• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No more jug chokes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteJoe

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I won't be doing any more jug chokes for folks here. It's getting to the point that my back won't let me stand at the bench more than two or three hours per day and I'd rather spend that time working on my own projects. Selfish of me I know but I've always been selfish and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I have a number of projects in my head that I'd like to transfer into reality and what's the point of being retired if you don't have time to do what you want? I never intended the jug choking thing to become a business but since it has I'm sure someone else will be eager to jump in and I'll be glad to give them any help I can.
I'm not saying goodbye, I'll be on this forum regularly, I just won't be taking any new work.
Thanks to those who's work has kept me in powder and chewin' tobaccy up to now! :hatsoff:

Joe, No one can blame you for wanting a little more time for yourself but you certainly did build up a good reputation. Your jug choking will be missed.

I don't know you yet but I look forward to learning from your experience.

Dang....

Thanks alot. I might just as well go out and start buyin' those danged suppository feeders...

:grin:

Not selfish at all, I retire next year and dang sure want to do what I want to for a while. Chris

After two back surgeries, and being down the last three months with back problems (bad discs the surgen won't touch ) I know exactly where you are coming from ! I would be happy to have something that I could do standing. My problem is sitting,lifting, or bending. Right now I have several camp tables and chairs to make and I am just getting back over to the shop.I hope after a rest you will feel like doing some more. I retired five years ago so I could do more rendezvous but it seems like I get to less than before I retired. I wish you an improvement and many more activities. :bow:

Enjoy your retirement while you can. :hatsoff: Life's tooo short don't ya know!! :cursing:
Dusty :wink:

Thanks for the Warning, JOE! :grin: :rotf:

Seriously, it was kind of you to post pictures and answer questions about your equipment used to Jug Choke barrels on this forum, and I believe that taught me more about how this kind of work is done BY HAND" than anything else I have ever read about the process!

Its time for you to enjoy your retirement- not to embark on a new career! I am sure the extra money helped pay for some new toys, and that is as it should be. But turning a hobby into a job is a terrible way to destroy a HOBBY! Worse, its hard to then find something else to do that gives you as much pleasure as a Hobby!?!

Enjoy your retirement with our collective thanks. You richly deserve. There are lots of us with back problems that have put a "whoa" in our " giddyups!", so don't even think about an apology!Its God's way of reminding us that we were designed, like other mammals, to walk/stand on all fours, and our spines and discs simply were not designed to last as old as we now live.

Every time someone now asks me to show up for an early morning appointment, I remember the line that Robert Redford's Character, "Sunny Steele" said to Jane Fonda, in "The Electric Horseman":

" I'm okay. Its just that some of my parts don't get up at the same time as the rest of me!"

Take care. Paul

That's a good quotation Paul, and thanks to all for the kind words.
I've found yet another way to spend free time, Pyrotechnics! I've always been fascinated with fireworks and wondered "now how did they do that"? Now I'm learning how and it is a hoot! When I get a mortar shell or better yet a rocket to rise to just the right height and burst into a beautiful flower I feel like I've really done something. :haha:
I can do most of the work sitting down and it's still blackpowder! :wink:

So I guess my tulle is your last one.
:haha:
Thanks Joe! Don't know how I got so lucky with a good friend like you.
:bow:

Joe be carefull with that pyrotechnic stuff! :bow: I had a friend ,Whitetail, whose son-in-law was a licensed pyrotechnic and was visiting on day and whitetail was talking about a stump behind the house he wanted dug out. His son-in-law said that if he had known he would have brought his gear and blown it loose for him. Whitetail said he had a can of pydodex they could use. James replied that a substitute black powder would not have much power and he did not have his books to look up how much would be needed. They than decided to use the whole pound and see what happened. The stump went over the garage and house landing in the neighbor's field! :hmm: :hmm:

Hey Joe, I just posted a story about my opening day PA gobbler hunt.

That was the 16 ga. you did for me this winter.

Thanks for you good work.

Have fun doin' what ever the heck you want to do.

Take Care

Greg Day

Back