• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1855 Colt Pocket Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All. I thought some of you might be interested in this little old gun of mine.

Since I was a child I've been fascinated with small things and miniatures. That interest also applies to my preferences in firearms, from my North American Arms .22 Companion revolver to my Enfield musketoon/artillery rifle. I couldn’t help, then, falling in love with the Colt pocket revolvers. I have three Baby Dragoons and six 1849 pocket models, all but one with the four-inch barrel. (I admit it – a bit obsessive. Anyone want to buy an 1849 Colt pocket revolver?)

Of the Colt C&B pocket revolvers, the Root is my favorite – it’s just too cool. Unloaded it weighs one pound one ounce. It’s so small that it almost does feel and handle like a toy and there’s nothing more distinctive on any handgun than that sidehammer. Like I said – too cool!

Last year I picked up this Model 1855, made in 1860, with a three-and-one-half inch barrel. It is in good condition; mechanically everything works correctly; there are no major handling scuffs, scratches or other marks; some very superficial pitting but no active rust spots; with maybe 15 percent of bluing still visible. If anyone who knows these revolvers well would like to share that knowledge with me, I'd like to have an idea of the value of the gun and/or the whole cased set. Just send me a private message.

Bill Shumate just finished this splendid case for me and like the two other cases that I have purchased from him it is perfection. To give you an idea of the scale of the gun, the case is only 5" x 10¼". (Thanks Bill!) The flask and bullet mold are original “Colt’s Patent” accessories. The other accessories are reproductions.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Cased 1855 Root Sidehammer.jpg
    Cased 1855 Root Sidehammer.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 1855 Root Sidehammer & accessories.jpg
    1855 Root Sidehammer & accessories.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Hi All. I thought some of you might be interested in this little old gun of mine.

Since I was a child I've been fascinated with small things and miniatures. That interest also applies to my preferences in firearms, from my North American Arms .22 Companion revolver to my Enfield musketoon/artillery rifle. I couldn’t help, then, falling in love with the Colt pocket revolvers. I have three Baby Dragoons and six 1849 pocket models, all but one with the four-inch barrel. (I admit it – a bit obsessive. Anyone want to buy an 1849 Colt pocket revolver?)

Of the Colt C&B pocket revolvers, the Root is my favorite – it’s just too cool. Unloaded it weighs one pound one ounce. It’s so small that it almost does feel and handle like a toy and there’s nothing more distinctive on any handgun than that sidehammer. Like I said – too cool!

Last year I picked up this Model 1855, made in 1860, with a three-and-one-half inch barrel. It is in good condition; mechanically everything works correctly; there are no major handling scuffs, scratches or other marks; some very superficial pitting but no active rust spots; with maybe 15 percent of bluing still visible. If anyone who knows these revolvers well would like to share that knowledge with me, I'd like to have an idea of the value of the gun and/or the whole cased set. Just send me a private message.

Bill Shumate just finished this splendid case for me and like the two other cases that I have purchased from him it is perfection. To give you an idea of the scale of the gun, the case is only 5" x 10¼". (Thanks Bill!) The flask and bullet mold are original “Colt’s Patent” accessories. The other accessories are reproductions.

Enjoy!
Thanks! I didn't know they even existed. The idea of a sidehammer pistol is very novel to me.

I heard a rumor that the Colt Model of 1855 pocket revolver will be made as a reproduction.
This cap and ball revolver is to be a five-shot, .31-caliber, as were the originals.
Anyone know if a reproduction of this obscure Colt revolver is in the works? I doubt Colt would make such a thing, as it's entirely out of the black powder revolver business now (what a foolish move on Colt's part!)
The Colt Model is often referred to as the "sidehammer" or "Root" model for Elias K. Root. Actually, Samuel Colt invented this revolver but Root, Colt's designer, later received the credit.
The hammer was attached to the right side of the frame. The hammer extended to the left, to hit the cylinder dead-center.
This was Colt's first solid-frame revolver, with the barrel screwed into the frame a la Remington.
The pin upon which the cylinder revolved was removed from the rear.
About 40,000 of these pocket revolvers were made between 1857 and 1872, in .28 (actually .265) and .31 calibers. Barrel length was either 3.5 or 4.5 inches.
I handled an original once and thought it was nicely balanced with its 3.5 inch barrel. Small too.
It would be a nice fit in the pocket and handy for potting a rabbit or grouse.
The .31-caliber ball is only about 50 grains weight, but would leave the barrel at up to about 800 fps with 12 or 13 grains of FFFG. This should bag small game.
I wouldn't want to be hit with one, either. It would enter a few inches of flesh, just enough to start a good infection with all that black powder fouling and lubricant.
Anyway, anyone heard of the Colt Model 1855 coming out in a reproduction?

I haven’t heard but I would certainly be a buyer. Mine is probably ok to shoot but I don’t want to risk either the gun or me.

I bought an 1855 Palmetto reproduction from another forum member some time ago but it needed work and parts. I wasn’t confident I could repair it so I returned it. It was later resold to yet another forum member who had the skill to bring it back to life. That’s the only other Root I’ve ever seen. I like shooting the 1849 pocket and I would really like to shoot a Root if/when they become available.

Italy's Palmetto made these Colt 1855 Root Pockets in .31 and .36 cal., barrel lenghts was 3,5" and 5,5".
The .31 cal variants were produced between 1997 and 2006.
With 3,5" barrels they are nice replications of the Root No. 6.
The .36 versions were likely made during the early 2000s.
Palmetto discontinued all of their gun making ca. 2007.
Long Johns Wolf

I am also amongst the legions of individuals looking for a Palmetto Colt/Root pocket pistol.

Latest posts

Back