedex cost the sender over $50 to send. But apparently he thought he would reap some huge profits...LOL! I looked the check over very well. Along the top where you would normally see serrations, it was clearly just torn, as you would use a straight edge and tear a piece of paper apart. Then I got the number of a local chase bank. I gave them the number of the cashiers check, they came back on the phone and told me it was fake, and turned me over to the fraud division. I ended up faxing all the info and images of the emails and checks to them. They told me to take the info and also give it to the sheriffs office, which was kindof useless, because if any of you know Trinidad, Colorado, that office is a total joke. Hell they couldn't even find my house...LOL! Anyway I did what they said. Now another important RED FLAG was that the FEDEX package had an address from Uganda....LOL!!! So I led the guy along for a while and then I finally told him him and the check were frauds and he wasn't getting anything. He was ******, threatened to sue me and call the sheriff and all kinds of manure....I was lmao! I finally told him that I was at the sheriffs office and would he like to talk to him....never heard from him again and the guy was out $50 bucks!
I've been through similar scenarios like that selling on Craigslist dealing with scammers. It's very easy to detect and screw with them. Now several times I actually had good transactions with selling a vehicle and meeting up with the buyer. However, when I do meet up with a buyer, i have another male person with me, usually one of my sons, and we are always packing.
Not to hijack this post but I noticed you stated Trinidad. I just happen to be going there tomorrow. Have a niece I’m going to go visit. Any black powder muzzleloader shops there? Or maybe pawnshops.

The Wanted posting has worked well for me but you do need to be aware of scammers. I tend to ignore replies that are not from posters with an established record on the forum. Also a few back and forth conversations usually establish a genuine offer.

Please don't let them scare you off. Like Dusty_Traveler said, too much goodness here to let the annoying spam drive you away.
Mike
Please don't let them scare you off. Like Dusty_Traveler said, too much goodness here to let the annoying spam drive you away.
Mike
Up here we have a bounty on them; in the metro area, most of them hold public office..

that scam artist is across many forum sites. always, "i have this friend in Texas that has just what you are looking for"
if the "friend" is contacted he try's to get as much financial info as possible, and then says it will be shipped from another person. if pressed for pictures it is always a screen capture of the looked for item, but from a site like gunsamerica 10 years ago. think they must have a whole data base of those pictures.
what could go wrong?!!!
I posted a want ad on here a couple years ago looking for a 410 CVA double. Got the message about a buddy in Texas with one for sale for 400. Smelled fishy so I didn't bite. Doesn't stop me from coming back though.

I've had great success with members here, another forum - well, only once when I posted looking for some obscure parts. Won't do that again. There are good things about a forum with strict guidelines and active members. For one thing, we don't get hit with unrelated garbage and folks actually know what is being offered/wanted. Works for me.

Not to hijack this post but I noticed you stated Trinidad. I just happen to be going there tomorrow. Have a niece I’m going to go visit. Any black powder muzzleloader shops there? Or maybe pawnshops.
No ML shops. 2 pawn shops. Be careful, plenty of thieves, vagrants and potheads.

I’ve been scammed on another site. Luckily got my money back. My rules are.
Can’t be a brand new member
If possible, and I will drive a long way…I prefer FTF
I ask for specific pictures , to make sure they actually own the item. I don’t buy from a friend of a friend. A lot of times I will also speak with them over the phone.

Selling something, they pay then they get the item. That’s just normal.

They also need to be a member who participates in conversations not just on to sell.

There may be exceptions, but that works most of the time.

I forgot to tell you. No ML shops. 2 Pawn shops: One on Main street near the bank. The other one is on Commercial St. near another bank.

I’ve gotten a few, but it’s mostly from new members. I forgot what it states. Something about CAUTION this member is new beware of scam. Something like that. And the thing is, it’s mostly from a Wanted ad. And the new member states they are Supporting Member and Pilgrim
I've gotten that warning several times, sometimes it rather amusing though it may be a member that's been here for years and just hasn't post much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back