• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New tool ! Forge ! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a really good deal for 150.00 I remember forging my first blade with coal I wound up cooking the steel because I left it in to long and was giving it to much oxygen but this is how we learn. Really terrific find. I am green with envy, Ha Ha..

I had one of those forges. The belt broke in the middle of a job. Made one from several layers of duct tape. Lasted several years of light use.

Been FINALLY doin a bit of work on the new to me forge . Had the cover to the turee break , d@mn , and couple bolts break which I anticipated but its slowly coming apart . The blower is locked up so I have to drop the while thing , clean it out ,bunch of wasp in there , and clan up the shafts etc. ,open oil holes on top of shaft housing , replace broke studs , weld cover , then reassemble her . belt still looks good , believe it or not ... Love to get her done ASAP for forging trigger guards but also its great for , so easy and quick , to run round ball using a little forge like this . I need some round ball after sighting in my NW and the south paw Carolina Gun .... Any who ... Hopefully not too long a wait , we'll see .

Attachments

• IMG_20230831_114211.jpg
    IMG_20230831_114211.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230831_114215.jpg
    IMG_20230831_114215.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230831_114304.jpg
    IMG_20230831_114304.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230831_114236.jpg
    IMG_20230831_114236.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Gotta cut two bolts off this sucker and hopefully have it apart tomorrow or the next ....just ain't been able to lately ... Can't wait to have her working . So exciting !
That is a nice looking forge and it will be great when you have it working. I have a gas forge, can’t beat it for convenience but it is not so good for localized heat or big, oddly shaped pieces.

That is a nice looking forge and it will be great when you have it working. I have a gas forge, can’t beat it for convenience but it is not so good for localized heat or big, oddly shaped pieces.
Ah , thats cool bud . Like to see that some time . You forge a lot of knives er such ? I ain't made a knife in so long ....kinda sounds fun now ! Be fun to do on this little forge .

Been FINALLY doin a bit of work on the new to me forge . Had the cover to the turee break , d@mn , and couple bolts break which I anticipated but its slowly coming apart . The blower is locked up so I have to drop the while thing , clean it out ,bunch of wasp in there , and clan up the shafts etc. ,open oil holes on top of shaft housing , replace broke studs , weld cover , then reassemble her . belt still looks good , believe it or not ... Love to get her done ASAP for forging trigger guards but also its great for , so easy and quick , to run round ball using a little forge like this . I need some round ball after sighting in my NW and the south paw Carolina Gun .... Any who ... Hopefully not too long a wait , we'll see .
My blower was full of wasps a couple years ago. Tried to crank it (no fire, just testing it as it hadn't been used in a while) and they poured out like a waterfall. They got me pretty good. Jokes on them though. I've got bug spray...

My blower was full of wasps a couple years ago. Tried to crank it (no fire, just testing it as it hadn't been used in a while) and they poured out like a waterfall. They got me pretty good. Jokes on them though. I've got bug spray...
Ah shoot bud ! I was lucky ...they were southern Ohio wasp so they were pretty slow , LOL .... They didn't get me ....man , that wheel.is frozen ! I thought it was just full but its rust frozen . I'll get er but ....hard ta tell what all it'll take . Can't wait to.use it !/Even if to run some round ball the first time ! Gonna be great . its so cool lookin !/

Ah shoot bud ! I was lucky ...they were southern Ohio wasp so they were pretty slow , LOL .... They didn't get me ....man , that wheel.is frozen ! I thought it was just full but its rust frozen . I'll get er but ....hard ta tell what all it'll take . Can't wait to.use it !/Even if to run some round ball the first time ! Gonna be great . its so cool lookin !/
It is pretty cool looking. Wish I had a really cool older one like that. Mine is a homemade job but, for my limited forging skills, does ok. Good luck with it.

Nice forge !!! Once it is up and running you will be having a great time forging. I love forging in coal. I can control the amount of heat by the amount of air I push into it. I can get it crazy hot, or just enough dull orange for smaller projects.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Just saw an anvil up for sale. Asking $5.50. Per pound. 140 lbs equals $770 WOW!

Yeah, the price of a good anvil is absolutely shocking. I have a hunch that there are going to be a lot them for sale in the next 5-7 years though, when the current craze created by the "Forged in Fire" TV series dies down.

I saw that with high pressure air compressors and bank bottles when all the paintball places started going out of business. I got mine (I teach scuba diving and fill over 250 tanks a year) for < 1/3 of what the same set up new price would be. It's just not everybody that can actually use an air compressor capable of producing 5000+ psi, and they don't convert very readily for shop use. (Those units are cheaper too.) Mine is only 5 cfm (@ 5000 psi) and most bigger shop compressors are around 20 (@ 200 psi).

Last edited:
Ok ...so finally got it all apart . Bolts I could break loose I cut with the wiz wheel , and my fingers as per usual ... but got her apart . The ratcheting mechanism is still working good but the blower was locked up ...but I really dont k ow why ...nothing major it came right apart after couple taps .... That goodness I had some bolts on hand , didnt have to make special town trip first before reassembly

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_132918.jpg
    IMG_20230901_132918.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230901_132920.jpg
    IMG_20230901_132920.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230901_132846.jpg
    IMG_20230901_132846.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230901_133350.jpg
    IMG_20230901_133350.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
The belt , crazy aS it seems , is still in good shape ! Appears original too ! Probably jinxed myself there , knock on wood , the blower tapped out good then I wire wheeled the shafts and blades clean and cleaned out the axle housings too with bronze brush on drill ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_145426.jpg
    IMG_20230901_145426.jpg
  • IMG_20230901_134105.jpg
    IMG_20230901_134105.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230901_133350.jpg
    IMG_20230901_133350.jpg
I put the m&%$# f&%$#@ back together and the f&%$#@ fan was locked up ....had to take it all apart , put it back together the same way and then it worked just fine , no idea ....irritating , lol .... Replaced all the bolts I had to cut with new ones , torqued them.all down good ....works good . I still have to have my buddy weld the turre cover that goes on the bottom then bolt it on but other than that its done and working ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_145426.jpg
    IMG_20230901_145426.jpg
  • IMG_20230901_132846.jpg
    IMG_20230901_132846.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back