• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Zouave, 30 years later

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trot

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I still remember as a teenager, drooling over the Navy Arms ads for the Zouave rifle. Always wanted one, don't know why,but always did. Never did get around to getting one, til now. One called my name on Gunbroker and it is now mine. It is not a Navy Arms, it is a Sears and Roebuck. I don't know when I can get around to shooting it, but first chance I get I will!

I just bought my 2nd Zouave from DGW (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3484&osCsid=538d03c44394d103fdcd34d3982fa237).

My Zouave also says Sears etc but also says its made by Antonio Zoli.
515 gr mini ball & 60 grs of FFg fun to shoot.

378903457.jpg

Congrats on the new gun. I also just picked up a Armi Jager Zouave that's 35 years old and hasn't been fired. I just finished tuning the lock to reduce creep and pull so it's ready to go as soon as I get some warmer weather. Had a Navy Arms Zouave years ago that I never should have sold.
2314731620104169197S600x600Q85.jpg

Mine is a Zoli built one as well. I have had it out a couple of times but the weather hasn't cooperated to do any serious work with it. The wind plays havoc with that big old minie ball!

I have one too. A very looooong trigger pull. How did you fix it? Did you build up the trigger plate? I have been trying to figure out a way to fix mine. I shoot it with round balls. It won't group a minnie. I think it has a slow twist. The round balls will group one hole in 25 yards.

I finally got out some with mine. It seems to get a pretty decent group at fifty yards with a .577 minie, unfortunately not near the point of aim! I guess I will have to replace the front sight. I plan on fooling with it some more today.

The very first muzzleloader I ever shot was a Zouave, That was 40 years ago when I was in Cub Scouts!
If they only knew what they started way back then.
I'm still addicted to muzzleloaders 40 years later.
I can't believe it's been that long now.
I never have bought a Zouave but if I stumble on one one day at a good price I'd certainly buy it just for old times sake.
I still know the man who's Zouave I shot, He lives thousands of miles away and is in his 70's now.
I talked to him recently on facebook and he still has that old Zouave.
That's a very nostalgic rifle for me.

A Zouave was the first ML I ever owned. I paid $69 for it at a Heck's Dept. store in '74. It was some off-brand with a two piece mis-matched stock and no bayonet lug. I can't remember the maker. I sold it in '82 after buying an Enfield. It didn't shoot Minies real well, but was hell on wheels with a patched round ball despite poor sights. I've kicked myself several times for selling it.

The Zouave I got shot great groups with patched balls and a small powder charge. At 25 yds it was three inches high, as I recall at 50 it was five inches high, but with 35 grains of powder at 100 yds, it was pretty much right on. I bought it at an auction near Winchester VA, and a fellow told me that it had been his father's target gun and it was supposed to be set up for 100 yds with a small charge. If I use anything over 70 grains, it couldn't hit a semi at 100 yds, but that little charge is just perfect.

The loose play on the trigger I can live with. I didn't like how long the pull(creep) was so I followed the instructions on this site: http://www.nwtskirmisher.com/useful-locks.shtml
It explains how to tune your lock pretty well. I basically polished the top of the trigger plate and the sear arm and then added a brass shim to reduce the depth of the full cock notch on the tumbler. I didn't reduce the sear spring but did polish up all the parts in the lock to make them operate smoother. Use caution when modifying the tumbler. I tested the engagement integrity by thumping the butt plate against the floor several times to make sure it would stay cocked. You can see how deep the sear notch is and how rough the parts are in these pictures.
2821351370104169197S600x600Q85.jpg

2992017390104169197S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The half cock should hold the weight of the gun. put on half cock w/ barrel down and finger on trigger and let it hang. OH ya make sure it is not loaded and is uncapped!
Also your sear locks like it has already been worked from th photo

I picked up my Zouave two years ago and love shooting it. I have toyed with the idea of joining an outfit with the N-SSA. This is mine:

63Zouave.jpg

I had to remove the bluing becasue the guy that owned the gun before me had used Naval Jelly to clean up some rust on the barrel. He didn't know what he was doing and really made a mess. I plan on browning the barrel when I have the time.

As far as what bullet to shoot, I found the RCBS Hodgdon Miniball bullet mould and it is made to order for my gun. This was a five shot group at 50 yds:

58calZouave.jpg

It is amazing how well these old style guns can shoot.

Rafsob, your still has the leaf sights, that's pretty good shooting. I just put some white nail polish on the back of my front blade, its a tad hard for these old eye's to see, should have it back out soon if the rain will stay away.
What powder & load are you using?
Tom

Latest posts

Back