• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie question here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are the differences in styles of the Kibler kits? To my uneducated eye they are all essentially the same being full stocked rifles.

What are the differences in styles of the Kibler kits? To my uneducated eye they are all essentially the same being full stocked rifles.
If you read the descriptions on the Kibler site, it tells the area and time period each model was created from. This is the case with all muzzleloaders. Read up on this forum for a while, your mind will be blown with all the info.

The Colonial and Woodrunner are close but the Woodsrunner is shorter barreled and seems thinner in profile but I didnt't have both side by side to compare. But the woodrunner is lighter. The SMR is very light thin/slender rifle and in smaller calibers. All represent a different time period and style.

In full disclosure I'd like to add

1. I'm not a re-enactor so historical accuracy is of minor importance to me.

2. I really like the looks of half stocked rifles better than fun stocked one.

I just want a quality flint lock without breaking the bank. When my budget allows it I'll probably get a Kibler kit. I'm leaning towards the southern mountain rifle just because I'm from Arkansas.

Easy for you to say as others have said the same. BUT I have been over these two sites. Can't find it/them. I am sure they are staring me in the face!

How about a link?
https://www.jimkibler.net/
https://kiblerslongrifles.com/

"Woodsrunner"

• Inspired by an original rifle, commonly referred to as the "Woodsrunner" which many believe to have been made in the valley in Virginia during the 1760s.
  • Reminiscent of a true frontier rifle
  • Weight 7 ½ to 8 Lbs.
  • Barrel Length 39 ¾”
  • .45, .50, .54 caliber
  • Nicely Swamped Barrel
  • Pull 13 7/16
  • Cast-off 3/16"
  • Drop at Heel: 3” to 3 ¼”
  • Drop at Comb: 1 ¾” to 2”
  • Butt Width: 2”
  • Butt Height: 5”
  • Cherry, Walnut, Maple, Fancy Maple, Extra Fancy Maple
  • Kibler Round-Faced English Lock
  • Sliding Wood Patchbox Only
  • Brass Hardware
  • Single Trigger
  • Very handy and easy to carry
  • Customer Supplied Wood needs to be 57 1/2” long and 2 ¼” thick

Colonial Rifle Kit

Description

• Styling from the 1760’s -1770’s
  • Representative of rifles produced in many of the colonies during this time period.
  • Stock has a pull of about 13 5/8” and a drop of approximately 2 3/4” and cast off of approximately 3/16"
  • Available in curly maple, walnut or cherry wood or provide your own stock (2 1/2" by 60" by 7" minimum blank size)
  • Buttplate is approximately 2” in width and slightly over 5” in height.
  • Brass mounted
  • 43.25” custom profiled barrels. Breech 1.125” and waist approximately .800”. A very nice contoured barrel. It comes standard in square bottom rifling.
  • Kibler's CNC Round Faced English Flintlock
  • Available with or without a sliding wood patchbox (no additional charge)
  • Set up for a single trigger.
  • Stock CNC machined for extremely close tolerances and fine surface finish
  • All holes drilled in the stock.
  • Minimal work required for part fitting.
  • Barrel has all sight dovetails cut, the underlugs are machined into the barrel, and the barrel is drilled and tapped for a White Lightning style touch hole liner which will come pre-installed
  • Breech plug/tang is fully machined, shaped, and installed
  • Comes with all parts necessary to complete the rifle
  • Right hand only
  • A very precise and well-designed kit with beautiful lines and styling.

Southern Mountain Rifle

Description​

• Styling from the 1820s based on the work of Whitson in western North Carolina
  • Stock has a pull of about 13.75” and a drop of approximately 3 5/8” and no cast off
  • Available in curly maple, walnut or cherry wood or provide your own stock (2 " by 61" by 7" minimum blank size)
  • Buttplate is approximately 1.375” in width and 4.5” in height.
  • Iron mounted
  • 44” custom profiled barrels. Breech .938” and waist approximately .700”. A very nice contoured barrel. It comes standard in square bottom rifling.
  • Kibler's CNC Ketland Flintlock
  • Kibler's CNC machined double set triggers.
  • Barrel has all sight dovetails cut, the underlugs are machined into the barrel, and the barrel is drilled and tapped for a White Lightning style touch hole liner which will come pre-installed
  • Breech plug is fully machined and shaped and comes fit and installed
  • Right hand only.

Copied from the Kibler Site.

"Woodsrunner"

• Inspired by an original rifle, commonly referred to as the "Woodsrunner" which many believe to have been made in the valley in Virginia during the 1760s.
  • Reminiscent of a true frontier rifle
  • Weight 7 ½ to 8 Lbs.
  • Barrel Length 39 ¾”
  • .45, .50, .54 caliber
  • Nicely Swamped Barrel
  • Pull 13 7/16
  • Cast-off 3/16"
  • Drop at Heel: 3” to 3 ¼”
  • Drop at Comb: 1 ¾” to 2”
  • Butt Width: 2”
  • Butt Height: 5”
  • Cherry, Walnut, Maple, Fancy Maple, Extra Fancy Maple
  • Kibler Round-Faced English Lock
  • Sliding Wood Patchbox Only
  • Brass Hardware
  • Single Trigger
  • Very handy and easy to carry
  • Customer Supplied Wood needs to be 57 1/2” long and 2 ¼” thick

Colonial Rifle Kit

Description

• Styling from the 1760’s -1770’s
  • Representative of rifles produced in many of the colonies during this time period.
  • Stock has a pull of about 13 5/8” and a drop of approximately 2 3/4” and cast off of approximately 3/16"
  • Available in curly maple, walnut or cherry wood or provide your own stock (2 1/2" by 60" by 7" minimum blank size)
  • Buttplate is approximately 2” in width and slightly over 5” in height.
  • Brass mounted
  • 43.25” custom profiled barrels. Breech 1.125” and waist approximately .800”. A very nice contoured barrel. It comes standard in square bottom rifling.
  • Kibler's CNC Round Faced English Flintlock
  • Available with or without a sliding wood patchbox (no additional charge)
  • Set up for a single trigger.
  • Breech plug/tang is fully machined, shaped, and installed
  • Right hand only

Southern Mountain Rifle

Description​

• Styling from the 1820s based on the work of Whitson in western North Carolina
  • Stock has a pull of about 13.75” and a drop of approximately 3 5/8” and no cast off
  • Available in curly maple, walnut or cherry wood or provide your own stock (2 " by 61" by 7" minimum blank size)
  • Buttplate is approximately 1.375” in width and 4.5” in height.
  • Iron mounted
  • 44” custom profiled barrels. Breech .938” and waist approximately .700”. A very nice contoured barrel. It comes standard in square bottom rifling.
  • Kibler's CNC Ketland Flintlock
  • Kibler's CNC machined double set triggers.
  • Breech plug is fully machined and shaped and comes fit and installed
  • Right hand only.

Copied from the Kibler Site.
Thank you!

Back