• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublesnider

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,
Im repairing an old Tranter revolver by J.Blanch.
I have not shoot it yet. It have the original nipples and they have smaller diameter than the caps.
Pressing the side of the caps, they stay put but Im afraid of chain fire posibility.
Is it safe to shot this way?
I tried N°10 and N°11 Remington and no one fit.
tranter5aX.jpg

Thanks
Martin

They're probably "No. 9's", although the current practices of CCI and Remington make the size numbers a bit of a joke.

Honestly, you are courting a chain fire by using poorly fitting caps. I don't personally believe that's necessarily unsafe, at least in terms of personal injury. It may damage the gun, however.

It would be nice to be able to restore the gun using ALL original parts, but if it were me I'd replace the nipples with modern ones (it's possible to have a set made with custom threads if they're not one of the contemporary sizes) that can use modern caps. Keep the old ones, of course, but shoot it with new ones.

Thanks Mykeal,
I solved it crimping the caps a little.
It would work until a can order nipples from London.

DSC00374a.jpg

It have a tight fit almos scrapping nipple surface.

Martin

Back