• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newer CNC locks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of our lock parts are milled on a 5 axis mill. The vendor is 15 minutes from us. We do not have a 5 Axis HAAS mill in house if that’s what your asking?
Thanks
Chris Laubach

Well Chris...you could always buy all the equipment you need to make your lock instead of using an existing excellent local shop. Then all you would have to do is charge $1500 for it to recoup your investment over the next ten years for all the sales you would make to the few people; like me, who clearly understand and have seen the difference between it and the cheaper competition. Then...you could set up for lefties...and sell two of them a year for $2500 to cover your costs in 20 years. C'mon man...it's simple math. : )

ok… I wasn’t going to get into this but EC121.. please explain to us what was wrong with the Laubach lock?..I’m reading the email from your friend now… and would love to discuss.. so please inform us…
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I said that I like the lock, but I would want to inspect one before I buy it.

All of our lock parts are milled on a 5 axis mill. The vendor is 15 minutes from us. We do not have a 5 Axis HAAS mill in house if that’s what your asking?
Thanks
Chris Laubach
Thanks for responding. Yes,, that was my question concerning in house or outsourcing. I thought I remembered talking with you when you were starting this project and you mentioned that. An in with the shop and being local makes a difference for timing I'm sure.
As far as dollars, I guess I was pointing out for consideration that purchasing for in house is a great deal of up front investment AND training if needed for any operators, etc. and outsourcing could be costly in another form so its money either way to make a quality product, it just varies as to when and how its expensed.
It seems the CNC jump was just taking off with a few of you younger pioneers when all this covid mess through a wrench into the works. Kudos to being able to come thru with improved innovations amongst all the roadblocks.

By the way..... any plans for replicating the lock off that "gamekeeper" rifle you got from Gary?

Last edited:
What needs to be tuned on a Kibler lock? You stated "work must be done".
Use a magnifying glass, and examine the engagement points on the sear and tumbler. Those only need the lightest of touch up for mirror smoothness.
As for "You stated "work must be done", where did I say that? Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

I've tuned a couple hundred locks over the years, and blueprinted hundreds of bolt and single shot actions. I found the Kibler needs the least work to get the performance I want.

David's question seems innocent enough and I think his reading comprehension is fine - maybe needs to work on quotations... "needs the least work" implies work must be done.
I had the same question.
My curiosity is genuine. I assume his was as well.
We all appreciate the response as it is informative.

Well Chris...you could always buy all the equipment you need to make your lock instead of using an existing excellent local shop. Then all you would have to do is charge $1500 for it to recoup your investment over the next ten years for all the sales you would make to the few people; like me, who clearly understand and have seen the difference between it and the cheaper competition. Then...you could set up for lefties...and sell two of them a year for $2500 to cover your costs in 20 years. C'mon man...it's simple math. : )
Yeah, I sure L&R and Caywood are still paying for the tooling used for making left handed locks. Simple math indeed.
Robby

Sometimes items are categorized as "the cost of doing business", and while the greater profit may not be realized at first, it brings people in the door and gets them coming back. I don't care a fig if those CNC lock makers choose not to make left hand locks. I just don't care to hear all the BS from those with no first hand
knowledge. Just like in a lot of other controversial threads.
Robby

Sometimes items are categorized as "the cost of doing business", and while the greater profit may not be realized at first, it brings people in the door and gets them coming back. I don't care a fig if those CNC lock makers choose not to make left hand locks. I just don't care to hear all the BS from those with no first hand
knowledge. Just like in a lot of other controversial threads.
Robby

I put it out there that my CNC vendor has a minimum per piece run.. 100 is the magic number. I let it be known that when I get 100 “left hand” committed orders I’d run them. That was two years ago… to date I have 42 committed orders for left hand locks.

Thanks
Chris

Latest posts

Back