• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman plains pistol nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadhoarder

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just received a new to me plains pistol. The nipple that came with it seems to be one of those slix shot or similar nipple that has the vent holes on the side. I am sure this is not the OEM nipple. It is in good shape and does not need to be replaced but I noticed that the way the hammer sits on the nipple that the nipple is too high. Probably not enough to matter and I am not going to bother replacing it but I am curious if there are different sizes available for the plains pistol. I think a previous owner likely put a rifle nipple on it.

That little bit of difference in height of the cone won't make any difference in performance. There shouldn't be a stop on the frame to minimize the mushrooming of cone due to impact of the hammer on the cone. I have a Cherry Corners lock on my own parts build Hawken Rifle. It has a Hot shot nipple (#11 size). It has a spring from a L&R Late English lock that is strong enough to fire a #10 cap on that nipple. I watch for mushrooming on the cone as the nipple stops the hammer fall. So far, no mushrooming. I wouldn't be looking for a replacement nipple just yet.

Track of the Wolf does show two lengths of nipples for the Lyman Rifles. The Hot Shot nipple which has the vent hole similar to the one on your plains pistol is the overall length of 0.635". The other nipple has a length of 0.570" but there is no distinction between a new or old Lyman.

Latest posts

Back