• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Year and blanks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Let me one of the first to wish everyone a great 2010.
Does anybody shoot flintlocks off at midnight? What are the chosen metods of holding the powder in the barrel. Obiviously a patched round ball would not be first on the list. Flintlocks are real cool at night!

I don't know about your local conditions but either a wadded up patch, a smoothbore over powder or cushion wad, or even paper can all be used with caution since all can cause serious injury or even fire when shot from your gun. You can do without anything over the powder but you'll have to ensure the powder is back at the breech after you prime and then keep the barrel pointed up. You'll get a louder report though if you use some type of wadding over the powder.

Have fun and Happy New Year.

For shooting blanks in black powder guns. Load the powder down the barrel then take a like amount of cream of wheat mush and load on top then take the rod and pack it in. The mush packs the groves and builds the pressure so you get the big bang. The mush disipates when shot no fire issue if it is dry out.

I have heard of many smooth bore shooters packing their shot with dry (uncooked) Cream of Wheat.

We just laid in bed and listened for AK rounds punching holes in the roof. The times (and demographics) they are a changin'.

Since I use blanks in reenactments all the time, I usually have a number of 90-100 gr. blanks rolled up. I just dump the powder down the barrel and ram in the paper on top of it. Then, prime the pan and touch her off. That's very loud in a rifle and puts out a nice long flash. Since we still have snow on the ground here, I didn't have to worry about the smoldering bits of paper starting a fire.

Without snow on the ground, you do have to watch for smoking remnants of paper. There's not much to them, but that can start dry grass to smokin' and I've had to stomp out more than a few of them before. Not a problem as long as your watching for it.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

My son and myself shot three blank rounds off at 12:00:01 2010. Our houses are not close together because we live in the country but someone south of us got off about 90 AK (or simular) rounds to our three! Who knows where they went.

Yes, ain't flintlocks cool at night? We just used 70 grains and several cleaning patches stuffed down the barrel. We also have snow on the ground around 15 inches which has brought up another test idea. How flintlocks handel snow or snowing conditions?

ebiggs said:
Yes, ain't flintlocks cool at night? We just used 70 grains and several cleaning patches stuffed down the barrel. We also have snow on the ground around 15 inches which has brought up another test idea. How flintlocks handel snow or snowing conditions?

When I started using flintlocks, I was living in Vermont. Now I'm in Southwest Virginia. While in Vermont, if you wanted to avoid shooting in the snow, you didn't shoot much. I'd much rather shoot in the snow than in the rain because the snow, depending upon where you are, can be pretty dry, especially if the temps are in the 20's. Just keep the snow out of the pan and everything works fine.

HOWEVER...Bore Butter freezes really hard and you can't use that for your patch lube. If you spit patch at 11° (only option after my Bore Butter transformed itself into a hammer), you need to seat the ball as soon as you pull the patch out of your mouth. After I whipped up a batch of Stumpy's Moose Snot, I didn't have a problem.

Rain on the other hand can make it really tough to shoot because the humidity in the air will turn your powder to goo pretty quickly. I'd much rather rather shoot in the snow than in the rain.

If you keep your pre-lubed patches in an inside, shirt pocket, your body heat will keep the lube softer. I do recommend changing the lube when it gets much below freezing, by mixing either more oil or alcohol with your usual lube. I have used alcohol for a " lube " when shooting at the range, instead of a spit patch. I think a thin vegetable oil with some alcohol in it, or even one of the window cleaners with alcohol will also make an adequate patch lube, at hard freezing temperatures.

When you get out in -20 degrees, and lower temps, then I think you have to consider synthetic oils made for aircraft industry use. Ballistol( mineral oil with additives to remove mercury), and olive oil also seem to work well even at these obscenely low temperatures. Jojoba oil is also another oil that seems to stay liquid at low temperatures.

The air is so dry when its below freezing outside, that Black Powder generally remains very dry in the barrel. Don't be taking a loaded barrel into a warm car, truck, or home, however, as the warmer air will hold moisture which will condense on the colder barrel. If it gets inside the bore, it will foul the powder.

One of the advantages of using a Horn to carry powder in the field, instead of a metal flask, or metal container is that horn quickly assumes the temperature of the atmosphere around it, and moisture doesn't condense on it surface, as it will on any metallic surface. Plastic containers are as bad as metal one, for condensation, so they also should not be used.

When hunting out in snow and cold, I tend to keep my powder horn, and my lubed patches Under my coat in my hunting pouch. That allows the heat from my body to keep these objects warm. I wear several layers of garments against my skin so moisture is trapped in those layers, and is not condensing on the powder horn or any of the items in my hunting pouch.

I am going to start a new thread about shooting in the snow and cold. Would it be alright with you two last posters to copy your replies, or you could re-reply, to that thread? At least it will be eaiser to find if someone searches for flintlocks in the snow.
EB

Didn't shoot at midnite but for the 4th of July I get a bunch of coin rollers from the bank. Twist up one end and pour in your charge and twist the other end.You can unwist and pour into the barrel or tear off the end with your teeth.Ram the paper on the charge and you don't have to keep the barrel pointed up. If you want to shoot lots of shots quickly skip ramming the paper. It's not as loud but you can get off a lot more shots in a short time.

Thought about it, but seeing how I live in the middle of the city\town and inside a quarter mile of the police station I thought better of it... :hmm: :shake: :nono:

ebiggs said:
I am going to start a new thread about shooting in the snow and cold. Would it be alright with you two last posters to copy your replies, or you could re-reply, to that thread? At least it will be eaiser to find if someone searches for flintlocks in the snow.
EB

Certainly fine with me ebiggs, and I'm sure Paul wouldn't mind either.

Latest posts

Back