• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NMLRA Western Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanscamaro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Plan on attending my first NMLRA Western Shoot at Ben Avery in Phoenix, February 10-15 this year. Anybody out there attended before who might have good points to consider when attending?
:hatsoff:

I went last year. All I would be concerned about is that it gets cold at night if you are camping.Well run shoot, but expensive. I remember paying $1 to register to shoot at Friendship years ago, now its $40.

I went last year. All I would be concerned about is that it gets cold at night if you are camping.Well run shoot, but expensive. I remember paying $1 to register to shoot at Friendship years ago, now its $40.

It seems that this shoot gets smaller every year. I don't think the NMLRA can see anything west of the Miss. River. :shake:

The desert does get cold at night in the winter. But for me, I just keep the heat up enough that I don't get cold. I live in Peoria, AZ, which is about 40 minutes from Ben Avery.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Greetings from Sun City West. If you need powder get there the first couple of days. And, as Fitter stated, some things can be a bit expensive. However, it is fun and interesting. I'm dissapointed that the local media doesn't give it some coverage. They can drive to Flagstaff to cover a snow fall.

That's because they never make any effort to get the word out.

I was shooting BP at Wickenburg a few months back, and several shooters asked me about the gun and this and that. Several of them were "recreational" bp shooters, had lived in the area for years, and had no knowledge that the shoot even existed.

Seems to me the least they could do would be to get volunteers to drop flyers at the local gun shops, and before any one jumps on me, yes, I did volunteer. Two years in a row, and never even got a call back from anyone at the NMLRA, after spending several minutes on the phone with the secretary there.

I let my membership expire.

Thanks for that BP tip, because that is something I was interested in getting. I only knew the Shoot existed, because I was driving over to Mesa when I needed BP and was buying it from the Muzzlestuffers Club who meet at the range up on Usery Mt. Road. They buy it in quantity from the SW Shoot and then sell it to members and any BP people who come to their monthly meets for the price they pay. They are really a nice bunch of guys and helped me in a lot of tips and training as I got into the sport. I don't need a lot of BP as I am a recreational shooter and only punch paper.
:bow: :v :hatsoff:

I used to call that little Gun Shop in Wickenburg every year to get Info. on the Ben Avery Shoot. There was always something at the Wickenburg Gun Show as well. :) All that being said, I don't think the NMLRA gives a Damn about western shooters. Once you get west of Indiana forget it. I offered to help out{A Certified Inst.} never heard a word back from these people. No longer pay dues. :shake:

Well, I'm not a member of the NMLRA, so I can't really comment on their worth or focus. I am going to the shoot (probably early, based on everyones feedback), as I haven't been to one like it for BP shooters. I have been to an SASS event at Avery with my grandson and enjoyed it. I will probably not miss the opportunity to buy some powder at a decent price. Hope to maybe meet someone else from the forum there.
:hatsoff:

I stock up on flint and any other stuff I need.
This shoot is getting smaller every year. :(

The NMLRA want members dues from people west of the Mississippi, but their focus is on Friendship Indiana, they have never really publicized the Winter Shoot in the States around Arizona or in Arizona. Publicity, and PR cost Money, they would rather spend in Friendship. :bull:

I have been to the last two gun show at the Arizona State Fairgrounds, and there were Winter Shooter flyers there. This is the first time I have seen any NMLRA fliers at these gun shows since 1999 for the 2000 Winter Shoot when I was a NMLRA Fired Representative at Large, and took the flyer to the shows. 2000 was also the year I was nominated for NMLRA Field Representative of the YEAR, and the Year I quit the NMLRA!

The shoot has got smaller, and smaller, less traders come. I recall the days when JP GunStock, Tom Fox, the Caywoods, TVM, NorthStar West and several other custom/semi custom gun makers brought their wear to the Western/Winter Shoot. :bull:

But this will be the one opportunity to buy REAL Black Powder at a fair price in Arizona if the Don the Power Guy from Arkansas comes. Plus buy ML, and Buckskinning Supplies

As I have not been out to Ben Avery Range (BASF)in over a year. I can not say what plans for this year Shoot.

I have sense no local PR, or Advertising of the Shoot, maybe next week. But I think per the norm the NMLRA will not spend resources on the shoot.

Sadly you have a group of volunteers who as long as the shoot has been going work their butts off with NO THANKS from the NMLRA BRASS. :idunno:

Also when Don Turner was the Head Game Ranger/Range Master at BASF he personally did all he could to help the NMLRA with their shoot, short of waving ALL RANGE & FACILITY USEAGE FEES, and ALL CAMPING FEES to the NMLRA, as all group got to pay to use the BASF facility.

IMHO it is too late to resurrect the NMLRA at Ben Avery as many of the Western Members of the NMLRA have become disillusioned with the NMLRA’s Officer, and BOD who have been promising for year to the Member NEXT YEAR, well NEXT year has come and gone more than 10 times, and the promises are just LIP SERVICE IMHO.

I may go out to the WNS next Friday, or Sunday, but the word is MAY as I really do not need anything, but it is a time to see some old friend.

akapennypincher said:
The NMLRA want members dues from people west of the Mississippi, but their focus is on Friendship Indiana, they have never really publicized the Winter Shoot in the States around Arizona or in Arizona. Publicity, and PR cost Money, they would rather spend in Friendship. :bull:

I have been to the last two gun show at the Arizona State Fairgrounds, and there were Winter Shooter flyers there. This is the first time I have seen any NMLRA fliers at these gun shows since 1999 for the 2000 Winter Shoot when I was a NMLRA Fired Representative at Large, and took the flyer to the shows. 2000 was also the year I was nominated for NMLRA Field Representative of the YEAR, and the Year I quit the NMLRA!

You rehash this every time someone mentions the Winter shoot. We all remember how you feel. Please give it a rest.

So today is the first day, if anyone goes out report on what or what not is happening. Plus if Don is there with Powder.

Yes, Don is there. Goex fff, $15.00 per pound.

So is Tip Curtis; didn't know until I'd spent my"allowance"!

dogman said:
Yes, Don is there. Goex fff, $15.00 per pound.

So is Tip Curtis; didn't know until I'd spent my"allowance"!

Thanks for the report, may wonder out Friday.

BTW what was the Cost of FFG Swiss??????

Latest posts

Back