• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple Covers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for all the great ideas. The more people share ideas the more others learn.

Mike

I was hunting on opening day of the Missouri muzzleloader season a few years ago with a percussion plains rifle, it was pitch dark and pouring rain when I got to the woods. Of course I had left my light at home so when I got to the stand I had chosen I proceeded to cap my rifle by "feel" under my poncho. I saw nary a deer that morning and the rain continued until around 10:30. I looked down at my rifle for the first time and saw an uncapped nipple! apparently I had Managed to miss with my capper! I went back to the truck to pull the soggy charge, dry and reload. When I got back I capped the gun lined up on a stump and pulled the trigger. The gun fired like it was bone dry! After standing for 5 1/2 hours in rain that ranged from hard to downpour with the hammer at half cock on an open nipple the gun fired, I have not concerned myself much with waterproofing after that trip.

Bob

This being my first BP elk hunt I am being a bit paranoid about that one chance. The last thing I want to have happen is a wet load for any reason. The sound of the hammer falling and then silence...man what a shame that would be!

Mike

Don't be just make sure the cap is on tight.
I haven't used any kind of cover at all in heavy
rain or snow while hunting with a cap lock.
with a flint lock I use a cow's knee.
haven't had any problem yet.
good luck and enjoy the hunt

Mike F.:

This probably falls in the Craftsman area, butttt here's what I use:

A short piece of doe skin with a slit in one end. The other end is looped around trigger guard and through the slit. At that end, I use a spent .25Auto casing, cap removed, drilled and tapped for short brass screw, which goes through the doe skin.

It fits nicely over the cap and nipple; with the hammer down it serves as my safety and my moisture protection. It's important to note after full cock, remember to remove protective casing as it may not automatically fall off.

Osage

Back