• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Covid "Hostage gun" Rescued

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I went by the gun shop my rifle was held covid hostage(I did not want to go in and get it..sort of?) in on my way to mail some grips. ..the owner was standing outside on his country store type front porch so I wheeled in and rolled down my window and said hey Bud how ya feeling ?? ..hows the wife ?? ..both feeling better and no temp he says ..then "hey ya want your Rengade?" ..I'll bring it out to the porch
So it is already unboxed (he checks for damage while UPS guy is there) ..he set it down on his wood bench ..He is a T/C guy also and says it's above average condition for what he sees ... I get out of my truck with gloves n mask on ..snatch it up and head to the house ...

4 hours and I have the nipple opened up, fire channel cleared, and barrel scrubbed with hot water n dish soap ..dried, coated with lead scrubber and hard bronze brushing followed by dry patches X4, ..then a Hoppe #9 and brushing, then an ever so light oil patch ..Before Hoppes and oil application.. a dry patch still came out "marked"

I don't remember the rifling being so shallow from 40 years ago I must say...

I oiled the bore (Bore looks really good) because I am going back in as I believe there to still be some lead in it that has oxidized (how to hint at cleaning oxided lead is always welcome)

The Sights look different from my memory ..these I can actually see !!!!

Plus it came with a nice lattigo type sling, quick detachable swivels and fiberglass ram rod

I think it's had a good caretaker as it shows fewer marks than some safe queens but the knurled hammer spur is blueless and thin ..it would take a lot of cocks to weardown and polish that hammer spur

I thought maybe a scabbard gun but there is no muzzle wear or leather wear anywhere ..

So now the pretty pretty part is covered ..stay tuned for a break in the weather and we will see if it is an expensive trot line weight ..or if pretty pretty can talk my language;)

Bear
20220201_162941.jpg
20220201_162950.jpg
20220201_163003.jpg
20220201_163336.jpg

Old fashioned way to remove lead- 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/white vinegar. Plug fire channel, fill barrel. Don’t get it on the finish. Don’t leave it in more than 5 minutes. Pour out, thoroughly rinse with water and scrub with tight patches. It does work.

Well I went by the gun shop my rifle was held covid hostage(I did not want to go in and get it..sort of?) in on my way to mail some grips. ..the owner was standing outside on his country store type front porch so I wheeled in and rolled down my window and said hey Bud how ya feeling ?? ..hows the wife ?? ..both feeling better and no temp he says ..then "hey ya want your Rengade?" ..I'll bring it out to the porch
So it is already unboxed (he checks for damage while UPS guy is there) ..he set it down on his wood bench ..He is a T/C guy also and says it's above average condition for what he sees ... I get out of my truck with gloves n mask on ..snatch it up and head to the house ...

4 hours and I have the nipple opened up, fire channel cleared, and barrel scrubbed with hot water n dish soap ..dried, coated with lead scrubber and hard bronze brushing followed by dry patches X4, ..then a Hoppe #9 and brushing, then an ever so light oil patch ..Before Hoppes and oil application.. a dry patch still came out "marked"

I don't remember the rifling being so shallow from 40 years ago I must say...

I oiled the bore (Bore looks really good) because I am going back in as I believe there to still be some lead in it that has oxidized (how to hint at cleaning oxided lead is always welcome)

The Sights look different from my memory ..these I can actually see !!!!

Plus it came with a nice lattigo type sling, quick detachable swivels and fiberglass ram rod

I think it's had a good caretaker as it shows fewer marks than some safe queens but the knurled hammer spur is blueless and thin ..it would take a lot of cocks to weardown and polish that hammer spur

I thought maybe a scabbard gun but there is no muzzle wear or leather wear anywhere ..

So now the pretty pretty part is covered ..stay tuned for a break in the weather and we will see if it is an expensive trot line weight ..or if pretty pretty can talk my language;)

BearView attachment 119085View attachment 119086View attachment 119087View attachment 119088
It will shoot roundball or a Lee REAL bullet really nicely. That bore is not too bad for that.

Old fashioned way to remove lead- 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/white vinegar. Plug fire channel, fill barrel. Don’t get it on the finish. Don’t leave it in more than 5 minutes. Pour out, thoroughly rinse with water and scrub with tight patches. It does work.
Here's a YouTube video on cleaning barrels with a brass brush that I found quite interesting. It is in an unmentionable barrel, but should apply to ML's as well. Please don't blame me if you ruin your muzzleloader. I have an unmentionable that is filled with lead that I am going to get really aggressive with after seeing this video. YMMV.

The method I posted can ruin a barrel if it's abused. No more than 5 minutes and then it's bronze wool time

Latest posts

Back