• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another new tool , Anvil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looky what I just picked up today . Just out of the blue ... 232 pd. Peter Wright Anvil !! Ain't this something ?! Made between 1852 - 1890

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_172227.jpg
    IMG_20231104_172227.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231104_172451.jpg
    IMG_20231104_172451.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231104_172801.jpg
    IMG_20231104_172801.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231104_172931.jpg
    IMG_20231104_172931.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231104_172241.jpg
    IMG_20231104_172241.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You can buy a top of the line new one for about $8/lb. Nice score, Rob, I resorted to buying a Vevor 66 lb of the same pattern for a little over a hundred bucks, it does everything I need done with an anvil.
Oh , I'm pretty sure a Peter Wright will serve me well . This weight Peter Wright anvil goes for around $800 + . I got it for $200 bucks ... Didnt see this deal coming !! Very cool. P.S. I thought it was heavier , its probably worth in the 400-500 range in these parts .

Last edited:
what did you say your address was??
i have been lusting after a good anvil for 50+ years.
that one would fill the bill! congrats.
Thanks bud . Blows me away finding an English 19 th century anvil . Never thought I'd own another anvil . Ever since that d@mn " Forged in Fire " prices of forge equipment went stup!d !! but .... Last year I found my forge for $150 and now this beauty for $200 ...
Crazy good ! I dont have a lot of use for an anvil., all I forge are triggers and trigger guards , and ive been using railroad track for a few years now but ....this anvil is a beauty ! I'm starting to.make forged lock screws now in the forge so the hardy hole will be good for my form for the heads . Seams a little over kill though.for bolts ! LOL .... Funny ,I was driving and my buddy waved me down .... Look at this here anvil I found in an old barn " he says ... I saw Peter Wright and d@mn near Shitte myself ! Neat !!

Great find Rob, well done. Your anvil weighs 152 lbs. Anvil weights are expressed using the English "stone" weight system. First number (1) is in hundredweight (112 pounds). Second number (1) is in quarter hundredweight (28 pounds). Third number (12) is actual pounds (12). So, 112+28+12= 152 pounds. Perfect size unless one is forging ship's anchors. You're likely aware that no grinding should be done to any anvil to flatten the work surface. Tempting, but the hard steel top plate is only about 1/4" to 3/8" thick on wrought anvils; they become dished from compression more so than abrasion. Even wire brushing using a right-angle grinder is frowned upon by purists like myself. Oil and steel wool and use are all that's required for these old gems.

Great find Rob, well done. Your anvil weighs 152 lbs. Anvil weights are expressed using the English "stone" weight system. First number (1) is in hundredweight (112 pounds). Second number (1) is in quarter hundredweight (28 pounds). Third number (12) is actual pounds (12). So, 112+28+12= 152 pounds. Perfect size unless one is forging ship's anchors. You're likely aware that no grinding should be done to any anvil to flatten the work surface. Tempting, but the hard steel top plate is only about 1/4" to 3/8" thick on wrought anvils; they become dished from compression more so than abrasion. Even wire brushing using a right-angle grinder is frowned upon by purists like myself. Oil and steel wool and use are all that's required for these old gems.
I really appreciate you deciphering the weight bud ! I hadnt gotten to it yet . Just got it . I'd have swore it was at least 200 pound or better though carrying it around ! Gettin old sucks ! LOL ! Still surprised about the weight !!
. Oh no , ifn I keep it it'll be taken care of properly and covered . Thank you Sir !

Last edited:
You're very welcome. Blacksmith's golden rule: never set an anvil on the floor/ground; a pain getting them back up again. It's suggested to always set them on something waist-high if moving them by hand. Of course, I read that after picking mine up a few times.

You're very welcome. Blacksmith's golden rule: never set an anvil on the floor/ground; a pain getting them back up again. It's suggested to always set them on something waist-high if moving them by hand. Of course, I read that after picking mine up a few times.
LOL !! Yep , and ive had spine surgery before so ... I'm gettin some help after I get a good stump for it ! :)

Back