• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple woes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCP

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Nipple woes

1861 Colt Navy Uberti- that uses M6-75 nipples (older model)
CCI #11 caps
Track of the wolf PIR-S M6-75 nipples

I installed 1 nipple and its way to long

Faced it shorter in a mini lathe till a cap will go on and cylinder will turn

Fired 2 caps and everything is fine

So I faced the other 5

Some caps go on and cylinder turns some wont so I take a pencil with an eraser and push caps on so cylinder will turn, so may be a little too long

Then I used the guns hammer to push caps on

1st try 4 misfires, all fire on 2nd try
2nd try 5 misfires, all fire on 2nd try

Now I am trying 1 at a time
All misfire, all fire on 2nd try

When looking at the cap it’s not all the way down
On 2nd try cap is bottom out on the face and then fires.

At first I am thinking they are too long
But CAP HEAD is shorter than the caps already
Cap head may be too tight because I shorten it.
So I could put it back on the mini Lathe and reduce the heads Diameter and or turn the face back to make Cap head longer.

Any help will be appreciated

Ever hear of size 10 3/4 caps? Some Italian revolvers work well with these caps & stock nipples. But since you've started taking "meat" off of the new nipples, keep trying till they fit and good luck!

Dave

Did you shorten the nipple by facing off the end the cap fits on? If so you will have left a larger diameter cone as they are tapered. If the skirt of the percussion cap contacts the shoulder of the nipple than the nipple is too short, possibly you can find a cap with a shorter skirt or you could turn the shoulder back still leaving enough for a wrench to engage. If you still have the original nipples you might be able to measure them for dimensions like the length.

RWS 1075 cap dimensions: http://s627.photobucket.com/user/Mako_CAS/media/Cap Gun Primer/RWS1075.png.htm

Cap comaprison: http://s627.photobucket.com/user/Mako_CAS/media/Cap Gun Primer/SectionedCaps.png.html

Using the hammer to push the caps on isn't a great idea specially if the cylinder is loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that you need to reduce the diameter so that the hammer will not be seating the cap with the first strike. Geo. T.

Nipple fix

With a Sherline Mini Lathe

Track of the Wolf have no nipples that work

Track of the Wolf Nipples PIR-S M6-.75 have to be modified

OAL .525 reduced to .500

Removed .020 from the front face of seat to lengthened cone

Tapered profile of cone to refit #11 caps with a small file

Also one could counter bore revolver cylinder nipple seat .025 but then the #10 nipples will be too short.

smokin .50 said:
Ever hear of size 10 3/4 caps? Some Italian revolvers work well with these caps & stock nipples. But since you've started taking "meat" off of the new nipples, keep trying till they fit and good luck!

Dave

That would be the Navy Arms / RWS / Dynamit Nobel caps #1075. They've been made for 40 years or so & nobody really ever mentions them anymore, although the same cap made today looks dimensionally identical to a tin of Navy Arms branded Dynamit Nobel caps of over 30 years ago.

Latest posts

Back