• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me TVM .40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye66

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my TVM .40, I purchased from member 'Custom Smokepole'
It is a Late Lancaster (aged not to shiny)
Chamber's Deluxe Siler lock (aged finish)
Davis double set triggers.
13/16"x 40cal. x 42" DeHaas barrel (aged finish)
My first Long Rifle ! Have yet to shoot it, still gathering supplies.
Christmas came early for me this year :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/flakvest64/TVM 40 Cal Flintlock Rifle/

Last edited by a moderator:
Your rifle looks like an Early Virginia. What would be the differences, between a Late Lancaster and an Early Virginia rifle. By the way...it is a beautiful rifle.

Beautiful...I recently got its twin...a Late Lancaster that looks like it was cut out of the same tree, but with a 38" barrel...you should love it, enjoy!
:thumbsup:

Jerry, that is one nice looking rifle! You will be proud to show it off/shoot it.

I am certainly no expert on the different styles of rifles. TVM said it was a Late Lancaster, when I E-mailed them for info on the rifle.

Thanks, I can't wait to shoot it :hatsoff:
Hopefully my order of supplies for it will be here soon...

That is a very nice rifle. Congrats to you! :thumbsup:

An "Early Virginia" rifle would have a wider and flater buttstock and be a bit "beefier" rifle so to speak. Genererally speaking it think they would tend to be in larger calibers(.50+) also and may have different funiture and perhaps triggers then the Late Lancaster. The architechture of the stock may be a bit different too. These are just some differences. :hmm:

That is a beautiful rifle! I have one in .40 with a plainer stock. They do shoot great.

A late Lancaster looks nothing like an EVa rifle. All you have to do is look at the stock.....or the hardware. Sheesh!

Very nice! I like the finish, too. Be sure and post an update when you get to the range :thumbsup:

Beautiful rifle and you are going to love it. I have an Early Virginia in 54 cal with a much plainer stock. The differences in the stock, particularly at the but are significant. Yours is more narrow and for lack of better words "graceful". My Early Virginia looks like a working man's gun. All business and no play.

Hey I just started shooting flintlocks 3 months ago. I'm on here trying to learn something. I guess I was looking at one of Clay Smith's rifles from Williamsonburg Virginia that was a Late Virginia rifle and I thought he said "Early" sheeez!

hadden west said:
Hey I just started shooting flintlocks 3 months ago. I'm on here trying to learn something. I guess I was looking at one of Clay Smith's rifles from Williamsonburg Virginia that was a Late Virginia rifle and I thought he said "Early" sheeez!
if you can share a link I'd appreciate it..I haven't seen anything called a Late Virginia yet...I know of Early Virginias...and Early and Late Lancasters...but so far have missed a Late Virginia. If you don't have a link maybe some others do...

Sorry I didn't say that with more tact but it actually wasn't intended for you. I understood you were new to the sport but there are others on this forum with years of experience who've said the very same thing but should know better. This just seemed like an opportunity to get it across to them. Again I apologize for my rather thoughtless remark. This IS a good forum and I know you will enjoy it here with us.

Back