• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipples for 1849 Pocket Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an old (probably 20 yrs or more) Italian replica 1849 Colt Pocket pistol that needs new nipples. I know Dixie probably has them, but are there any other sources? What size are they, as in metric and/or thread designation etc. etc.? Wanna make sure I order the right ones. Thanks for any help.

Size might very well depend on who the manufacturer was. Pietta uses M6x0.75 metric threaded nipples, while Uberti uses 12x28 UNC threaded nipples in that size gun. You need to either determine the manufacturer or take one of the nipples to your local hardware store and ask them to measure it. You could also just compare it to the bolts in their small hardware bins.

Suppliers are Dixie Gun Works, Jedediah Starr, Track of the Wolf, The Possible Shop, Cabela's and many others.

Don't know who the mfg was, but on the bottom of the grip frame it says "PR FIE Italy. If I'm not mistaken, FIE was the importer, right? Thanks for the response.

In order to use the VTI Gunparts site one needs to know the manufacturer.

I don't recognize PR FIE, so I can't help much more. The trip to the hardware store is looking better and better.

FIE ? That is a way back if its the same people. Try Deer Creek they got a bit of everything. Fred :hatsoff:

Carolina Longhunter said:
Don't know who the mfg was, but on the bottom of the grip frame it says "PR FIE Italy. If I'm not mistaken, FIE was the importer, right? Thanks for the response.

FIE was an importer back in the late seventies and eighties that used to import a lot of spanish and italian BP stuff. Their imports ranged from junk to pretty decent stuff. As I remember they were the ones who imported a Hawken similar to CVA's that had a chrome lined bore.

An update on my search for nipples for the old '49 Pocket pistol: I did call VTI, and he said the source for those nipples has pretty well dried up. He gave me the name of a guy in Texas, and he confirmed the same. So, what I did was take the old, smashed-up nipples out, put 'em in a vise, and carefully filed them down as square as I could, and re-installed them. Put 5 caps (#11's) on, and they all went "bang". Now, am looking for some .320 round balls for it. Gonna get 'er shootin' yet! :wink:

Thanks to all who responded.

There is an outfit that will make custom sized nipples. I have no idea how expensive they would be, but they have an 800 number so it can't cost anything to have a chat with them. Here's their web site:
Bloomquist Percussion Works

Back