• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

newby needs advice on peepsight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 50 cal Hatfield [Blue Ridge, Frontier,] rifle. Would like to put a peep sight on the tang, does anybody have any information as to what sight would work, and location to inatall. Any info would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Hobbles,

Now you got me curious .... do you really need that button to tell you where to put your nose?

and ... how much accurate do you think you shoot with a peep over the other?

thanks

ss1, I installed a peep that track of the wolf has in thier online catalog, it's real nice and works well,it was mounted were the rear site on your blue ridge rifle rear is . you my have to enlarge your original dove tail. hope this helps ya. bb75

hou5ton said:
Hobbles,
Now you got me curious .... do you really need that button to tell you where to put your nose?

and ... how much accurate do you think you shoot with a peep over the other?

thanks

Afternoon hou5ton
That darn button really helped me be consistent in the POI, The peep sight also helped for a well lighted target, But my eyes just ain't what they used to be, And huntin in the woods THIS year I have had a lil problem usin the peep, But I REALLY liked it for target shootin,

well ... my eyes ain't what they used to be either ... are you sayin' the peeps are harder to use than the open sights?

That sight might work [I think Brownells has one that will adjust horizonal] How ever I really would like to mount on tang.LONGER SIGHTING RADIUS and el & hor adj.

I like peepers. I have a .223 Rem single shot with a Williams Foolproof Target peep that doesn't lack for a scope on woodchucks out to 250 yards or so. And my .303 MkIV S.M.L.E. would give you a pierced nostril with that brass tack.

You shouldn't even think about the rear aperature. If you can see the front sight, concentrate on that and the rear will take care of itself. That's the whole concept of the peep sight - ignore the rear and let your eye center the image unconsciously. Some have a tiny hole and do drop the available light substantially. For hunting, the larger "ghost ring" models are better for dark woods. Or, just remove the insert and shoot with the threaded opening.

The biggest problem I have found is that in rain or snow they can fill with water/ice. You lift the gun up and find you're looking at an upside-down deer that's wildly distorted. Or, you just can't see through it at all. :(

I generally screw out the aperature and throw the danged thing away. Lets in a lot of light, and don't hurt the huntin' accuracy a tall. :winking:

The size of the hole really doesn't matter, since you look through the aperture at the front sight and target. The fine pinhole you see on most peeps is for target shooting. If you are experiencing poor vision (as we all do, as we age) then the peep will seem like magic. Try one and you'll never go back.
BTW, the aperture should be as close to your eye as safety will permit.
Good shooting!

If I was you I'd see an oculist, that's a genuwine eye Doctor, not an Optomitrist. :thumbsup:

hou5ton said:
well ... my eyes ain't what they used to be either ... are you sayin' the peeps are harder to use than the open sights?
Evenin hou5ton
They are for me in darker places, (shadows) I even drilled out the peep sight 4 different times, Then I got good, in the light, But I gotta say, this year my eyes really went south, I just started usin a weak pair of glasses and I can sea the sights and the target now,(was advice I got on here) I am far sighted and I can't sea the sights without the glasses, and I can't sea the target with em,, I am now usin the strongest readin glasses they have on the rack to read with. I wanted to go shootin today but I have rain and heavy winds, so I will shoot tomorrow to sea how good I can do, I took the peep off, but now that I can sea again, I think I will leave the peep off, I have optic sights and that was the biggest improvement for me,, I can't shoot any matches they have on here with the peep or the optic's, but I can hunt again,,,

Evenin Slamfire
I deleted my post to rewrite it, then seen you already answered it, so I put it back,

I have the same rifle, it is a keeper. I've mounted a simple peep which requires drilling only one 8x23 or 10x32 hole in the tang. That hole must be square to the barrel both fore & aft as well as side to side. The sight itself can be just a simple thumb screw with a 1/8" hole drilled through the thumb piece. You can get much more creative and make a better looking sight but a thumb screw works and if you decide you don't like it or are shooting where only open sights are allowed it is easy to remove and plug the hole.
Peep sights, where allowed, are the only way to go. If you go with a large aperture and an ivory bead up front, you can shoot in light way too dim for open sights and a peep is much faster since you only put the bead on target and fire, no time spent carefully aligning front with rear.Try it, you'll like it. :grin:

Not to pick nits, here, but I think an oculist is the guy who makes glasses. An Othalmologist is the eye doctor.

I believe you are correct. Danged "old timers" disease ain't exactly sneakin' up on me, it is makin' a full on frontal assault. :(

LOL! I have a near terminal case of CRS ( Can't Remember $4!+)myself. I've just had a lot of recent experience with lousy vision . If I can see the target, I can't see the sights, and vice versa.

This gettin' old ain't for sissies!

This is the best idea that i have seen !! Should thrumb scred be steel or could it be brass? Have you looked at fitting a comerical peepsight to this rifle [ ver & hor adj ] perhaps using the tang screw for one of sight mounting holes, and d & t for the other mounting screw ? I am 68, and need all the help i can get. I just shoot targets

Back